Monarch Madness

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Olfart, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Olfart

Olfart Black Briar Meademaster

I've been following some of the shadow games, and decided to play above my level of incompetence and try monarch. My goal was just to survive to 1AD. Actually made it past 1000AD, but the game is not in the best of shape. I've learned the diplomacy is critical and that I whip far too seldom. My main problem is maintaining adequate military and research at the same time. I was not too badly off in tech, but my military sucked. I mainly survived by begging and pleading a lot. Played as Ragnar on a pangea map (random roll). If I could figure out how to get images from image shack to show in spoilers, I'd post the start position. If anyone wants to give at whirl, I'm willing to restart and have a better player shadow. I use the latest BAT mod if that's a problem. My initial post was hosed because I blew it with imageshack (sorry).

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Click on the "Share it" button next to your image. Click on the first big box labeled "Forums". Copy and paste it directly into a Spoiler tag.

3. Olfart

@lymond: Next stupid question is, how do I resize the image? Your instructions worked, but the image is tiny. Appreciate you patience.

4. Olfart

Forget my last question. Some idiot clicked on the thumbnail box. Here is the opening. Moving the settler 1E and researching AH first would be my choice. See attached save (using BAT).
    Spoiler :

Attached Files:

5. lymond

You can resize an image on the upload page as seen here:

Spoiler :

1280X1024 is a good size

6. lymond

Well, always move your scout or warrior first. I'd move him SE to get a better view for the possibility of settling 1SE. That's the only reason I would lose a turn moving. No point in losing a turn to move blindly 1E for no realized gain. You already have wet corn and cows.

Why AH? You have wet corn. That is the priority. If you want AH afterwards for the good cow tile, that might be reasonable. Ag + Hunting gives bonus on AH anyway. However, I would not set path to Ag>AH before seeing resources. Something like Mining > BW may make you more productive faster.

7. lymond

ack! why do you play Epic speed. I woulda shadowed some

8. Olfart

The AH first is a case of the fingers now knowing what the mind is planning. I would go AG first and farm the cows. Then mining, BW, and wheel. First build a worker followed by warriors to 3 Pop and the first settler.

I play epic speed to slow the game down a little for me, and I've become comfortable at that speed. If it would help, I'll roll a new game at normal and see how that plays out. Would you prefer unmodified, or is BAT mod good?

9. lymond

IMO, everyone should have the BAT mod installed. It's standalone, so there is no problem in having it installed. Great mod. I use it for all my personal games.

Nah, keep playing this one, but I do recommend trying Normal speed.

Looks like a good start.

Anyway, obviously you don't set your tech plan until you actually settle, and scouting can start to change that somewhat. However, generally you are going for your best food resource tech, if you don't already have it. Then go for production.

10. Olfart

Moving the scout 1SE reveals gold 2S of the water. If I move the settler 1E, I can capture gold, wheat, and cows in the BFC. Looks like the right move to me. Research Ag first, followed by mining and the wheel before moving to BW. My thought is to work the three resources and plant an additional mine before BW. Will send the scout around the city to see what else is out there. If tyou agree this is a good start, will play around 25 turns or so before checking back in.

11. lymond

Post a pic or save. Anyway, I took a look.

You get gold, corn and cows if you SIP, so why move 1E and lose a turn. There is no purpose for that move. You are simply overthinking where to settle. You don't always have to move you settler.

However, if you settle 1SE you do have a realized gain - hammer boost in city center. That''s the only move I'd make here. Otherwise I'd just SIP. (Settling 1SE is the right move)

ha...no no no....BW before TW. You just delay your production doing that. You will get settler out faster with BW, as well as another worker, plus it's good to know where copper might be before settling your first city. BW is a huge boost to the early game and you almost always want that asap.

12. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

>My main problem is maintaining adequate military and research at the same time.

Sounds more like your main problem is diplomacy and knowing the AI's tendencies. Of course if Ragnar is breathing down your neck, build a city on a hill, whip walls and throw a hand full of archers in there, but it's often not necessary to pump units when you're not warring.

13. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Just a small comment: I would recommend turning on tile yields so you can clearly see the food, production, and commerce breakdown.

14. Olfart

Settled in place, built a worker, and researched Ag and Mining. Worker is building a farm on the cows since they were closest (bad choice?). I presume I should plan to improve all the food tiles before anything else? Took DMOCs advice and turned on resource bubbles. Just met Justinian who appears to be to my east. Researching BW now. Plan to do wheel next, followed by pottery. At Noble, I would probably go Myst next for border pops, but I wonder if this is the right choice at Monarch. Screen shot is of my revealed world to turn 30.

Spoiler :
    " align="" border="0" />

@Lymond: Will run this game on epic speed since it's already underway. Any future games will be at normal speed. Also, I turned off huts and random events, even though I'll miss the occasional goodies from huts.

15. Olfart

forgot to attach the save to my last post.

Attached Files:

16. enKage

enKage Follower of Zoamelgustar

You have riverside plain hill 1SW from settler and still 2 food resources + gold in BFC. Why not settling it? It is only 1 green rivertile less but adds permament +1 hammer. It would also not block settling 2nd city directly on riverside wine what is always worth when playing financial civ

Agri-AH - BW souns good, as you start with gold and mining

Farmed cows will give you 4 food, corn will give 6 food, so it is a very bad choice.
    Farm corn, then gold, then cows if you go with researching AH, If you omit AH, then farm cows before mining gold, but AFTER corn

EDIT
    Oh, you play Ragnar. So skip AH. Agri - Mining - BW

17. lymond

not sure what the point of playing this if you don't listen :lol:

18. Olfart

@lymond: I obviously misunderstood your post. I thought you were giving me a choice between SIP or moving 1SE. Chose SIP to save a turn as you pointed out. I did defer researching wheel until after BW as you suggested. Meanwhile, the thought of moving 1SW to settle intrigues me. My concern here is that land further SW doesn't look good. I will restart, this time with settling 1SE.

@Enkage: Thanks for clarifying cows vs corn farming. I was thinking to work the nearest resource first. Obviously, I need to rethink. I don't normally play as Ragnar. This was a random leader on a shuffle map. I've been trying to learn to play whatever hand I'm dealt.

19. lymond

oh gosh, I didn't even notice you were farming the cows..:lol: C'mon Olfart, that's just clearly not a good move.

As for where to settle, I was simply trying to explain the logic around why you would move a settler at all. I clearly stated 1SE was the right move.

20. enKage

enKage Follower of Zoamelgustar

Played a little
    Spoiler :
    Very very very easy map. Lots of food, easy rush to eliminate very strong in mid and late game AI, rivers everywhere... Perfect for Ragnar and very good for learning purposes