Mods you like with Civ 6.

Larsenex

King
I love our community here. I have been here a few years and most of the folks can be passionate about this series of game. I love it and I can say that we may not always agree on some discussions we all come here to talk about Civilization.

What mods do you find you must have for your game and if you can tell me why?

For me? I must have Ynampc (the map pack). I cant play on anything smaller then huge.

Quo's Rocket boots - super simple but the extra movement really speeds up the game and actually seems to make the AI a little better at combat
Quo's combined tweaks mod is also quite good and has a lot of interesting changes (I think it includes Rocket boots)
Numpad movement - again simple but really an essential mod for me, not sure why this wasn't built into the game
Expanded City States (Civitas) - just got this one and it's awesome / tons more city states and even new types! They also start with walls so they survive longer
Sukritacts leaders (Iceland/Siam/Burma) - All of these are very well designed and fun to play - they even have 3D models! Burma is over-powered though.
Rule with Faith - Just an overall fun expansion with much more focus on religion and government and great theologians so it makes prophet points worthwhile all game
Dynamic Diplomacy - makes diplomacy smoother, tones down warmongering penalties, and the friendship bonuses are cool
YNAMP - wish there were even more maps, I'm kind of surprised at the lack of good map mods

I used to use AI+ a lot but now I go without it since the AI is quite a bit better at tactical combat now

Quick Start - skips the intro.

Proverbium - replaces the horrible quote with much better ones.

Everything else is optional.

For the longest time, the only mod I used was Gedemon's YNAMP. Although I don't often use it, the TSL maps are quite excellent. Mostly, I played on the Ludicrous map until the latest update seemed to fuss with it slightly. Now I play on the giant.

Its only in the past few weeks I have really started checking out other mods. Some highly positive mentions go to....

Civitas City-States. Very well done and pretty well balanced. Also, I have not been disappointed in other civilizations from the Civitas group.

Gedemo has offered up a number City-States and obscure civs that are quite enjoyable. Their civilopedia entries are quite extensive and the leader dialogue fits the civ pretty well.

ADLER gives us "The Glory of Rome" which offers up Caesar and his Rome, as well as the Eastern Roman Empire (Byzantine) under Constantine. Also from ADLER are mods with JFK and Hitler, as well as a couple fantasy based mods, such as Atlantis. All of these mods are quite over the top OP, but fun as heck and very well done. ADLER even warns they are more for sandbox play and should be played at the highest difficulty levels.

CutesyGoddess also offers some civs from a fantasy (or gaming?) genre that is anime in style. While anime itself is not normally my thing, these mods were also well done and rather fun to play against.

While the mods from ADLER and CutesyGoddess are indeed OP and will generally dominate any vanilla civ, it does even out when playing them in the same game. Just something to keep in mind. It was a hoot watching Atlantis destroy Hitler's Germany.

Last, but by no means least, is the Steel and Thunder units mod. Its the continuation of MOAR units by Deliverator23. For me, its become a must have. I like seeing gatling guns and riflemen and other transition type units or completely unique units.

These are just some that come to the top of my mind right now, but there are many others. Other modders I should mention would include Merrick, ChimpanG, JFD, Sukritact, Seelingcat, Sailor Cat and a few others.

Not every mod will meet every player's tastes, but I absolutely admire the folks who have put the work in to make such additional content for us all to enjoy. So far, none of the mods I have tried have conflicted with each other which makes things even sweeter.

What does bother me is reading some of the more unkind comments on the Steam site where the mods are uplaoded. Some people can get quite nasty if they don't like a mod, or the mod didn't work as expected for them. They act as if they were paying for the content and the modder owed them immediate answers or fixes.

These modders have skills I don't have and do work I am unwilling to. I don't think I could ever complain about a mod I got for free.

To those whiners and complainers, I quote from Monty Python's "Holy Grail".....
"I blow my nose at you!"

To those whiners and complainers, I quote from Monty Python's "Holy Grail".....
"I blow my nose at you!"
What the bleep !?? :confused:
I thought it was “I fart in your direction.”

What the bleep !?? :confused:
I thought it was “I fart in your direction.”
"I fart in your general* direction" is by far the most famous part of the taunt, but he also says "I blow my nose at you Arthur King" him and his silly K nights.

I fully agree with the favorable comments on the Modded Civs from Sukritact, Civitas, and others and Gedemon's City-States, but the one Must Have Mod for me is JFD's "Rule With Faith" which provides a much expanded and richer Social Policy game, with specific Religious and Cultural Policies, an early expanded Government selection, and a Great Theologian Great Person that gives you a use for some of those Post-Great Prophet points. I can't imagine playing without it now.

And the best thing about the Hitler alternate Leader is to play against it with the Stalin/Soviet Union modded Civ with hordes of T-34s and Pekhota (which is horribly inaccurate historically, but accurate in its Game Effect) storming Berlin in the Atomic Era...

I used to use CQUI but since it's still in beta for RF I use these are a replacement. These will probably go away when CQUI is more polished.
  • Hellblazer's City Overview - overhauls city interface and adds production queue.
  • Hellblazer's World Info Interface - Adds a Demographics and Diplomacy UI for snapshots on various things. Updated leader banners have more info so you can easily track things without digging through the UI
  • Unit Report Screen - Various reports that provide useful data
  • More Lenses - adds quite a few new lenses, some more useful than others
  • Map Tacks - lots of icons that can tack onto the map to help with planning
  • Better Espionage Screen - self-explanatory
  • Better Trade Screen- self-explanatory
  • Better Report Screen- self-explanatory
  • Sukritact's Simple UI Adjustments - Quality of Life improvements to the UI
I also use these regularly and they don't impact game balance:
  • Quick Start
  • Real Great People - adds pictures for all great people
  • Tomatekh's Historical Religions - just adds new religions and icons to the list
  • Immersive Dialogue - changes the flavor of some generic AI text to better suit the civ that is prompting it.
  • Alternative Fog of War - Clear Mid Fog - cleans up the map and makes it easier for me to see things out of line of sight
  • Detailed Worlds 1.45 - takes some of the base game maps and uses different generation scripts. I find them much better than base game
  • YnAMP
  • More Barbarian XP - increases cap on barb XP.. this is fine in my book because barbs are a more competent threat in this game
I sometimes use these if I want to spice things up - definitely changes game balance
  • 8 Ages of Pace (not compatible with RF) - normalizes research and era advancement
  • AI+ - If you like a domination chanllege, this is for you. It definitely makes the AI more military-focused but there are consequences.. seems to make them a little less prepared for peaceful victory types (even worse than before!)
  • CIVTAS City States Expanded - adds new types and more CS in general
  • Dynamic Diplomacy - a few new agendas, some minor diplo modifiers and friendship bonuses
  • Good Goody Huts - if you like goody huts, OMG this is the mod for you! Extremely unbalancing but fun
  • Resourceful 2 - tons and tons of new lux and bonus resources. I love this mod.
  • Starting Scout - why is there no starting scout? It makes no sense. Is it because no one will ever build one? I rarely do as it is...
  • Steel and Thunder UUs - adds new UUs for most, if not all, civs

Last edited:
Also....
waiting for CQUI release and am now using
* Better Report Screen
* Better Trade Screen
* More Lenses
* Production Queue
* Sukritact's Simple UI Adjustments

• Production Queue
  • Sukritact's Simple UI Adjustments
  • More Lenses
  • Real Great People
  • Map Tacks
  • YnAMP

Mods I use recently:
  • Quick Start
  • YnAMP
  • Hellblazer's City Overview; Hellblazer's World Info Interface (waiting for CQUI)
  • Better Report Screen (best quality of life mod for civ 6)
  • Better Civilopedia
  • Real Great People
  • TCS Free Walls for City-States
  • Free City States
  • Starting Free Cities [R&F]
  • Happy Farming
  • More Trade Routes
  • AI Strategy Conditions Fix
  • Garrison Bug Fix
  • Airpower AI Fix

Last edited:
So far. the best thing abut this Thread is the number of Mods being mentioned that I haven't tried yet for one reason or the other - gives me a list of 'tested and approved' Mods to try next!

I used to use CQUI but since it's still in beta for RF I use these are a replacement. These will probably go away when CQUI is more polished.
  • Hellblazer's City Overview - overhauls city interface and adds production queue.
  • Hellblazer's World Info Interface - Adds a Demographics and Diplomacy UI for snapshots on various things. Updated leader banners have more info so you can easily track things without digging through the UI
  • Unit Report Screen - Various reports that provide useful data
  • More Lenses - adds quite a few new lenses, some more useful than others
  • Map Tacks - lots of icons that can tack onto the map to help with planning
  • Better Espionage Screen - self-explanatory
  • Better Trade Screen- self-explanatory
  • Better Report Screen- self-explanatory
  • Sukritact's Simple UI Adjustments - Quality of Life improvements to the UI
I also use these regularly and they don't impact game balance:
  • Quick Start
  • Real Great People - adds pictures for all great people
  • Tomatekh's Historical Religions - just adds new religions and icons to the list
  • Immersive Dialogue - changes the flavor of some generic AI text to better suit the civ that is prompting it.
  • Alternative Fog of War - Clear Mid Fog - cleans up the map and makes it easier for me to see things out of line of sight
  • Detailed Worlds 1.45 - takes some of the base game maps and uses different generation scripts. I find them much better than base game
  • YnAMP
  • More Barbarian XP - increases cap on barb XP.. this is fine in my book because barbs are a more competent threat in this game
I sometimes use these if I want to spice things up - definitely changes game balance
  • 8 Ages of Pace - normalizes research and era advancement
  • AI+ - If you like a domination chanllege, this is for you. It definitely makes the AI more military-focused but there are consequences.. seems to make them a little less prepared for peaceful victory types (even worse than before!)
  • CIVTAS City States Expanded - adds new types and more CS in general
  • Dynamic Diplomacy - a few new agendas, some minor diplo modifiers and friendship bonuses
  • Good Goody Huts - if you like goody huts, OMG this is the mod for you! Extremely unbalancing but fun
  • Resourceful 2 - tons and tons of new lux and bonus resources. I love this mod.
  • Starting Scout - why is there no starting scout? It makes no sense. Is it because no one will ever build one? I rarely do as it is...
  • Steel and Thunder UUs - adds new UUs for most, if not all, civs
Is '8 ages of pace' compatible with R&F?

The UI needs a lot of help in this game.

Purely UI fixes:

• Population Notification - Notifies when a city's population grows
  • Barbarian Notification - Notifies when a barbarian camp spawns
  • Better Trade Screen
  • Better Espionage Screen
  • Better Report Screen
  • Borders Notification - Notifies when a city claims a new tile
  • Deal Expired Notification - Notifies when a deal has ended
  • Diplomacy World View (mine) - Shows world relations during diplomacy
  • Map Tacks - More map tacks. Great for district planning
  • More Lenses :-A great selection of additional lenses
  • Quick Start - Removes all opening animations
  • Simplified Gossip - Displays gossip using less text and makes it actually readable
  • Sukritact's Simple UI Adjustments - Many quality of life adjustments
  • Unique District Icons - Gives civilization unique districts their own icons

Minor game changes:
  • Airpower AI fix - AI will actually build planes
  • Religion Notification with Vision - Shows when a city changes religion
  • Remove Everest - Because I hate the micromanaged natural wonders
  • Remove Giant's Causeway
  • Remove Lysefjorden
  • Remove Matterhorn
  • Stop Steamrolling City States - City States start with extra units so they aren't taken over 100% of each game

Top Bottom