1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Modmod] Watermill Rebalance Mod

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Imp. Knoedel, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Knoedel Imperator Satani Filius Augustus Nooborum

It is no secret that I am strongly opposed to Leoreth's Watermillphobia (will translate to proper Greek or Latin tomorrow), nerfing the best and most glorious of all improvements into the ground by halfing the commerce it provides. Since he remains steadfast in his wrong ways I saw no choice but to take care of the problem myself, and have thus created a little modmod to bestow upon this most noble of inventions the perks it truly deserves.

Behold, the glory that is Watermill:

ALL GLORY TO THE WATERMILL

Just unpack this here .rar in your DoC folder and let it overwrite the unclean files to purge your game of all heretic content. You won't be needing base DoC any longer now that you have a mod that truly appreciates the Watermill.

2. soul-breathing

soul-breathing Chieftain

Jesus Crazy...

3. DarkLunaPhantom

DarkLunaPhantom Chieftain Supporter

Thank you for this, albeit minor, but much needed balance change. However, I still think that it should be also buildable by fishing boats because, after all, it is called WATERmill.

4. youtien

youtien Lyricist

Impressive.

5. Stuart98

Stuart98 Chieftain

You sir are mad.

6. 2015

2015 Chieftain

7. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

I like you.

8. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

The +1 :food: from Central Planning should be removed; it's a bit overkill combined with this much needed fix.

9. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

There are only three things one can do when disagreeing with Leoreth: (a) get over it and keep playing the mod, (b) get over it and create your own modmodmod, (c) do nothing. Meaning literally. Don't get over it and don't play.

10. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

You're assuming there is a disagreement in the first place. Maybe you shouldn't project so much.

11. BenZL43

BenZL43 Physician - still can't spell this correctly.

never mind

12. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Isn't 100% tile defense a bit too little? I mean, it has a devastating, turning mill. The mill easily cracks all attackers.

13. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

Watermill: Enemy units entering this tile are hit by the wheel and flung into the air for a total of 3 to 6 tiles in a direction parallel with the wheel's direction.

14. clanky4

clanky4 Chieftain

100% historically accurate. Probably should have renamed 3 gorges dam to Great Watermill though.

15. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

As a Dutchman, I take great offence to this, and demand Windmills to be boosted in accordance. One turn buildtime, buildable by all units, on every single tile, granting +10 food, +10 production, and +10 commerce.

16. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Knoedel Imperator Satani Filius Augustus Nooborum

Oh yes, unfortunately my modding skills aren't good enough for that, only XML tweaks.

They always call that people far ahead of their time.

But then the end yield of a watermill will only ever be infinity - 2 Food, assuming infinite Hammers and Commerce after infinite Future Techs. I think infinity -1 Food is much more realistic, especially in planned economies which are known far and wide for the abundance of food stuffs they provide for their peoples.

All of these are valid points indeed, but again my modding skills are not up for it I'm afraid. But one can hope that Leoreth will see the light and introduce my modmod in the next release.

Take offense all you want, the primary cause of this quarrel is that before I enacted my changes windmills unrealistically were for all intents and purposes better than watermills.

I'm also thinking about redoing religions. The importance of people like Jesus, Buddha and Mohamed pales in comparison with the various ways watermills were used over the course of history. I could have one religion focus on the food output and another on production for example. Oh the possibilities!

17. youtien

youtien Lyricist

@Happy Tree Friends

18. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

Just think of this as a dam with gaps (an E-dam).

19. youtien

youtien Lyricist

Build a watermill and directly win the game, this will be called watermill victory.

20. Novicenoble

Novicenoble Chieftain

very historycal, much balence, wow.