[Module] Claimable Tower of Eyes

Derf

Modular Mushroom
Already so soon after my first module, I give you another module!
Unlike the previous one (Hell Stables) this one is not inspired by any other modmod. Only a sudden inspirational idea of 'Hey, what if the Tower of Eyes was a fort?'

And thus, this module was created.

The Tower itself, has no changes at all, save only the ability for passing units to create a Fort Commander (or relevent replacement UU) just as if it was any other fort.

I had planned to borrow the Culture Control and range from the Citadel of Light, but oddly, it didn't seem to make any difference. So you won't be getting any cultural influence except on the tile the Tower is on.

An interesting side note is that this does not appear to break savegames. You can (in theory) safely load any pre-existing save made without this module, and be suddenly able to claim the Tower of Eyes when it's loaded with it.

Finally, this module has been tested (sort of) with GIR's Elohim Unique events module, and is compatible. (As far as I can see.)

Entries for the Official List of Modules page and RifE forums have been added.

Edit: Yes, I know the launcher reports there being a new version. I made a mistake, and I'm too lazy to fix it right now.

Update: 0.11
XML files cleaned up a bit, made a little rename change to one file.
Tags have been added to provide a BFC (Equivalent of second cultural level for cities) in Culture and Culture control, but as these tags aren't modular (yet) you won't get or see this behaviour.

Update: 0.12
Workaround for the non-working tags found. Wait 30 turns after claiming the Tower of Eyes, and it will become the Tower of Eyes, with the additional culture and culture control radious.
Added known-issues.txt to the module's contents - while the issue(s) in there have not yet been confirmed, they outline potential pitfalls one may encounter.
NOT tested savegame compatibile. Due to XML changes, it's highly possible that it is incompatibile. Keep the 0.10/11 version around just in case it breaks your savegame.

Attachments

• ToE_Fort-0.10.zip
    5.7 KB · Views: 126
  • ToE_Fort-0,11.zip
    5.6 KB · Views: 129
  • ToE_Fort-0.12.zip
    6.7 KB · Views: 259
I added compatibility tags for your mod in my info file.

btw with the modular xml you only need to add this lines in your improvements.xml if you just want to add the fort ability to that feature and don't want to change anything else:

Spoiler :
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- Improvement Infos -->
<Civ4ImprovementInfos xmlns="x-schema:CIV4TerrainSchema.xml">
	<ImprovementInfos>
		<ImprovementInfo>		<!-- Tower of Eyes -->
			<Type>IMPROVEMENT_TOWER_OF_EYES</Type>
			<bOutsideBorders>1</bOutsideBorders>
			<bFort>1</bFort>
		</ImprovementInfo>
	</ImprovementInfos>
</Civ4ImprovementInfos>

The way you do it now (with copying the whole entry) works perfectly fine but it could cause some unintentional conflicts with other mods.
If some other mod changes something e.g. the the mana type you will get from that improvement (like "FallUnder" does with some unique improvements, or was it the "Guns, Wyrms and Steel" module - I can't remember) and your module is loaded after that module you will override that changes.

It may just have been a mistake on my part, but I did try that. It refused to load properly.
I'll twiddle about a bit though and see if I can't remedy that and clean up sightly. If nothing else, so I can tell the launcher to stop saying there's a new version available.

I wonder if the Balseraph should be able to do something special with the tower.

I don't have anything civ-specific planned for it actually. Unless you want to use the claimability in your 'something special' it might be better off separate for those players who don't want to use this.
(That, and I haven't got a clue when it comes to python, so I'm putting it off until something interesting comes along.)

Right now, while I'm cleaning up the code a little, I'm focusing mainly on making it project a culture control area around it, the same way Castles and such do. If I can figure it out.

I figured out where I was going wrong. I didn't have all the lines it needed to. My local copy works now, with just the added lines.
Would upload, but it's not really all that much of a different. For now. One more change I want to make, then it'll be up.

Nope, just me as usual. Anywho, new problem.
I give in.
Just what exactly needs to be added if I want to get this to project an area like that of say the Citadel of Light or the Dwarven Fortress? I thought I had it just defining the lines:

Code:
                <iCultureRange>2</iCultureRange>
                <iCultureControlStrength>3</iCultureControlStrength>
                <iCultureCenterBonus>2</iCultureCenterBonus>

Except it doesn't seem to make the slightest difference. A Fort Commander will still only claim the Tower's tile on the turn after it gets appointed, and that influence never seems to expand.

Well that explains it. Guess that'll have to wait until a later version then.
Oh well. I'll upload a new version with them in anyway. Theoretically, it'll work when the tags become modular, and I won't have to worry about it.

Update to 0.12. Changelog in the first post.
Anyone who happens to have a module that depends on the Tower of Eyes may need to check compatibility. Once the Tower upgrades and gains it's culture range, events may not trigger on it any longer.
(Compatibility tags for GIR's Elohim Unique Events module have been removed because of this, and will be re-added if/when compatibility is restored.)

Download will be in the first post when CFC's upload feature is available again.

0.12 is now available in the first post.
Stay tuned for the new thread collecting all my modules in one place, including some new ones not uploaded before.

Top Bottom