[MODULE] Unexplore (Concealing terrain which is no longer visible)

Lplate

Esus (Allegedly)
Hi,

This is a small python mod that I've put together following some discussion on the Éa thread.

. . .my interest in the game always fades as the map becomes fully known.

This module tries to delay the revealing of the full map.
Firstly, without Cartography, civilizations have no means of recording information about the land they have discovered. Any revealed terrain, which is no longer visible to a civilization is concealed once more until they have Cartography.

Secondly, without mastering longitude, a civilization can not accurately map the oceans nor determine the distance to far off continents. Learning Engineering, Divination or Necromancy technologies provide means to master longitude. Until a civilization can determine longitude then areas (oceans/continents) in which they do not have a city, which have been revealed but are no longer visible, will be concealed once more.

The Elohim always remember the location of unique improvements. Other civilizations remember these longer than any other terrain but still will forget their location over time if they do not master the required technologies.

This is really a bit of an experiment so all feedback is appreciated:
Would you never consider using the module?
Does hiding the terrain again add any value to the game?
Is the concealing of the terrain just frustrating?
Do you make notes for yourself about the important information that has been revealed but will be concealed?
Do you adapt your research to prioritise the technologies to allow the map to remain revealed?

Credits
Spoiler :

Pazyryk for promptying the idea.
Thanks to The_J, platyping & God-Emperor for responding to my questions on python
Thanks to Gingerbreadman and Baldyr for answering questions in their threads before I even think of them.

Updated to version 1.1, Changelog
Spoiler :

Only the first player or a human player will now experience the concealment of previously revealed terrain (AI could not cope with the reconcealment of the terrain).
Cartography no longer allows map trading (human player would gain too much from the AI players otherwise).

Attachments

• Unexplore 1 1.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 231
you wonderful guy ! :D
I'll have to try it.. but I don't know when I'll have time

(and I think that some terrain, close to your civ should stay explored in some manner. otherwise creating more cities before cartographie woud be not fun (cumbersome?)

The module unfortunately seems to cripple the AI. In autoplay, exploring units can be seen wandering back and forth over the same ground.

The screenshots show the state of play on turn 601 of Autoplay from the same start. The map and the scores illustrate how handicapped the AI has been.

Simplest thing to do is to limit the hiding of terrain to just teams with human players and prevent map trading (or make it very expensive). If I do this, I won't be able to use Autoplay to check how the module performs.

Edit: Uploaded version 1.1. First player or human player now are only ones who get terrain concealed so Autoplay still works.

Attachments

• With Unexplore.jpg
    With Unexplore.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 324
  • Without Unexplore.jpg
    Without Unexplore.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 289
  • With Unexplore 1 1.JPG
    With Unexplore 1 1.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 331
Seems like an interesting idea, for sure. I can totally sympathise with people losing interest once all the map is uncovered, since the exploration and discovery aspects are part of what makes the game fun, to some extent at least.

On the subject of map trading, I would probably eliminate it altogether (or at least push both it and cartography to higher techs), but have stuff like foreign trade routes and diplomatic deals maintain visibility, if possible. Also, I could totally see this kind of thing working out well if there's a system of espionage in place, like in civ5 - placed spies would be another good way to maintain visibility.

As to whether I'd use it or not... It seems like it would be an interesting idea, even though the actual gameplay effects of it would be relatively minor. It is just a more significant form of Fog of War, after all. That said, presentation is very important, and this might improve that. So yes, I would consider using it, depending on how it works out with AI and how much it affects performance.

Top Bottom