1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mods Meaningless, Right?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Sultan Bhargash, May 21, 2002.

1. Sultan Bhargash

Sultan Bhargash Trickster Reincarnated

Just a question, just making sure I know what is up -

"Mods" right now are meaningless, till the editor is fixed in the XP?

I mean, I have tried to make mods with the editor, nothing doing. I have tried downloading mods from this site, but as far as I can tell, they just open up the editor. And if I could figure out how to get them to work, they would just change some rules but there would be no great starting forces ready (I guess the world war 2 mod still starts with a settler, worker, right?)

How many of you have succesfully used or enjoyed mods for Civ 3, and what were they and how did they work? Has anyone downloaded units and used them to make new mods?

How much better will it be when we have a real editor and perhaps a unit gallery? Can it ever be as easy as it was in Civ2MGE?

2. littlebear

littlebear Chieftain

I'm confused on mods for the most part.

I do like the one that makes the barbarian camp look like a pirate thing.

I like one snoopy did, makes the trees and rivers look better (and mountains so on).

That's about it. I'm into the "visual" mods. Easy to figure out etc.

3. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

If you consider map changes and rules changes meaningless then I guess so. I don't, I usually play with custom rules (I don't like how combat in the Modern Era works so I changed it). The ability to make actual scenarios with forces and cities in place will come in time. I'm fairly certain that Firaxis will release the editor outside of the expansion. You can add units, etc. now, you just need to use 3rd party tools to do it. Go to the Creation forum for more info on all of this.

4. MrBiggBoy

MrBiggBoy High Admiral

I always use custom rules: Civ3 was designed to be edited by the player to his'her wishes. I use this to change many bombard and defense values. I think my version of the game is very good.

Try making a custom rules set, its really fun!!

5. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

Mods downloaded have to be played as scenarios, not clicked witht he mouse or so....

Esentially, the mods are changed rules, that´s all.... :(

6. Sultan Bhargash

Sounds like not so good. I did try changing the rules last night, which amounted to starting myself with all cultural traits, iron working, the wheel, masonry, and ceremonial burial, 5 settlers, 15 workers, 5 warriors, 5 explorers, 10 spearman, a scout and 5000 gold as a monarchy. But I felt pretty chumpy about it in the morning, and I would feel that way if I made deadlier catapults or useful privateers. I guess I am stuck waiting for the XP.

I hope EVERYTHING is modifiable in the next editor, including the cultural traits and what they are tied to and the wonders and what they do.

7. Stuie

Stuie Laudir Agus Mir

If you change the game to benefit only the player (adding all that starting stuff you mentioned - I assume the AI didn't gain the same benefits....), I don't blame you for feeling "chumpy". If you change the strengths of various units, the AI receives the same advantages that you do, and will use them against you.

I for one did not like the way naval forces worked so I....

1. Change movement costs as follows: Coast - 1, Sea - 2, Ocean - 3.
    2. Doubled movement for all ancient and middle era naval units.
    3. Changed industrial/modern era naval units (except the iron clad - I just doubled the movement on those) to treat all terrain as roads.
    4. Changed the nuke sub to carry four tactical missiles, and drastically increased the lethality (lethal vs. land & sea) and range of the cruise missile.
    5. Increased carrier transport capacity to six planes.
    6. Gave all air power lethal bombardment vs. sea units.

But, to each his own. If changing the game makes you feel dirty, then yes, you'll have to wait for the expansion.

8. Sultan Bhargash

I like how that sounds, Stuie. Can you zip it and post it?

I have been looking for a water world mod, one that makes islands playable- there would have to be much less corruption, and an early available transport ship (perhaps replacing scouts for expansionist civs), less need for lighthouse, quicker harbors, etc.

The thing about changing unit values for everyone is that the AI still relies on certain units and tactics more than others. AI is likely to build a ton of ironclads, never build tanks, etc.

The latest mod idea I have is to give every civ three attributes and three starting techs. With only two attributes per civ, you only have 15 combos, and thus there are repeats (with eight more repeats on the way, how blase). With three attributes per civ, you have 20 combos, and that means four don't even make it in. But there is no way to use the editor to give you more than 16 civs, right? That should provide some balance and some fast and furious development. But it still won't take "scenario" off of the final score on the scoreboard...

:rolleyes:

9. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

The AI actually adapts to well contructed units fairly well. By well contructed, I mean units that have the proper roles and actions set.

10. Daaraa

Daaraa King

I've used the LWC Mod and the new units that have been added are used quite well by the AI.
    As are the new techs. Yes, the LWC Mod is just altered Civ3 rules and stuff, but it changes things around a bit and the authour of the mod has done a good job and so it feels like a different game.

11. Stuie

Stuie Laudir Agus Mir

Will do. I should warn you though, I also modded all the world size options, but that's easy enough to switch back. Everything else is pretty standard. I'll have to post it tonight; I'm at work right now....

12. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

Mods meaningless...wrong.

You can't play a good real world map with accurate civilisation starting positions and strategic/luxury resource positions and rules relevant to that particular map without a mod...in particular my one :)

13. Sultan Bhargash

Thanks to everybody. I will consider these mods and continue to pray to the expansion gods. Like I say, Civ 2 MGE was super easy to put mods into, and Unreal Tournament (my other favorite game) is also easy, or includes an auto installer when it isn't. What I need is more auto installers- case in point, I looked at that new Turkish civ mod but couldn't be bothered to download 3 or 4 different things and figure out where to put them.

14. Stuie

Stuie Laudir Agus Mir

The preview info that gamespot posted today (see Thunderfalls thread...) includes something about a "mod manager". Sounds promising.

15. damunzy

damunzy recovering former mod Retired Moderator

There is a beta version of a user made mod manager in the Civ3 Creation and Customization forum. Check it out. I beleive it is in the Utility subforum.