[R&F] MODS that work on Mac

Cacimbinhas

Chieftain
Im really struggling to find mods that work with Mac on R&F. Im curious to know what mods you guys have got to work on R&F and if you getting them thru steam or downloading direct from creators?( i never D\L mods from steam)

We are a patch and a hotfix behind, so many mods won‘t work right now.

Subscribing to mods through the Steam Workshop is not working out since most of the time the Windows and Mac version are not in sync. Therefore mods will auto-update to become broken for Mac usually.
If you are comfortable with using Git, that is the way of working I am resorting to at the moment. I just check out the mod from the source repository and update / backtrack manually until it works. At the moment I am only using CQUI which is somewhat of an all-in-one mod so it saves some hassle anyway.

I am away for the weekend but I will try to post some notes here on how to get it working if I get the chance.

Subscribing to mods through the Steam Workshop is not working out since most of the time the Windows and Mac version are not in sync. Therefore mods will auto-update to become broken for Mac usually.
If you are comfortable with using Git, that is the way of working I am resorting to at the moment. I just check out the mod from the source repository and update / backtrack manually until it works. At the moment I am only using CQUI which is somewhat of an all-in-one mod so it saves some hassle anyway.

I am away for the weekend but I will try to post some notes here on how to get it working if I get the chance.

Yes please, I would appreciate a link and notes to download cqui so that it works with Mac’s current R&F version.

If you could send a link to CQUI it would be greatly appreciated. It's the one I miss the most. Thanks in advance

OK: So I will try to explain the way of working I am using at the moment. Don't hesitate to ask if something is not clear, as I don't know about your current knowledge.

Update: For the current 1.1.0 mac version without R&F (civ version 220), a CQUI release appears to have been made that actually works. So you could save the hassle below if you just want this version. Find it at https://github.com/Azurency/CQUI_Community-Edition/releases. You can just download the zip file and extract it into the Mods folder (see Preparation step 1).

Preparation
1. The Civ6 mods folder can be found at: /Users/<your username>/Library/Application Support/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Mods/ .
2. Disable the Steam workshop subscription and (re)move the files of non-working mods from the mods folder.
3. Get Git up and running on your mac. The easiest is to install Xcode command line tools, which will be the default suggestion when you try to run 'git' from a terminal (to launch that: command-space bar; Terminal)

Installing CQUI
We are using Git to download the mod from the source repository, to be able to navigate through history and allow relatively easy updating without the Workshop. The repository can be found at https://github.com/Azurency/CQUI_Community-Edition .
1. Go to the Civ6 mods folder with a Terminal. Clone CQUI with Git into the mods folder:
Code:
git clone https://github.com/Azurency/CQUI_Community-Edition.git CQUI
It should download the latest CQUI release to a folder inside Mods named CQUI. You can verify that before moving on. For your convenience, you can create a symbolic link to this location to easily reach it while trying steps 2 and 3 or updating in the future.
2. Start Civ6 and verify that the CQUI mod is recognized and enable it. Probably it's not working correctly yet because of the incompatibility between Windows and Mac. But now you know the mod is at least recognized. It just needs the right version.
3. In OSX, go with the Terminal into the newly created CQUI folder. If you don't have R&F, you can just checkout the tag that matches the current Mac version 220:
Code:
git checkout mac-1.0.0.220
Otherwise, you will probably have to follow the reference for more advanced usage below. Note that you can also use the CQUI Github page to examine history.
4. To go back to the most recent CQUI version (probably broken for Mac), you can always use "git checkout master". Use "git pull" to update CQUI from the repository when new changes have been added that may fix stuff that was previously broken, or when Civ6 was updated and the previously working CQUI got broken by this. When CQUI was updated for the new Mac version, probably a new tag was added as well.

I understand this way of working is quite cumbersome, but at least it is a way to get CQUI not only working at this moment, but to keep it working in a relatively manageable way.

Let me know if you need help or if something is wrong or unclear in the above. I can probably provide you with a zipped version of the CQUI version with the hash code above, but I cannot help you find the right working version with R&F as I don't have it. I hope this "teaching how to fish" will enable mac users to have fun playing Civ6 with mods and decrease frustration!

Reference for more advanced usage
You can use all git commands in the CQUI folder, so here are a few that might be handy when you have specific needs.
  • Use "git log" to see the CQUI history. Note that the developers gradually improve CQUI with different commits, containing new files and a supporting description. All commits have a specific hash code. A prettier version that is easier to read:
    Code:
    git log --pretty=format:"%h %ad | %s%d [%an]" --graph --date=short
    . Get out of this view with 'q'.
  • Use "git checkout <hash code>" to go back to that point in time and see if it works (step 2 above). The log comments give some hints about which ones might work out best for your version.
  • Finetuning: use "git checkout HEAD^1" to go back 1 commit in history. You could do that 1 commit at a time and try in Civ6 if it works, until you reach the point where CQUI works.
  • See git documentation for further ways of navigating through history.

Last edited:
I manage to have CQUI working on R&F mac : I did unsubscribed to the one on the workshop and deleted the files from my mac
Then I downloaded both version mention in the reply before this one .
I manually created a CQUI folder inside the MODS one and copied the latest Community edition to it
It worked but I could not open the tech tree, so I copied the file Assets/UI/Screens/techtree.lua from the 1.1.0 mac version to the https://github.com/Azurency/CQUI_Community-Edition

Top Bottom