1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Moff Jerjerrod's WW2 Global - Reloaded

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Moff Jerjerrod, May 19, 2010.

1. RKP

RKP Regent

Moff:

Okay the corrected ini that I used has worked. Both Attack1 and Attack3 had to be corrected for the game not to crash. Here is the ini for anyone who needs it.

View attachment 279193

2. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Deity

Nice work RKP and thanks for sharing the ini with everyone.

Btw I also thought of introducing a minelayer/remover ship into the game but haven't figured out how to make it so it won't be superpowerful against all ships. Only mines.

3. jlvfr

jlvfr King

The sneaky japanese destroyed Port Moresby and a tiny town in north Australia, but I sank the invasion fleet, including a still-full transport!

The Hitler AI is smarter than the real AI. It's senting a load of units to attack Gibraltar by land... and Gibraltar is beating the crud out of them! By my count, it resisted the assault of at least 7 units so far. :goodjob:

4. jlvfr

jlvfr King

War is getting madder by the mn. Let's see:
    -Spain declared war on USSR
    -the US invaded former France, 3 times... and got booted out 3 times...
    -there's a Soviet battle group smack in the middle of France!

Meanwhile, in an odd parallel of history, I'm (UK) stuck with building fighters, bombers and artillery, while crushing the Italians in North Africa. And am building up Canada and India, so that THEY can produce the stuff I need to invade France. Or I might invade weaker Italy 1st...

5. jlvfr

jlvfr King

Found an error:
    The folder with the data on the 6pounder gun is called
    art\units\6pounderAT
    but this crashed the game. I change to
    art\units\6pounder
    and now is ok.

6. RKP

RKP Regent

Guys:

To show you how detailed I am working on getting the Navies set up right and to add more pleasure to the game. I thought I would share the information about WW2 Russian Carriers with you. This it the kind of information that Moff is getting from me. And I am sure Anthony would like to hear about how his Russian Navy will be later on.

The 3rd. Five-year plan for 1938-42, had plans for 2 Carriers to be built. One for the Pacific Fleet and one in the Arctic Fleet. They would have been about 13,000 tons. So about the size of the Ranger or Wasp. Would have carried 30 Torpedo-Bombers and 15 fighters. Anybody's guess as to the type of Aircraft. Stalin ordered Project 71 canceled in the 1939-40 period. Which is the time frame that most of the Naval construction was stopped. Project 71 would have used the same hull as the Chapaev Class CL's.

I have two names listed for Carrier projects. But can not tell you if they were going to be the names for these ships or for other projects. The ones I know are: Voroshilov and Lyetl. I have also seen Kresnaya Ploshchad as a possible name. It means Red Square - Feminine. The Russian's kept designing Carriers through out the war. There were 24 CVE, 3 CVL, 4 CV, and 2 CVB types. And at the warmest point in East-West Diplomacy. There was an idea of Lend-Leasing or selling a Essex Class Carrier to the Russian's.

Project 72 would have looked much like the British Illustrious Class and carried 60 Aircraft. It is believed that the Project 716, would have been based off of the Kronstad BC hulls. I found here on Civ Fanatic's, a person by the name of The Coyote. Who did make a unit of Project 71. Thus his and Wyrmshadow's Carriers, would give us 2 units for the game. Wyrm's is the conversion plan for a old Light Cruiser called Kosmolets.

The Drawings are of the Project 71 Class, the Kosmolets Class, Project 72 (Illustious) Class, and the Project 716 (Kronstad) Class.

7. RKP

RKP Regent

Here is Wyrmshadow's unit. My thoughts are that either the Carriers be there at the start to build, or have a early tech to build them at the begining.

8. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Deity

Thanks for finding an error jlvfr. I've made a note to correct the issue and include it with the next revision of this scenario.

RKP I never knew the Russians had plans for a carrier in the 40's. I think it would be fun to add this to the Russian tech tree somewhere.

9. RKP

RKP Regent

Yes, most people do not think that the Russians had any interest in building Carriers. They had two problems with it. 1. Was having no experience in building one or training Air Crews. 2. The Naval Infrastructure was still recovering from the Civil War and Stalin's purges. Thus it just took time. Not until after the war, did things get going. Well I guess you know what you can be looking for in a few days. Navy wise. :)

10. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Great work, RKP (I keep wanting to call you RPK :)). I'm using Wyrm's Komsomolets as Russia's ww-2 era carrier in Worldwide. It's interesting that you bring all this up. I've been reading about the Soviet Union of the 70's and 80's lately, and one Russian author basically stipulated that the expansion of Soviet blue water capability during that time (project OREL, Kiev, Kirov, etc) was really just a resumption of the 1930's plan to make a true ocean-going navy. They were just interrupted by 40 years of dealing with primarily land- and air-based threats.

Russia has the ability to make basic carriers in early WW2-Reloaded already, it would just be a matter of substituting Wyrm's unit for the generic Firaxis one in place. Keep up the great work, RKP!

Moff, I never played Rocotech's original game, but you have both done a real nice job here. I've been playing this lately to the exclusion of all other civ3 types (including my own). If you have the time, my number one recommendation would be to update the civpedia as you are tweaking the scenario. So far it's been the main speed bump since it makes it harder to plan.

11. RKP

RKP Regent

Anthony:

Well my thought is to try and keep the game a bit historical in terms of how the game starts. But allow you the possibilities of building or doing things that didn't happen in the war. So I see the Russians not having a carrier at the start. But a Arctic and Pacific port city has one of the CV's under construction. And the CVL building in a Black Sea port. So you would get them The Project 72 Carrier could also be researched in the game. And we could use the Illustrious that I gave Moff for Project 72 when its built. The Russians had 4 fleets in WW2 Arctic, Baltic, Black Sea, and Pacific.

12. RKP

RKP Regent

Another fun ship for the Russians would be the 4 ship class of the Sovietsky Soyuz Battleship. It would have weighed in at about 60,000 tons. Only the Yamato's would be bigger. The official guns would have been 9-16". But there were reports of 17 and 18 inch as well.

13. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

14. RKP

RKP Regent

Anthony:

How did you manage to get snapshots of your game. Having a hard time trying to get mine. So as to show some photos of my game.

Russ

15. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Deity

Thanks for the kind words Anthony! Yes the civilopedia needs major work. I will definitely be putting some effort into it as I continue to upgrade the worlds navies thanks to RKP's help.

Can't wait to see what you send me RKP! The weekend is upon us and therefore some more free time to spend on the scenario work. ;)

16. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Deity

RKP,

Try hitting the 'Print Screen' button on your keyboard. Then Alt-tab out to Window's Paint program or other graphic program like Paintshop and paste the screen shot into it. Then save as .jpg and you're all set.

17. jlvfr

jlvfr King

So...
    The germans have sneaked up behind me (me being UL possessions in the Middle East) and are launching an assault, using Iran/Persia as a springboard. Luckily I had been stockpilling a lot of hardware in Tobruk, in preparation for an assault on Italy, so I'm not too worried... right?
    Wrong.

The problem, again, is the bear-invincibility of german bombers. I had 7 Spifire V and 5 Bofors 40mm in a city in Nrothern Iraq the germans bombed. In 3 turns of bombing, by 10 bombers per turn, not only abut 80% of the bombers hit targets, but I also hit exactly ZERO bombers. Not one. I'm trying to rusg workers there to build radars...

If, indeed, this is caused by the night fighting rule, then I suggest that this has to be altered. The rule is turning them into "stealth bombers", making them far more powerfull than they ever were.

18. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Deity

I'll take another look today at the German bombers. You should be experiencing a higher success rate than that. In my game I'm playing currently as the Germans. The French Dewotoine fighters are doing a great job intercepting my bombers but when I send my Heinkels to England I noticed that the UK is not shooting me down at all. So basically this is the same thing you're seeing only from the German point of view.

19. RKP

RKP Regent

Moff:

The Russians are coming! The Russians are coming! (hehehehhe) Got the OOD done for you.

20. RKP

RKP Regent

Guys:

While working on the Russian Fleet. I got some gaming time in. Can handle Russian reading for only so long. :) Managed to get up to turn 28, 1941. Last time I reported that I had a Japanese Invasion force being capped off. The two Japanese Battleships were the Hiei and Hyuga. It was a vicious fight with them losing and I almost lost the Repulse. While that happened, I failed to notice some Japanese troops that had come down from Japanese held Padang, Sumatra. They attacked and took Palembang from me. I also had my first train built. That unit is a head trip!. I know it was made for the Warhammer 40k mod. Wonder if Wyrmshadow could use it as a base to make an Armored Train for us? On turn 3, I completed the road to Whitehorse Canada. There is a oil resource up there and when I connected it. I had several more units I could build in Canada. Can't believe I forgot about the oil and its affects.

Week 6 had me invading and taking Padang from the Japanese. The US invaded Antwerp again and of course Germany pushed them right out at the end of the turn. The US took Antwerp on turn 10. While I invaded and took Bologna Italy and Palembang Sumatra. The US got kicked out again. On turn 11 I invaded and took Banjarmasin Borneo. Turn 12 was Makassar Celebes and turn 13 was Balikpapan Borneo. While this was happening, my 2nd Battle Group made it into the area. It headed up towards Hong Kong. The area around Indochina was getting rather warm. With Japanese Destroyers and Subs trying to bombard Saigon and Hong Kong.

On week 14, I caught a large group of Japanese DD's and Subs in Hainan and destroyed them. The Japanese responded with an Air attack on my fleet. They are just as good as the Germans. Getting about a 80 to 90% hit rate with their aircraft. While I am lucky to get about a 10 to 20% hit rate with my aircraft when they bomb. Though my little Gladiators that serve as my CAP have done some every impressive work, defending the fleet. In Italy, I took Milan and gave it, with Bologna to the Swiss. As long as I don't hold any of the cities in Italy. The German AI will leave my troops alone.

On week 15, I invaded and took Davao, Philippines. While the 2nd Fleet fought a vicious fight with Japanese Subs and aircraft. With the subs losing the fight. On week 16, the 2nd Fleet caught a Japanese Invasion force and destroyed it. On week 17, I took Manila. I can only guess that at this time. The American AI is invading the Japanese Homeland and not doing so well. I see troop transports coming and going through Seattle. But can not see any territory taken by them of late. I thought I would try the same tactic that I was using in Italy on Sofia Bulgaria. To take it and then give it to Greece or Russia. Big mistake! Got my butt handed to me by the Germans. Looks like they made Sofia a bastion against the potential Russian attack. Wiped out the troops and just every ship of that fleet was in the red. Now I know were the Bombers are! Again, they have a fantastic hit rate of about 80 to 90% on my ships. And I consider myself lucky if I can get about a 10 to 20% hit rate with my bombers.

Though out this time on the European front. It as been a wrestling match with the French and Germans. Germany just can not take the other French cities. And the French just can not seem to either take or hold the cities they lost. Bomber command in Europe does its best to support the French when and were they can. The German AI is putting in more fighters now. So I am slowly loosing the fight. Looks like I had better switch over to Night Bombing. The German AI sends a lot of AT guns against the Strasbourg forts. And I have noticed that it sends a lot of AT guns after me when I take an Italian city. So I still wonder if that is why Germany has not defeated France at this time. Like it does so many times in Roco's mod.

Week 19 had me taking the island of Hainan away from the Japanese. This stopped the constant bombarding of Hong Kong. Week 20 gave me a OH S*** surprise from the Japanese. It seems that Japan was doing a end run through Red China to come through the Himalayas and attack India. It seems that Chairman Mao was not doing so well. Just had one city left and it was surrounded. Now the odd behavior of the Persian, Belgian, and French troops made sense. Stopped the invasion cold and even got some help from the Nationalist Chinese. I invaded and tool Canton and Amoi China. This may have also caused the Japanese AI to stop attacking India. On week 24, Ningpo China fell to me. Must say that the Japanese troops are nasty. I just about have to revert to Russian tactics to fight them. That would be 10 of my units to 1 of theirs. Makes me wonder how its going to be with the Germans when I finally engage them straight up.

From week 14, when Milan fell to week 25. Have been working hard to try and take Torino. That freaking fort that is there is just dang near impossible to take. Can't reach it by shore bombardment. My bombers just plain suck at hitting targets. And I didn't have Artillery with my invasion force at the start. Got some Artillery there and even after I got the fort down to just one red bar. It still took 5 tanks and 3 troops to finally kill it. Then I had to take a couple of turns to kill off all the troops that were in the city. But on turn 25, Italy was out of the war and the game. Gave Torino to the Swiss when later on that turn. The German AI came in with 18 units of AT guns. Silly Nazis. On week 26, took Taipe, Taiwan away from Japan.

So there is were my game stands. I think I may wait to do something in Europe. See how soon the Russian Bear turns on the German Wolf. Just might work on Japan for a bit. Either invade the Homeland and get the AI angry or try and weaken it by cutting China off.