mods not working

erwi0000

Chieftain
Hi!
So I'm having an interesting experience where I can't seem to run any mods that use anything other than just xml-files. I've no idea why this is but it's been a consistant problem where mods, or some times just parts of mods, simply will not work no matter what I do. Before anyone asks, yes I hit back and reload. The only thing I've been able to ascertain is that mods that only use xml work just fine. Trying to play on a newer, some what more updated computer I had no problems at all but my crappy old computer just hates lua and sql and whatever else is going on. I've tried setting video options to absolute minimum but that makes no difference.

This leads me to the obvious question of what the difference is between xml and the other files? I can't mod myself, I can at best slightly modify an existing mod but I have no real understanding of what goes on and how it works. At the moment my current greaf is that I can't use the Outer Heaven mod by Vicevirtuoso, especially the wonderful "New Colonist Type: Militaires Sans Frontieres
Earn +8 Science, +8 Culture, +12 Energy, and +3 Capital from every Kill" that I would dearly love to have for a purity game I was planning. Is there a way to code it just using xml or is it just too complicated for xml to handle?

Also, BE can't be shut down in any other way than by using Ctrl-Alt-Del and terminating it, only happens when using mods with more than xml.

Screenshot of how it looks when I try to use a mod that has more than xml:

Attachments

• CivBEScreen0007.jpg
    CivBEScreen0007.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 251
You know... I just went to the mod page, and the very first thing I see in the description is the following line: "NOT RISING TIDE COMPATIBLE". I don't think there is any way he could make it more obvious.

Anyway, as a general rule of thumb, most mods that use lua and have not been updated or released after Rising Tide was published are likely to not work with Rising Tide.

I had a quick look at his mod and, while I didn't specifically test it, if you only want the colonist types you can just delete the rest of the mod.

That's everything in the SQL-Folder with the exception of the three Loadout-Files and BigBossBuildings.sql + BigBossIconAtlases.sql.
And BigBossTraitScript.lua from the Lua-Folder must also be deleted.

If that works and you want to remove some of the unnecessary clutter you can also remove everything in the Art-Folder with the exception of the BigBossColonistAtlas<Number>.dss files, but then you also need to manually remove the images you deleted from the IconAtlas in BigBossIconAtlases.sql. Should be relatively self-explanatory, just delete the lines after the big "VALUES", with the exception of the three Loadout-related ones at the bottom.

Thank you for your reply, I would however like to point out that you are mistaken in your claim that the mod is not compatible with RT as there are 2 versions of it, one for vanilla and one for Rising Tide. I know this because it says;
"Outer Heaven (Metal Gear Solid)

DOWNLOAD:
Rising Tide
Vanilla

Rising Tide version:"

I think you might be looking at another mod, or maybe an old version, because the page for the mod I can see (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=536734) was updated on 13-1-2016.

However, thank you for your post and your suggestion, I've tried to follow your it, I actually tried to do that myself earlier but having no idea what I was doing I deleted way to much. Unfortunately it still does not work. While it does not mess up the graphics the colonist ability just simply does not work. This is a problem I'm having with basically all mods that use anything more than just xml.files, they simply do nothing what so ever or they mess up the graphics (as in the screenshot above) and then do nothing. One of my favourite mods (when playing on a computer that actually works) is Gaias' Incubator mod (Gaia doesn't seem to be a member here but he/she/it has made a bunch of mods for RT, they're on Steam) and when I try to use that it's the same thing, it just doesn't do anything. It's supposed to give you a starting orbital unit but I get no unit, same thing goes for all sort of mods I've tried (all of the RT-mods by the way) that add starting units, they do nothing.

Because of this I'm also a bit curious as to what you can and can not do with xml as that seems to be the only thing I can get working. Is there a way to make a civilization with a trait that gives for example 4/6/8 culture, scince and energy for every kill?

Top Bottom