[MODULE] Starting Worker

lemonjelly

Modding For Ethne
A small, simple module that gives each player a Worker when they settle their first city.

In my test game, I removed this worker from half of the civs.
Each civ that managed to keep their worker (pesky barbs) was out to two or more cities when the civs that didn't have a worker, were stuck at one.

Oh, and if a civ has an Unique Worker, it'll give them that as well :)

Forward compatible with all new civs, without any editing! :D

Attachments

• StartingWorker.7z
    642 bytes · Views: 391
Yo, good idea. Although the method (python) is messy; but I guess you did so it doesn't need to be edited for any new civs.

Anyway with 1.31 barbs being less killing machines, I guess that would make the AI pretty capable.

nice ring to that module...
may ease a bit the start with the :health: low food, longer improvement...etc

Yo, good idea. Although the method (python) is messy; but I guess you did so it doesn't need to be edited for any new civs.

Anyway with 1.31 barbs being less killing machines, I guess that would make the AI pretty capable.
Yeah, it is messy, but it doesn't really matter, its 3 lines of actual code, and its only called once :)
And, yeah, that and so I don't need to list every civ with a unique worker and stuff like that :)
Well, they performed a lot better with it than without, Sidar had three cities and a religion by turn 152, but if the AI knew to build workers, this wouldn't be needed :p

nice ring to that module...
may ease a bit the start with the :health: low food, longer improvement...etc
And, its good for the AI! :D

They know how, I think they're just wanting too much protection.
And now you wouldn't have, starting units are listed by unitclasses, not unittypes.

Opera :
I only started 2 games with RifE 1.3, so take my words with a grain of salt:

IMO, the issue is not knowing to build workers or protecting them.
The issue is building them early enough.

Originally I built one after my capital was size 3-4. I had some extra food to use.
second worker came easier as the first farmed the :food: ressources => many extra :food: for producing worker.

But now : at size 3, one become unhealthy (even near river).
Thus the city has few :food: to convert to worker. The worker is built more slowly.
furthermore, attaining size 4 is very long.

With a worker on turn 1, you save 20-30 turns or more in worker work.
The AI can build improvement around your capital from the start instead of waiting 20-40 turns.

it helps to start a game

Yeah yeah, already heard all of that.
Health balancing is on its way.

that was not a critiscism.

I read most of the thread on those subject so I know you are aware of it.
I like the health system.

But I was trying to explain how the worker "at start" affects the strength of the AI civs, and how it helps to start the game. that's all

Yeah sorry I was moody! :D

That may be right, I didn't check the AI code... But that's actually a pretty viable explanation IMHO. Though at some point the AI should realized that it'd be better off creating a 20 turns worker than 7 3 turns warriors...

But, this way, one module adds a worker to every single civ, whether I know about them or not :p

Anyway, can somebody tell me whether the AI do perform a lot better with this or not?
I may remove it from the players at one point, it's only here because the AI are still a little sucky.

Though at some point the AI should realized that it'd be better off creating a 20 turns worker than 7 3 turns warriors...

At some point it does, usually 20-50 turns late to the party. :lol:

Anyway, can somebody tell me whether the AI do perform a lot better with this or not?

The AI is pretty bad at keeping the Worker, but it definitely helps.

Whether the code is messy or not, this is an elegant solution to one of the key problems at the moment, and will really help keep things interesting until 1.31.

Bravo.

Should this be for the AI only? Maybe I'll give them hardy or something :)

We also need to teach the AI to stack the workers, that will do wonders I think.

I've found using this mod causes CTD's every few turns starting at 60. Removing it fixes the issue.

I have no idea why it would cause that, try running from your last autosave, go into worldbuilder and start deleting settlers.
The code runs every time a city is built, I can't see how it'll start later on in the game...

I too am receiving crashes around turn 60 (Normal). And I'm also using almost a few other modules. Could it be a conflict with another module? I think I'll do some tests.

It shouldn't conflict with anything, and I don't know what's causing these errors, all I can say is, after torn 5 or so, when all the AI have founded their cities, removing this module shouldn't break anything.

So, after turn 5, save, close, disable this module and try again, and see whether you get the errors then. I would try this, but for some reason, I don't get this error.

Maybe I'll include a check for gameturn, and see whether that does anything.

Top Bottom