Moments that made you smile :)

Xethorsiph

Chieftain
So I havent played Civ III in a while and decided to pick up the game again. I decided to try it at Reagent level to get back into the game, and went right into working towards the philosophy sling shot. At last I get philosophy, and lo and behold, i am the first, and sling shot straight to republic! After getting my new government, I settle in for my mild struggle with the Irqoius (No I will NOT give you 24 gold), and then I see it....the republic sling shot netted me a Scientific Leader!

So what moments have you guys had of sheer fortitude that just made you smile? A timely Scientific great leader, killing the ENEMIES tank with YOUR spearman, or just getting a start surrounded by a field of resources.

Remember my post where i posted my all-lucky starting position (18 cows, lot a wheat and tobacco, all ressource under hand - just a fight needed for coal) ?

With the first hut, just at two tiles of my capital and only city, popping a settler ?

And the one or second tech giving me a leader (with who a insta-build the pyramids, of course) ?

I ask you : Who need womens ?

I remember my first successful Emperor-level game. I remember that I played as the Iros, and I believe it was on continents. By the time I had 4 cities up, Caesar had begun crowding me from the north. If I remember rightly, I had iron very near my capitol, but couldn't see it yet. He planted a city something like 3-4 tiles from my capitol, and even closer to another city.

I had to start my first Emperor-level war with the magnificent military might of 4 archers! (All of my warriors were busy on MP duty & playing defense.) Three of my four archers died in the first attack, but the fourth took the city. :ar15:

That made me smile.

I have around 25 four-cavalry armies in 770 AD. I'll post back with a bigger smile once I get to 1000 AD.

I don't play much at the moment, but in a recent game I got twin SGL's for Philosophy and Republic.

I thought you couldn't have more than one Leader (SGL/ MGL) at a time. :eek: so..you obviously didn't get them on the slingshot, or did you?

You can only have one Military leader at a time, but you can have more than one Scientific leader. This is because the game checks for a pre-existing leader during combat, but not for completing a tech.

And yes, I got them on the slingshot. :D

This:
So I'm playing a Monarch level epic game right now, and I'm third in tech. Playing the Persians, and it's at the of the Middle Age Era. I'm two or three techs behind the AI, and I'm at the end of my GA (took it late, trying to hook up Iron). I've got about 3k gold banked, and am drawing in about 300 gpt. So I go to the celts, and ask what they want for Physics, Military Tradition, ToG, & Magnetism. He asks for all my gold, some piddly gpt, an optional tech I had, (Free Artistry, I think) and my WM. I generally don't like committing this much at once, but I'm desperate to catch up. I'm coming up on another tech in a turn or two, so I figure go ahead and do it, and use that tech to get what industrial techs they have.

So I trade it, and it launches me into the Industiral Age. I pick up Nationalism as my bonus tech, and I turn right back around and sell it back to the Celts, getting all my gold back, plus a little more, and instead of paying out 5 or 10 gpt, he's giving me 36. Babylon is second in tech, and I manage to get Steam Power out of them. So finally I got tech parity (later than I usually get, but I had Protugal and India hemmed in and they weren't researching worth a darn) and lucky me, Babylon and the Celts go to war. So I see clear sailing on to US, ToE & HD.

And I thought I wasn't going to do too well this game. . . :D

Probably the first time that I added a unit to one of my mods, the Carthaginian War Elephant to Ptolemy's Map, and it WORKED!

Ai stupidity in last game... i played archi as the english, got an amazing start (huge island to myself). And got miles and miles ahead. Im trading with the americans to their advantage, got about 200 units, artillery and modern armour etc... was bored of being so far ahead and going for a quick space victory.

Suddenly im invaded...by american horsemen and pikemen... which definitely made me smile...

Strange combat results!...same game i decided to punish the americans by killing them off, sent 20 modern armour to wipe their little island... thinking it would be plenty... but i hadnt counted on their 'super pikeman' who wiped out the first modern armour i used, made me chuckle imagining the fight...but also had me worried for a bit.

I started out with crap for resources, but then when I discovered the tech for oil, THERE WAS A HUGE OIL FIELD IN THE CENTER OF MY NATION!!!!!! I dominated from then on.

the third time the Celts try to rebuild Richborough, the city that was right next to my regrouping three-man chariot stack. Honestly, what did i build my own workers for.

Last night, when I realised that, in my current game, the Iroquois (sp?), a 'powerful' neighbour whose lands I am jealous of, do not have access to iron :lol:! Both they and I are in the Middle Ages, and they lack iron, so they can only build Spearmen, Archers, and Warriors. Not sure if they have horses, they might (add Horsemen to the equation), but it doesn't make a whole lot of difference - I do have iron :mischief:. So, an opponent who I have made many military alliances with (and who broke at least one!), who are now attacking the Japanese (who yet again signed a military alliance against me with the Aztecs), and who have beautiful lands, can be defeated more easily. RNG be damned, I'm gonna prepare the armies!

I have a large empire, and I have only a few defensive units defending on the front lines. Then, my enemy, England, learns Amphibious Warfare. I scramble to cover my coastal cities that are within range of her majesty's navy. But, out of the fog comes 3 destroyers and one transport and drop off a single marine, NEXT TO an undefended coastal city.

34 four cavalry armies in 1000 AD, having lost 2 on that turn, and probably 6 overall, with 65% of the territory, with the Dutch only having 2 cities left, and the Hittites having 12-18, on a Huge Deity 60% pangea map which started with 15 opponents. I also put the Military Academy in a corrupt 1 shield per turn location, and had 2 turns left on Sanitation needing only Flight, Mass Production, and Motorized Transportation to enter the modern era.

34 cav armies! That'd make me smile, too. Out of curiosity, why put the MA in such a corrupt town. Obviously, you're not in dire need of the ability to build armies, but I always put the MA in my capital, so that I've got something to use as a prebuild, assuming there aren't any Wonders available for that.

playing sid recently (i don't do this often) and i was over the dom limit for land, but was only high 50s for pop. one rival left on a tiny arch map. beating back attackers, i climbed to 65% pop. stayed there for many turns. i look at the victory screen and see i have 66%, end turn. no victory. what? rival must have grown because i was back to 65%. that turn my rival landed a strong force on land i was not prepared to defend. i would lose some cities in a turn or two, and i knew i would not regain the advantage. this was a bitter ending to a long hard game, end turn. waiting for the attack next turn, when this appeared: Domination Victory! i suddenly had over 70% pop. what? looking closer i noticed all my rival's cities had lost pop. they made a conversion to fascism on their turn causing the loss in population and giving me the victory. :lol:

Aabraxan said:
34 cav armies! That'd make me smile, too. Out of curiosity, why put the MA in such a corrupt town. Obviously, you're not in dire need of the ability to build armies, but I always put the MA in my capital, so that I've got something to use as a prebuild, assuming there aren't any Wonders available for that.

I had a build on the Military Academy going on my capital actually when I got an MGL. The corrupt town I placed it in, as I recall, could use that MGL immediately while no other city closer to my core could. So, the MGL went to that city, and I bought some of the other armies and got some off of MGLs.

Top Bottom