Mods you whant to see in AND

Some of us are already old Afforess, and may die very soon, even if we will not make it to play the new AND, Please let us now what we will be missing from our grave . . . .

Hilarious. It would be sad to see a Civ Player die before I included the Mercenaries Modcomp.

I didn't want to tell people, cause at first, I wasn't even sure I could get it to work. This is my 3rd merge attempt...

Anyway, I turned it into a game option, fixed a bunch of it's issues, because it had bugs from the original, and improved upon it...

I'm not done though, the AI code for it is really weak, and there are still some kinks in the Mercenary Manager screen that need working out...

Here are some modcomps that I would love to see incorporated into A New Dawn:

First up is Capture Slaves, from our very own strategyonly. Right now, the Slavery civic is one to avoid. It carries nasty stability penalties and there's also the 'icky' factor I feel when I adopt it. But being able to capture enemy units as slaves? That would really set this civic apart and make it worthwhile.

Second is a feature I'm surprised isn't already in Civ4, since it was a standard setting in Civ3 - Culturally Linked Starts. Bsically, this redistributes the starting positions so that (for example) all of the Asian civs start close to each other and far away from (for example) the European civs. I think that it would add a historical dimension to AND - I often despair when I see the Celts start next to Korea!

Those first 2 modcomps change game play, but I also think that the next 2 modcomps would be useful because they change the underlying modding structure. Here I'm only asking for these to be enabled behind the scenes - other modders (such as myself) can flesh them out into gameplay.

Civilization Specific Tech Trees - for a long time now (ever since Civ3, in fact), I have disliked Civ's 'one size fits all' approach to the tech tree. I would love for, say, Japan's tech tree to illustrate their divergence from European technologies. Whilst this can be partially done through unit choice, I think that civ-specific tech trees would take it to a whole new level.

Individual Era Unit Art Styles - currently, unit era art is limited to 3 divisions (Early, Middle and Late). This modcomp has SEVEN such era-specific unit art tags: Early, Classical, Middle, Renaissance, Industrial, Late and Future. This would really help to distinguish unit era art. Again, I'm not asking for gameplay implementation, just the functionality.

Hilarious. It would be sad to see a Civ Player die before I included the Mercenaries Modcomp.

I didn't want to tell people, cause at first, I wasn't even sure I could get it to work. This is my 3rd merge attempt...

Anyway, I turned it into a game option, fixed a bunch of it's issues, because it had bugs from the original, and improved upon it...

I'm not done though, the AI code for it is really weak, and there are still some kinks in the Mercenary Manager screen that need working out...
Did you do it with Python or the SDK? Third time is the charm right?;)

Did you do it with Python or the SDK? Third time is the charm right?;)

It's still mostly the original code, but I've rewritten the UI aspects of it to make it much better. I still need to add some more AI code, right now, the AI can't sell their units as mercenaries yet. I moved some of the code into the SDK too...

But is there any chance of incorporating strategyonly's Capture Slaves python mod?

Not likely. I really dislike those slave modcomps, because they never work quite right. If you switch out of slavery, you will still keep the slaves, and it ruins the value of regular workers.

Not likely. I really dislike those slave modcomps, because they never work quite right. If you switch out of slavery, you will still keep the slaves, and it ruins the value of regular workers.

Keeping the slaves isn't such a bad thing: think of it as the cultural legacy left by slavery, i.e. they aren't still slaves, but workers, but still suffer the stigma of being foreign and downtrodden (much like black people in the USA in the twentieth century).

I remember there being a mod out there that rearranges the starting locations of civs so that close civs start closer together. Can't remember what it was called but I thought it was really cool that if you played as France you'd have other Europeans as neighbors.

I remember there being a mod out there that rearranges the starting locations of civs so that close civs start closer together. Can't remember what it was called but I thought it was really cool that if you played as France you'd have other Europeans as neighbors.

It's called Culturally Linked Starts and it's in AND 1.70 beta

I agree with zulu9812 about Civilization Specific Tech Trees; it could be a way to illustrate divergence from European technologies,
I wish you find some time for Election, because I think could open a new approach to the overpower of human player.

First up is Capture Slaves, from our very own strategyonly. Right now, the Slavery civic is one to avoid. It carries nasty stability penalties and there's also the 'icky' factor I feel when I adopt it. But being able to capture enemy units as slaves? That would really set this civic apart and make it worthwhile.

This looks great! Please add it!

But its in AND not RoM. We should have the ability to pick which ones we want to pick or not to pick. So people like me and Zulu would pick it upon install while those like you and Afforess could choose not pick it upon install (or maybe even as a custom game check box). Its not like we are asking Afforess to make the mod from scratch, only add an existing mod to AND.

Here are some modcomps that I would love to see incorporated into A New Dawn:

Civilization Specific Tech Trees - for a long time now (ever since Civ3, in fact), I have disliked Civ's 'one size fits all' approach to the tech tree. I would love for, say, Japan's tech tree to illustrate their divergence from European technologies. Whilst this can be partially done through unit choice, I think that civ-specific tech trees would take it to a whole new level.

Great idea.
Galciv 2 tech trees are like this, and it makes the games more diverse, fun and strategically challenging.

Here's what i'd like to see in AND (posted previously in ROM forum) :

- An option that let you choose the Color of your civ.
Sounds simple but i bet its not, cause afaik nobody ever done it with Civ IV

- Landmarks : Particular spots are created randomly when generating a custom map.
Ex : Niagara Falls, Mount everest, Lake Victoria, Great barrier reef, Stone Forest, Grand Canyon, etc..
This idea worked great with Firaxis' Alpha Centauri, and has been successfuly implemented in "Fall from heaven".

-An option that "remembers" all your custom settings after each game you play
( I edited manually both BTS and Aforess files so i'm already done with it )

- An option that keeps a slight probability for goodie huts to deliver a worker or a settler even at high difficulty settings.
( Also already managed to do this manually )

- More quests

ROM + AND = :goodjob:

- An option that let you choose the Color of your civ.
Sounds simple but i bet its not, cause afaik nobody ever done it with Civ IV
That is quite easy, I made a modmod that changes England's color to red.

1000th post!:woohoo:

I have an idea. No idea if it is feasible. If not, then forget it.

What about using the disband code for slaves when you move out of Slavery civic (and/or any other civic) and receive either 1 or 2 :commerce:(s)? That may simulate slaves' descendants being assimilated into civ's free workforce.

How is that?

Top Bottom