1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Moff Jerjerrod's WW2 Global - Reloaded

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Moff Jerjerrod, May 19, 2010.

1. King Coltrane

King Coltrane Chieftain

Hey Moff I've been meaning to post a report here for a few days, but for real life reasons I haven't yet gotten around to it.

Anyway, I'm playing as Germany. I started off taking poland then turned east and slowly worked my way through the netherlands and belgium. At this point I was still pretty weak and had to proceed slowly. At the same time I found the combined English and French fleets hindering my land invasion. I knew I couldnt take on these fleets as I was, so I hid behind my Naval Mines and sallied forth with my U-Boats and then surface ships to whittle away the enemy navies.

After taking the Low Countries I started my invasion of France. I was able to get to Paris pretty quickly. I found my Ju-87B's invaluable as they were able to destroy the fortress units and speed up the assault significantly. I then was VERY lucky and caught the ENTIRE French fleet in port at Brest. With that I had relative local parity with the British Navy. I also was able to smash through a single Coastal Defense unit and open up London to coastal bombardment. I destroyed several fighters and a whole bunch of cruisers and destroyers in London. At that point my fleet was superior.

I finished up with mainland France and took Switzerland out for fun. Next I started building up forces for the inevitable showdown with Russia. I was able to pump out 19 railroad workers during this time and I currently (Week 24 1941) have a railroad from Paris all the way to Stalingrad. Anyway, when the USSR invaded me at the end of 1939 I was only too happy to respond. My tanks rolled through Russia until I found myself at the gates of Moscow, and stuck at Leningrad and Stevastopol/Stalingrad. It was at this point that I made a game changing decision: build up a bunch of IeFH18's. It took me a while to get them to the front, but when I had about 10 at each city I was able to annihilate any resistance. I then had an equally game changing revelation: load my artillery in Locomotive's. With this I was able to advance at a tremendous pace, basically taking out all defense a city had before the tanks even arrived! Anyway, I got to Aralsk in the south and the Urals in the east before I decided to get a peace treaty before my allies did.

With peace in the east I decided to attempt Operation Sea Lion. My (at this point) overwhelming naval superiority, combined with around 60 Ju-88's and 20 Ju-87B's allowed me to successfully take Plymouth. From there it was easy: ship over Panzer III's, divide my navy in two, and work my way up the isles. By this point I also had built around 7 Bismarck class battleships and let me tell you they are AMAZING. They take out coastal defenses with ease. Similarly, allied battleships are little better than destroyers against Bismarcks.

So with absolute naval domination in the north and the British Isles under my control (their capital went to Malta! sucks to be them!) I decided to take Turkey, the middle east, egypt, and north africa. IeFH18's in Locomotive's are amazing, as I was able to take Turkey in 2 turns and the entire middle east in another 2. Tanks are for clean up, while bombers + IeFH18's + locomotives + SS infantry are able to reach new cities VERY quickly. So at this point I just took Egypt and am at Benghazi.

Simultaneously I built a small navy at Marseilles, including a Bismarck, a Heavy CruiserC2, a Convoy, several destroyers and Type IX subs. Using my bombers to great effect, I was able to take Corsica, Sardinia, and Tunis.

So thats where I am now. Russia seems to be looking for war again and soon enough I'll give it to them. periodically appearing Allied battleships, carriers, and destroyers are easily taken out by bombers and Bismarcks. I intend to Locomotive my way across Africa and India and allocate the heavy stuff for Russia. I guess I'm going for a Domination victory, but I'm really not sure.

Globally nothing much has happened. The Japanese have almost taken out the Chi-coms and trade cities with the British from time to time. I think they are on a winning streak at the moment though. Otherwise, nothing really notable has happened (except for the brief Japanese occupation of Alaska).

Some comments:

First of all, GREAT job! this is a lot of fun!

I know you know about the pedia entries, so no worries there (i usually just check the editor anyway). However I'm still unsure what is so special or different about Mountain Infantry and DAK units. They seem pretty standard to me. Also, make sure to identify which units are Amphibious: I was SO pleased to find out standard infantry were, but sad to find that MP40 units werent.

I referenced this earlier, but what exactly am I trying to do? If world domination is the goal, gotcha. I'm on my way. But as the Axis is there any other way of winning?

Another thing: there are a lot of useless (as in for everyone) techs. Maybe remove some of them or add things in to justify them being there.

Again, I'm really enjoying this. Great job so far!

Attached Files:

2. superbounce7

superbounce7 Augustus

If you go to the original WW2 Global by Rocoteh he had a list of house rules for Germany. I think it included occupying London, Paris, Moscow, Stalingrad, and a few other Russian cities so by the looks of it you already achieved that. :lol:

3. King Coltrane

King Coltrane Chieftain

haha ok. thanks superbounce7! conquest is fun in its own right, but knowing that I still have north america, south america, africa, australia, and asia to go was a little intimidating.

conversely, I have an AOI game going (also as Germany) where I actually do control Europe (other than England), South America (all of it), and about 3/4's of Africa, so I'm not above trying to take every city.

4. RKP

RKP Regent

The original house rule was for you, as the Axis player. To occupy all the Allied capitols by the end of 1945 or what ever time you did so.

5. superbounce7

superbounce7 Augustus

Heres the exact wording on the house rules for the Axis:

Germany and Italy: Occupy all cities continental France, United Kingdom
    (The Bristish Isles). Occupy Leningrad, Moscow,Stalingrad, Grozny
    Kazan and Sverdlovsk.

6. RKP

RKP Regent

There you go! Thanks Superbounce7

7. superbounce7

superbounce7 Augustus

Sure no problem. I cant wait for these new ships. It would be great to see a little more flavor floating on the waves.

8. RKP

RKP Regent

Guys:

Well it looks like I just may have to stop my game as the British. Starting from week 31, 1941. The Russian AI began declaring war on the Neutral Nations. Starting with Portugal and Sweden. By the time it got to week 39, 1941. Russia Declared war on all the Allied nations. Only Germany, Finland and Japan were still at peace with Russia. Germany let Russian tanks just run through and the "Russian Conga Line of Death" took about 5 to 10 minuets to run, each turn. That was how many combat units it has. It appeared that about half of them were T-34's France alone lost all but Strasbourg and Marseilles in one turn. Norway, Denmark, Sweden, and Switzerland were gone. There was a "Conga Line of Death" coming from Turkey into the Middle East. Russian units were passing through Japanese China to get to me. Spain was falling and Portugal was nothing more than the African colonies. Yugoslavia would not last the next turn. Russia had even turned on Old Chairman Mao. I figure by the massive losses i took in Europe, Middle East, and Far East. It will not be long before I lose Africa and India. And if I am lucky. I can hold on to England, Canada, and Australia. As long as the Axis nations or Russia do not decide to try and build a navy.

Now, in other games. I have seen Russia go and fight other nations starting from the 1st week of 1940 right up to the end of 1941. But by then, those wars are done. Since I have always seen Russia and Germany at each other, by the end of 1941. This is the first time I have ever seen Russia basically declare war on the whole world. So at this time I am wondering if the "trigger" that used to be in the game. That would have started the two fighting each other. If it is still there or has been removed? I know it had been set for the fight to start randomly, but it was almost a certainty by 1942.

9. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Chieftain

Hey guys,

Quick update. I'm almost done placing the Royal Navy. Next up is Russia. Thanks RKP for the latest. ;)

King Coltrane,

Thanks for the AAR. Very useful information in there and makes me want to revise the scenario a bit based on your story. I also agree maybe I either need to fill up those techs or else just lose them as they are indeed dead weight. The DAK units have reduced movement points needed to move through desert terrain while the same goes for the Mountain troops in mountain terrain. I decided not to give the MP40 units amphibious capabilities on purpose. I figure they can move into the beach head after the rifle troops capture it. Submachine gun range is too short to be firing from the landing barges at those defenses. :)

10. RKP

RKP Regent

Moff:

After a little more digging for information. I plan to send you the Polish Navy and the units I have from Wyrmshadow for them. Also should have the Romanian Navy as well

11. King Coltrane

King Coltrane Chieftain

No problem Moff! Thanks again for the scenario. And im glad my AAR (what does that stand for exactly?) could be of service.

See, I thought thats what the point of Mountain troops and DAK units was, except that the infantry units have 1 MP, effectively nullifying any advantage they would have. Now the DAK tanks/light mech are a different story, which I did notice while playing. however, i opted for locomotives over tanks as they move just as fast (maybe faster... i forget) and could bring up 3 artillery pieces as opposed to stopping just short and being unable to attack.

For the DAK and mountain infantry, they need a movement greater than 1 for any effect to be usable.

As for the MP40/SMG units, i totally agree with you and like your reasoning why SMG units shouldnt be able to do amphibious assaults. However just make sure to note that in the pedia eventually so no one else loads up a transport of MP40s for an assault only to find they cant attack.

BTW, for the Bismarcks I would make them autoproduced by a Small Wonder to ensure that a) Germany doesnt have 15 of them (like me) and b) Germany cant rush build one in any random city when it has enough cash (which occurs after a surprisingly short amount of time)

As for the techs: While I do agree that many can be taken out, I think you can leave many of them too. Just make sure to give them a purpose. Whether this means moving existing stuff around or creating new stuff just ensure that you get something for researching a tech. But im sure you know all this so I'll stop lecturing :)

Keep up the great work!

12. jlvfr

jlvfr Chieftain

I've stopped playing with the brits. The german bombers are tearing me apart.

Bagdad: had 3 Bofors 40mm, 1 Flak, 5 Spitifire V, and a radar in the hex next to the city. And yet, in a single round of bombing, I lost all the Spits, the city's barracks, the temple, the colosseum, and 7 of 8 inhabitants. I shot down 2 bombers... the germans are flying B-2 bombers :(

On a funny note: Finland destroyed comunist china!

13. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Chieftain

Hi King Coltrane,

Yeah I think you're right about the movement points for the mountain and DAK infantry units. I experimented last night in my Germany game and noticed that the mountain troops really weren't moving over mountains as fast as intended. Perhaps an extra movement point will do the trick.

I've also noted the SMG civilopedia entry need per your comments. :goodjob:

I have been thinking of adding a few more units, particularly some more ships, so a good tech tree scrubbing and revising is in order. I'll figure something out for those techs for sure.

AAR = After Action Report. ;)

Hi jlvfr,

I took a look at both the British fighters and the German bombers yesterday. Didn't find anything odd in the editor but then again I only quickly glanced at all the air units in question. I'll do some more investigation this evening. Maybe raising the chance to intercept a bit in the general settings will help.

That's pretty funny that Finland took out China. Why the AI insists on traveling great distances to attack an enemy when there are plenty of targets right next door is beyond me. It's one of those quirks with Civ3 I guess.

14. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Chieftain

Russia has always been a powerhouse in this scenario and it's original version by Rocoteh. Maybe some tweaking is in order here. I'm not sure what that 'trigger' is you're referring too although I do know of a few tricks to make triggers for wars work.

15. RKP

RKP Regent

Moff:

All I know of, is that a while back I was told that in Roco's original work. A trigger was set up to bring Russia and Germany to war in the game. There were conditions that had to build up and be met, before that happened. So that Russia would at some point become Historically involved in the war. Otherwise there was the potential for Russia to either sit out of the war for the entire game. Or that it could do just what it had done in my game. Rocotech and others were trying to work within the mechanics to make the game start and ran as historically as it could.

Case in point is that America is involved at the start. Instead of waiting till the end of 1941. The game engine would have England and France declare war on the US on turns 2 and 3 otherwise. And there was no way of getting around that part of the game coding. This trigger was meant to ensure that there was at least for a while, a 2-front war for Germany. And that Russia would not become the powerhouse like it did in my game. That many of its units would be bleed off with Germany. And the same for Germany, so it would not become unstoppable.

Since there have been different versions of Rocotech's mod over the years. It is possible that the trigger had been removed or turned off. Without anyone knowing.

16. RKP

RKP Regent

Guys:

Moff now has in his hands, the Navy lists for the Polish and Romanians. They may be small fleets. But have potential.

17. RKP

RKP Regent

Guys:

I have obtained some more music to go with the game. Such as the National Anthems of Japan, Poland, Fascist Italy, and the Nazi Germany. There were the formal National Anthems for those two, but the Leadership wanted change them. Found Vera Lynn, she is the voice to White Cliffs of Dover and I'll be seeing you. Got a Russian song who's title is Death to the Fuhrer. Also one dedicated to the Female Russian Pilots. Have the Waffen SS Anthem and the original Panzerlied. Now I need to learn how to convert some of them over to mp3 format so they can be put into the game. So if anyone can help me. My email and IM is atlas7d@yahoo.com

I am also going to see about getting a few recorded speeches. To go with Chamberlain and Hitler.

18. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Chieftain

Sounds really good, RKP. Glad you got Vera in there; I can't believe she's still going strong. It will be nice to have something to change things up so I won't have to hear Chamberlain ("You can imagine what a bitter blow it was to me") and Hitler ("All these areas have only Germany to thank for their cultural development!") as much! If I had to vote for one song to go, it would be Dixie. Sacrilege, I know, since I live in the South, but it seems more appropriate to a Civil War mod.

I'm looking forward to the updated Navies! Not only is it good to get more of Wyrm's units in there, but also it'll make it easier to identify fleets at a glance.

I finished off my Russian game...once Germany's back was broken and Japan was beaten in China, I kinda let it go since victory was only a matter of time. I started a Germany game but had a crash, so I took a break. For what it's worth, Moff, I like your first version where destroyers and subs do not have bombard. Much, much smoother, and probably more realistic.

19. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Chieftain

Hi guys,

Just a quick update. I've been real busy IRL so haven't been able to post much but I've got the revised British and Russian navies in place now. I've also cleaned up a few upgrade paths for some of the belligerents. I missed a few and thought I should put things right.

Looking forward to the music and more speeches! My favorite line is Hitler's 'From now on Germany will speak to Poland in the same manner in which they speak to us. Bomb will be answered by bomb!'

And for those of you who understand Russian, Stalin in the speech I've included in the scenario calls for to his people with 'Smert Nemetski okupanta' or Death to the German invanders!

But my favorite speech of all was the one from the movie 'Patton' with George C. Scott.

20. RKP

RKP Regent

Well I have managed to get some of Morrow's London Reports as the Blitz goes on. Mussolini's declaration of war, FDR's Speech to Congress on the Pearl Harbor attack, and a couple of Churchill's Speech's. Again, some of these came with videos, so I need to separate them and go to mp3 format.