MODS compatible with Vox Populi (VP)

vyyt

Deity
Mods compatible with the Vox Populi (VP)

This thread is meant to track compatibility of mods you might want to try in combination with the standard Vox Populi (VP) (ex Community Balance Patch). The mods are divided into following categories, each category is in its own post:

• Compatible "out of the box"
  • Incorporated into VP
  • Compatible after tweaking some files / need special VP version
  • Not compatible

Important notice:

1. VP is still under development, which means the compatibility might change in time. If you find a mod in a wrong category, please write a comment and I will update the list.
  2. Mods in CiV are strange beasts. Sometimes a mod seems to be incompatible for 1 player, but works fine for another (usually clearing the Cache and ModUserData folders helps, sometimes not).
  3. If you intend to use only the Community Patch component (CP) (= the core which improves AI and fixes bugs - no balance/rules changes), most mods should not conflict, however you cannot use CP together with any other mod using DLL

Therefore please do not take this list for 100% guaranteed.

Please contribute / help to update this list:

If you have tested a new mod with VP, please write a new comment (preferrable) or PM me (also fine, but I might overlook it) and include the mod name, state if it was or was not compatible and a download link will be nice too. I will update the list accordingly. If the mod is only partially compatible and some files need to be edited in order to make it work, please include instructions in your post or start a new thread and I will link it from here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Compatible "out of the box"

The mods below should be compatible with the standard VP setup right away. In addition to the mods below the vast majority of WHoward's Pick'N'Mix Mods should be compatible too unless the mod is already incorporated in VP or conflicts with something in it (which is very rare) - I list the incorporated ones and incompatible ones in the following posts above.

Sets/packages of multiple MOD groups from same author with their own thread / website:

List of separate MODs:

Last edited:
Incorporated into VP

These mods are part of VP - you do not need to download them separately. Actually you should not, as they might cause the game to crash. If you do have a stand-alone version of any of these mods, I recommend to remove it from your MODs folder and unsubscribe if you added it on Steam Workshop) as it might conflict with its VP version counterpart even if it is not activated.

Important: the links are included only to provide more information about the mods if you are not familiar with them, you are not supposed to use the links to download the mods - they are already incorporated in VP

Last edited:
Compatible after tweaking some files / need special VP version

Following mods work only partially with VP or only after altering some files either within VP or within the said mod - see the mod descriptions.

Last edited:
Mods NOT compatible with VP

Important: In addition to the mods listed below, any mod which contains DLL will not work with CP/VP.

• Aggressive and Expansive AI - Makes AI civs more aggressive, expansionistic and coveting your lands
  • Artificial Unintelligence Lite - includes DLL ; moreover VP does its own AI changes
  • Barbarians - Unlimited Exp - Removes the cap for experience gained from fighting barbarians. Use this workaround instead.
  • Barbarian Lands - Gone from the Steam workshop - probably not developed anymore???
  • City Banner Plus (v1) - Additional info in the city banners
  • City Limits - shows city border limits when in the city screen. Does not work with VP
  • Civ IV Leader Traits in Civ V - Does not crash the game, but conflicts badly with VP changes
  • The Cree civilization from Colonialist Legacies - The UU, UA, UB are broken with VP
  • Communitas Expansion Pack - This overhaul would surely conflict
  • Contextual Unit Names - Units are automatically given names based on their typ, origin, etc. - This is not compatible with EUI
  • Cultural Diffusion - The tiles can change ownership based on cultural pressure + units can capture tiles (optional) - This mod seems to work, but its effects (gained territory, etc.) are lost once you reload the game
  • Future Worlds - extends the Information Era by adding near-future technologies, improvements, buildings and units - these instructions to make it work with VP do NOT work anymore - maybe someone will update the mod and the instructions?
  • Global - City States Gifts - City States give gifts related to their type (cultural, maritime, mercantile, etc) ; not compatible with VP as both include CityStateDiploPopup.lua, CityStateDiploPopup.xml, CityStateGreetingPopup.lua and CityStateGreetingPopup.xml
  • Global - CS Raze Rarely
  • Horem's Art Resource's - See the Lite version for VP instead
  • Hulfgar's Modpacks - Adding / changing units, focusing on WWII era
  • Light Touch mod - Reported as buggy
  • Maps - Rotate starting positions - Let's you switch between the starting positions - it stopped working with the 6/22 version (when the new FOW rules applied). When you switch the starting location, you will meet the AI leader who had been assigned to it originally (otherwise it works)
  • More Pantheons - Addon - It does not crash the game, but its effects merge in an imbalanced / strange way with VP effects, therefore not recommended
  • Ominbus Mod - New buildings, units and resources
  • Pontoon Bridge - Lets you build bridges over 1-tile gaps between land masses - These instructions to make it compatible with VP used to work, but they do not seem to anymore - this results in CTD
  • Promotions - Ancient Ruins Choice - Gives the unique Shoshone promotion to all scouts - they can now choose the reward they get from ruins. Stopped being compatible - strange behavior, giving strange promotions to scouts, etc.
  • Promotions - Crossovers - ranged to melee promotions, etc.
  • Quiet Diplomacy - Some of the "meaningless" messages from AI civs are displayed as notifications instead of showing up the leader screens
  • Resources Expanded (v6)
  • Resources for cold Regions (Nord.Res Mod) - beta - Adds more resources to the cold regions
  • Scaling Great Merchant - Improves Great Merchants to make them comparable in value to Great Scientists and Great Engineers! This mod is compatible with most other mods ; This mod crashes the game with VP
  • Separate Great People Counters (BNW) - What the title says ; this mod crashes the game with VP
  • Smart AI - Parts of it are already incorporated moreover, you cannot have 2 DLL mods active at the same time.
  • Toft's flag and religion icons - Adds country flags and religion flags to city banners
  • Trading Posts Grow into Towns - Trading posts grow into towns after some period of being worked (may not be perfectly balanced with VP)
  • UI - City Expansion - Not compatible with the EUI version of VP
  • UI - Military Log - Not compatible
  • UI - Tech Enhancement Icons - Breaks spying in VP
  • Useful Oil Mod (v 10) - Adds new wonder, 5 new buildings and makes all mobile units require oil. It may be technically compatible, but definitely not balanced with VP.
  • YnAEMP DLL 43 civs - YnAEMP Earth map with 43 civs
  • YnAEMP DLL Leader fix for BNW

Last edited:
Are you playing CBP in combination with a mod not listed below? Did you try a mod in combination with CBP and it caused a crash or some strange glitches?

Then please leave a comment (preferrable) or PM me (I might overlook it) and I will add the mod to the lists below.

Please include the mod name, state if it was or was not compatible and a download link will be nice too.

JFD's custom civs pack 1 and 2 should be fully Compatible now unless I misunderstood him.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=474393 If a link is needed :D

Thanks. Yeah, if I remember correctly, that's what JFD said in another thread. I just hope all of the civs in the pack are compatible, so that we do not have to list them one by one :lol:

They look very nice, I will try some of them next time I play.

Thanks. Yeah, if I remember correctly, that's what JFD said in another thread. I just hope all of the civs in the pack are compatible, so that we do not have to list them one by one :lol:

They look very nice, I will try some of them next time, I play.

There were some things that were more or less optimal for the CPP style of play. All I did was report issues I could see in the civpedia. There are probably other things that needs ironing out, but the only way to find them is to have people try them out.

In other words they should work, but I'm not 100% sure that everything is balanced perfectly.

Compatible "out of the box"

And JFD's cultural diversity.
But can you group all of whoward's mod into one group?
just some simple formatting because many of his mods are quite similar in nature and they all are compatible for sure. No need to state the obvious. In fact I think we should remove Whoward's minimod from the list and instead put a link to direct to his website which is already very neat and well-organized already.

It is the "big" and popular mod that should be on the list, like JFD's civilization, his Cultural diversity, InfoAddict, RED Mod pack, YnAEMP...etcetc

And JFD's cultural diversity.
But can you group all of whoward's mod into one group?

You have a good point, the Whoward's mini-mods in the compatible list occupy too much of it and are distracting from the "big" mods. However:

1. Gazebo is incorporating more and more of the mini-mods to CBP. Usualy when you manually add one of these mini-mods which is already part of CBP, the game will crash upon setup
  2. A few mini-mods became incompatible because of the changes in the promotion systems and units. E.g. the anti-aircraft guns get only anti-air promotions mini-mod or the mini-mod which changes the paratroopers

So I think we should be tracking them somehow. Maybe remove them from the compatible list and keep only the ones in the non-compatible and incorporated in CPB lists? And link Whoward's page from the compatible list with a note "Most of these probably work if you cannot find them in the incompatible list ..."

It is the "big" and popular mod that should be on the list, like JFD's civilization, his Cultural diversity, InfoAddict, RED Mod pack, YnAEMP...etcetc
[QUOT]

Yes, I will browse the forums when I get some free time over the weekend and update the list with what I find. I remember the YnAMPENMPIMMPP was problematic, but it seems the problem has been solved, so I will just check the related thread and update the list. InfoAddict is already in, I have not tried RED, have you? If yes, is it compatible?

I will update the lists over the weekend - meanwhile, keep them comming ;)

Cheers!

Hello,

Thank you for your list, it's really helpful.

I see you state ethnic unit in there as compatible (with tweak) so I'm wondering will R.E.D work as well since the two (I assume) alter same area?

Reseed - Mod that let's you see the whole map and restart the map if you don't like it (can crash after restart, but it still saves the map in _reseed file so you can load from it after).

Hello,

Thank you for your list, it's really helpful.

I see you state ethnic unit in there as compatible (with tweak) so I'm wondering will R.E.D work as well since the two (I assume) alter same area?

Hi,

You are welcome.

The 2 mods use the same graphic models for some units + R.E.D. tweaks formations and size of units which should be fine. The problem with the Ethnic Units mod was that it renamed the identifier of the Great War infantry (only!) so the game crashed when it tried to apply the new model on the renamed unit - meaning everything seemed fine until somebody reached the Modern era.

I have not tried R.E.D. with CBP yet. I hope someone who has will report soon. If you try it out, please let me know the result and I will include it in the list. The thing is you can be sure for 100% only after you play the whole game (unless the game crashes right in the beginning - then we know it is not compatible :lol: ).

I have not tried R.E.D. with CBP yet. I hope someone who has will report soon. If you try it out, please let me know the result and I will include it in the list. The thing is you can be sure for 100% only after you play the whole game (unless the game crashes right in the beginning - then we know it is not compatible :lol: ).

UPDATE: Ok, I found out in another thread that someone reported R.E.D. was compatible, so I included it in the compatible mods list.

Thank you Vyyt, I tried to run a quick one with RED v 28 also, seem to work fine past modern era

Top Bottom