Monarch - need some more advice!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Rast, Mar 22, 2006.

  1. Rast

    Rast Warlord

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2006
    Messages:
    125
    So, after about a dozen games of Monarch, I've developed exactly two workable strategies.

    I can almost always win with the Incans by using their UU to hold off barbs and enemy civs alike till I get some cottages and courthouses up. I hold off the early war till I get construction then go rampaging with catapults and axemen. Once I get to a comfortable size, I either push on for domination, or stop and build science like it's going out of style (Even Mansa can't keep up :lol: )and build the spaceship.

    I can sometimes win the Romans. Instead of doing my normal early tech build (Beeline to BW, Beeline to Pottery, Beeline to Alphabet, trade of stuff I missed, then Code of Laws), I research Iron Working after Pottery, then Animal Husbaundry/Agriculture (I need the improvements ASAP and can't wait to trade for tech), then Alphabet / Code of Laws. I build some Praetorians as early as possible and go rampaging against the barbs and enemy civs alike. As I miss out on a lot of early cottages since I'm chop/pop-rushing Praetorians and barracks my ecomony is mostly pillage-powered for quite a while. If the war machine rolls until Courthouses come I'm fine. If something stops it (last game I had a stack of 8 die to two fortified archers at 80% odds :cry: ) I'm screwed since my research falls to 10 or 20% and I get hopelessly behind.

    Early cottage spam with Washington, which worked great up through Prince, leaves me too weak early on to be very viable. Haven't tried culture yet on Monarch.
     
  2. Periander

    Periander Chieftain

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2006
    Messages:
    24
    Location:
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have no troubles with Monarch now, I always go Bronze asap, chop rush a few axemen and take out a neighbour... After that the AI usually leaves me be for a while. Chop to quickly finish off the Pyramids, (this can be tight!), once you have Rep there's no turning back. I like Qin for the start, but Elizabeth is probably better in the long run, (philo + redcoats ftw).
     
  3. Kalleyao

    Kalleyao Prince

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2006
    Messages:
    483
    Location:
    Europe
    Early war is the way.
     
  4. fuji

    fuji Chieftain

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2005
    Messages:
    35
    Indeed, or is not possible, wait untill your UI, built a lot of them and attack,
    This worked (on Prince) in my Japan game, while Samurai arent that great.
     
  5. Gumbolt

    Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2006
    Messages:
    23,426
    Location:
    UK
    I always develop techs that help land after bw if i have the resources. On Monarch they dont rush to alphabet.

    Cant have too many workers!!! Perhaps you need more? Then again the AI must have plenty you could have? :mischief:

    How many praetorians do you need?

    The Oracle is good for a free tech. Iron working/ codes of law maybe?

    Plenty on forum on how to start the early stage of the game :)
     

Share This Page