Moff Jerjerrod's WW2 Global - Reloaded

Sorry for doubleposting, but... I just started a new game and as soon as I try to access my trade advisor the game crashes. Any idea on how to fix it?
Playing on v 1.22 with no raze / no cd patch. Tried with cd as well. No crash report, just a windows message that civ has stopped working.

Edit: and removing the sound files (moved their entire directories) didn't work, and moving the "soundtrackGGP needs fixing.txt." file didn't work either.

I noticed that you have included norwegian gladiators, and would just like to point out that Sweden also had gladiators during the time (of which almost half of them were shipped to Finland to aid in the Winter War, and GB also donated gladiators to Finland to aid against Soviet - so it's possible that all the Scandinavian countries should have access to them, or beetter yet, have them preplaced). Swedish airforce also consisted of Fiat CR.42's, so perhaps preplacing one or two of those in Göteborg and possibly Kiruna. Likewise, a unit of Re.2000 could be preplaced in Malmö if you strive to be historically correct, although at least the Re.2000's wasn't delivered until 1940.

And to continue with Sweden's defences, you might want to add a series of bunkers from Malmö and halfway up to Göteborg. This was the Skåne Line that was to deter German invasions. And slightly north of Luleå you should have a barricade (Boden fortress, built to defend against russian invasions) that probably should be inhabited by a special fortress unit at least.

I'm also curious to hear your motivation to why so few nations get certain special units such as railroad construction and locomotive?

(Don't take this as critisism, just pointing out where I think there could be a few minor improvements.)

Thanks for the feedback Freeborn! This is the kind of stuff I like to hear and is quite helpful. No criticism taken. ;)

I definitely am trying to be as historically accurate as possible when it comes to units. I'll make the gladiators and the Fiat's available to Scandinavia per your suggestions. Good tip!

Did not know about the Swedish fortresses either. I'll preplace some where you mentioned.

What nation were you playing when you accessed the trade screen and the game crashed? I have not seen this crash before and would like to try to recreate what you saw so that I can better understand how to fix the problem.

On another note: I'm considering reverting the naval system to the original form. One of the players suggested I use El Justo's naval system in Age of Imperialism but when I playtested the scenario I found the time between turns to be much much more than the original design. This is due to the huge number of ships in the game now that can bombard and that's all the Ai spends time doing. Really slows the pace of the scenario down and I'm not happy with that.

I was playing as Italy, and I have not tried with other nations yet (startup takes some time). All other advisors and victory screen and such works fine.

About the navy, if you turn off show enemy moves and animate battles turns won't take that long at all - but it might mean an increased survivability for the large fleets of WWI destroyers and so on that usually takes a lot of time for the AI to move. I like that subs get bombard actually, but shouldn't it be lethal sea bombardment? The problem for me so far is that mediterranean domination is a lot more important for Italy than before, and knowing how poor the italian AI used to do on earlier versions of the scenario it might gimp them too badly. When I played as GB, France and US had huge fleets that had reduced most of Italy into size 1 cities, but I haven't tested in this version yet.

Freeborn said:
...shouldn't it be lethal sea bombardment?

Yes indeed. I have fixed this and will include this feature in the next patch I plan on issuing soon. Good catch.

Freeborn said:
I was playing as Italy,...

Hmm....I've playtested as Italy before but I will fire up another game as Italy with the current biq. I'll also try turning off the show animations per your suggestion. I won't make changes just yet to the naval system as this is going to be one time consuming task and I'm working feverishly on my other upcoming scenario atm. However if everyone likes the AoI version of naval combat I'll keep it in.

You will notice in this scenario I've tried to give Italy resources galore so she'll be able to build her good units right from the start. In the original version of this scenario she was crippled for resources.

I think I may have found what was causing your crash playing as Italy. It seems that there is a corrupt resource icon that causes the game to crash when you try to open the trade screen. I believe this corrupt resource is what is also causing another player's game to crash when they recon Norwegian territory. I have placed a resource.pcx file in the art folder from another mod and this prevented the game from crashing.

Now I need to either create or find a suitable resource.pcx to use for this scenario to stop the game from crashing.

Just had a quick look in the editor, and it seems like a few resources have invalid icons, and it might be enough to just set valid icons instead (default valid icons are #0-35, game, seals and tobacco had numbers higher than that, probably because WWII global by Rocoteh has an extended resources file).

Thanks again Freeborn. I checked and you're right. The original scenario had the proper pcx files which I forgot to copy over to my scenario folder. Check the first post for the pcx files you'll need to place in the "art" folder. ;)

I dug up some more history then... Again about Sweden, as it's somewhat an interest of mine ;)

1. In may 1940, the swedish Home Guard was formed. It was a volunteer service where mostly former militaries joined. In autumn 1940, the Home Guard consisted of 90'000 men. They were quite poorly equipped, usually a mauser or hunting rifle and no uniforms.
In civ-terms, this would probably be a cheap and draftable militia-like unit.

2. In 1943, a Home Guard academy was formed. In -44, the Home Guard got extended duties.
In civ-terms, it would be an upgrade of the unit.

3. In february 1940, the Swedish Volunteer Corps was formed. It cosisted of 9'000 men in 4 battalions, mostly swedes but also norwegians and danes, and assisted Finland in the winter war. They had access to a lot of equipment, including mortars, AA guns, AT guns and no ammo restrictions as they had a supply line straight from swedish stockpiles. Since Sweden was "neutral" in the war, the corps was finnish - swedish officers and volunteers were given leave and shipped to Finland, and when they arrived Finland officially formed the unit.
In civ-terms this would probably be a new (autoproduced?) unit for Finland with defensive bombardment and AA capability.

4. In 1942, a swedish APC called KP-bil (abbreviation of armoured car) was developed. It wasn't used until -44 though, mostly due to production problems. The KP only had light machine gun and room for 7 passangers.
An earlier version was called the Lynx or Pansarbil m/39 (armoured car military 1939) and was originally ordered for the danish army in -37, but most of them were confiscated by the swedish. They had 20mm Madsen or Bofors cannons and light machine guns.
Another swedish armoured car was the Landsverk L180, L181 and L182. Those had a mercedes-chassi, 180 horsepowers and were equipped with 20mm Madsen or 37mm Bofors cannons, along with machine guns. Those were ordered by Denmark, Estonia, Ireland and the Netherlands, but captured units were also used by Soviet and Germany (and Sweden used them too) and they had a reputation of being fast and robust.
In civ-terms, it could be an armoured car given to the listed countries with the same tech as the other armoured cars. Possibly a generic armoured car since more countries probably had armoured cars and none of these were produced in any really significant number.

Edit:

5. The swedish infantry was also buffed during the war. The battalions were generally made stronger from -39, which I guess can be reflected in regular/veteran status of the troops. There was however a significant improvement in -43, with a lot more mortars, AA and AT guns and more semi/fully automatic rifles. Even flamethrowers were introduced.
In civ-terms that would mean that pre-placed swedish infantry should be regulars, and that there could be an upgrade of the infantry later on.

All this are just humble suggestions, Sweden is rightfully very weak in this scenario compared to the major powers, but it would be more historically correct if Sweden had enough units to not be overrun by the Soviets in every game.

Edit 2:

6. And please make Prime Minister Per Albin Hansson the leader of Sweden! Likewise, Johan Nygaardsvold should be Prime Minister of Norway, although Haakon VII had more of a leader-role in the norwegian resistance than Gustav V had in swedish politics. Communism could probably be the shunned govt in Sweden (not that it's really needed).

I like your idea about the Swedish volunteer force for the Finns during the Winter War. Were there also Swedish volunteers sent during the Continuation War of 1941-1944?

I forgot to answer your earlier question regarding railroads. All the major nations can produce locomotives (land transports) and railroad workers. I did this in trying to balance keeping railroads to a minimum but providing some sort of alternative. In this way you cannot have infinite units traveling all over the map and not expending movement points. I did not want to eliminate railroads altogether because you need some sort of simulation for strategic movement/redeployment.

I will see how I can add the features you outlined in your post above.

Yeah there was, although not nearly as many. In the winter war around 12'000 swedes applied for duty in Finland. Only 8'000 had arrived before the war was over though - swedish government didn't want to send volunteers too early since Soviet and Germany still had NAP and swedish govt feared that Germany would aid Soviet (and possibly attack Sweden as well). Only ~2'000 swedes fought during the continuation war, mostly because Finland and Germany were allies in this war and less swedes volunteered - it wasn't a David vs. Goliath struggle and Germany had started the great war after all. The quality of the volunteer troops were on the other hand much higher.
A big difference was however that the swedes didn't get special units this time, but were incorporated into finnish units. An idea is to pre-place a couple of veteran Swedish Infantry units belonging to Finland and simply name them "Swedish Volunteer Corps".

With Axis + Soviet + US + GB having railroad workers you cover a huge part of the land area and production of the world... so I don't know if I agree with you there. I'd probably prefer either pre-placed or autoproduced to limit the actual number of railroad workers while at the same time offer faster transports during the late game. And while I love the idea of locomotives it looks odd when you drive them through terrain without existing roads...

Spoiler :

hi, i'm pretty sure I did everything correctly, but I just can't start the game. Anyway to help me out here? Thx in advance.

I'm having exactly the same issue as caedus: missing text: pediaIcons.text "Basic_Fighter".

I am trying to access through Civ Content. It doesn't go to the pick a country screen.

If I go through Conquests option I get a seperate error, a missing Art/Units/6pounder/6pounder.INI? I do get to see the map.

Any help?

Hello Hammerwise,

Well the scenario is functioning properly in my computer however now I'm beginning to wonder if this strange bug has anything to do with what version of C3C people are using.

I have the original Boxed CD that came out in brick and mortar stores several years ago. I know quite a lot of people have purchased the SteamPowered version of the game. Perhaps the file folder structure is different than the original CD version of the game.

Any chance you could provide a screen shot of the WW2 Global - Reloaded folder and where it sits in the directory? The fact that the game cannot find a tech entry that definitely works makes me believe that the above theory is correct. I'll double check my pediaicons.txt and folders when I get home tonight for peace of mind however.

Hello, friends. I'm downloading now this scenario and will try it after few minutes. I post here now, because I want to ask you something. I'm looking for MOD that you can start with WWII with one settler, not with ready cities, army and etc.. Please if somebody know something to write one PM to me. THanks!

There is an error with the 6pounder entry in the pedia file.

The entry should be this:

#ICON_PRTO_6pounderAT
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_6pounderAT

Moff, this is a really good scenario. It uses a variety of units to good effect. You also did a great job on your sound effects (though I swore a Harkonnen called me on the radio and my troops were strafed by a tie fighter). I'm looking forward to trying some of the different countries.

As General pointed out earlier, the invisible flag for night bombers probably shouldn't work at all. I can test it again but I'm pretty sure the flag has no effect on interception and air attacks. If you want to make night bombers harder to intercept, you could give them the stealth flag and then readjust the chance to intercept stealth missions accordingly. Of course, there is no flag for interceptors to counter stealth missions, but your AA batteries can have the stealth attack barrier ability. Just a thought if you're still messing with this; I know you're busy with WWI.

Great job!

Thanks for the feedback 8-Ball, er I mean AnthonyBoscia. ;) [Kelly's Heroes was a great movie!]

I might just try out that suggestion with the stealth attack and barrier for bombers and flak respectively.

You found two of the Easter Eggs I placed in the scenario. :D

PM me (so we don't spoil it for others) where you found the Harkonnen calling you on the radio because that one is a little trickier to spot.

Hello Hammerwise,

Well the scenario is functioning properly in my computer however now I'm beginning to wonder if this strange bug has anything to do with what version of C3C people are using.

I have the original Boxed CD that came out in brick and mortar stores several years ago. I know quite a lot of people have purchased the SteamPowered version of the game. Perhaps the file folder structure is different than the original CD version of the game.

Any chance you could provide a screen shot of the WW2 Global - Reloaded folder and where it sits in the directory? The fact that the game cannot find a tech entry that definitely works makes me believe that the above theory is correct. I'll double check my pediaicons.txt and folders when I get home tonight for peace of mind however.

I have both (store bought) but have been trying with the Civ III Complete edition(sold Out Software).

The file it sits in is:

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Conquests\WW2-Global Reloaded

and also:

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Scenarios\WW2-Global Reloaded

I have gone in and corrected the 6pounder issue, but now I get an error that says M1340/fort/flx is missing.

If I go through Civ Content, I still get the same error as before: missing text: pediaIcons.text "Basic_Fighter".

Ok good info here Hammerwise. To fix the M1340 fort/flx issue you need to go into the M1340.ini and change the fort.flc to fortify.flc. This was an error that the unit creator did. I have fixed it on my computer but have not posted the update here yet.

This scenario does indeed go in the Conquests\Scenario folder. I'm beginning to think the problem you're seeing related to the PediaIcons.txt file being a PTW version and not a C3C version. I need to post an updated PediaIcons.txt that should fix this problem you're seeing. I have PTW\C3C installed on my rig both of which came from the original boxed versions of these two Civ3 addons. That's probably why it works for me but not for a lot of people who have dl'd this scenario using the Civ3: Complete boxed set.

As far as the changes made to the naval system, maybe remove the ability for submarines to bombard the land? As Germany, it is a pain that the British submarine fleet is tasked solely with bombarding your Dutch, Belgian, and French conquests to size-one cities full of redlined troops.

The system works well in AOI, but here it seems a little off.

Top Bottom