Monarch - need some more advice!

Rast

Warlord
So, after about a dozen games of Monarch, I've developed exactly two workable strategies.

I can almost always win with the Incans by using their UU to hold off barbs and enemy civs alike till I get some cottages and courthouses up. I hold off the early war till I get construction then go rampaging with catapults and axemen. Once I get to a comfortable size, I either push on for domination, or stop and build science like it's going out of style (Even Mansa can't keep up :lol: )and build the spaceship.

I can sometimes win the Romans. Instead of doing my normal early tech build (Beeline to BW, Beeline to Pottery, Beeline to Alphabet, trade of stuff I missed, then Code of Laws), I research Iron Working after Pottery, then Animal Husbaundry/Agriculture (I need the improvements ASAP and can't wait to trade for tech), then Alphabet / Code of Laws. I build some Praetorians as early as possible and go rampaging against the barbs and enemy civs alike. As I miss out on a lot of early cottages since I'm chop/pop-rushing Praetorians and barracks my ecomony is mostly pillage-powered for quite a while. If the war machine rolls until Courthouses come I'm fine. If something stops it (last game I had a stack of 8 die to two fortified archers at 80% odds :cry: ) I'm screwed since my research falls to 10 or 20% and I get hopelessly behind.

Early cottage spam with Washington, which worked great up through Prince, leaves me too weak early on to be very viable. Haven't tried culture yet on Monarch.

I have no troubles with Monarch now, I always go Bronze asap, chop rush a few axemen and take out a neighbour... After that the AI usually leaves me be for a while. Chop to quickly finish off the Pyramids, (this can be tight!), once you have Rep there's no turning back. I like Qin for the start, but Elizabeth is probably better in the long run, (philo + redcoats ftw).

Early war is the way.

Indeed, or is not possible, wait untill your UI, built a lot of them and attack,
This worked (on Prince) in my Japan game, while Samurai arent that great.

I always develop techs that help land after bw if i have the resources. On Monarch they dont rush to alphabet.

Cant have too many workers!!! Perhaps you need more? Then again the AI must have plenty you could have? :mischief:

How many praetorians do you need?

The Oracle is good for a free tech. Iron working/ codes of law maybe?

Plenty on forum on how to start the early stage of the game :)

Top Bottom