1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Monarch Student^ XIII- Boudica

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by BigTime, Jan 19, 2010.

1. BigTime

BigTime Prince

Hello all, Bigtime here to present the 13th edition of Monarch Student Prime!

Our leader this time: Boudica of the Celts!

Boudica is AGGRESSIVE and CHARISMATIC One of the previous forbidden trait combos, this obviously shows that Boudica is a warmongerer. Arguably one of the best Warmongering combos, Boudica is a born killer: Barracks and Drydocks 25% cheaper, free combat 1 for melee and gunpowder units, and 25% cheaper promos. To top it off, you get an innate +1 happy, a +1 happy from monuments, and a +1 happy from broadcast towers. The last one might be not extremely useful, but the first two let you grow your cities big quickly and counteract war weariness. Unfortunately, her uniques make one just say "meh".

Her unique building is the Dun, which gives all eligible units the Guerilla 1 promo:

To be honest, I never found much of a use for this UB. It replaces a building I never build, and its bonus is negligible. I guess for a city on a hill, uber promoted Longbows could be made in case defense is needed? :dunno: In any case, at least it has some snergy with the UU

Her UU is the Gallic Warrior, a swordsman that starts with the Guerilla 1 Promo and requires Iron OR Copper to build.

With the Dun and a barracks, ( and theocracy/vassalage/settled GG) this means Guerilla 3 Gallics out of the gates. Personally, I'd rather just take CR. :p I personally don't like this set of uniques, but maybe other players can use them to their advantage.

And of course, the start:

One off the river with no real way to escape it w/o losing the marble :mad: Irrigated corn is always nice, but a lot of brown terrain to the south :sad: Marble is in the original BFC as well, I wonder if people will go down the aesthetics line? :D I'd say it's a good change from the ridiculous Washington start, and hopefully the map won't be as easy. (I am playing it blind)

Map is:

Spoiler :

Fractal
    Temperate
    Medium Sea Level

Huts and Events are ON, remove them in the custom scenario if you wish. (just make sure to cover the top part with your hand so you don't see the AIs :p)

And a cut-and-paste from Meatbuster's Monarch Student games:

Save the file and place it in your Documents/BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Then unzip it into your Documents/BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Then use Playing a scenario to play your desired level. Or use custom scenario if you want to remove huts and/or events.

Recommended Checkpoints:
    *1000BC or 1AD
    *500AD
    *1000AD or Liberalism
    *Victory!

Please remember to put the journals of your adventures inside spoiler tags.

There are 3 saves for difficulty: Noble, Monarch, and Immortal. Please make sure nothing is wrong someone (i.e. TMIT :p) as this is my first host. If you want to add archery to the barbs for Monarch+, you have to go in the worldbuilder, go to civs-barbarians-techs, and click on archery. I can't do it :(

Thanks go to TMIT for making an excellent map creation guide and to mjg5591 for getting this series back on track!

And finally, the save!

Attached Files:

2. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Immortal/normal

~500 AD

Spoiler :

I settled in place. This map was a bit annoying to me as the RNG dropped 4 barb cities in my immediate territory (!) and it interfered with my city placement.

I got beat to parthenon and statue of zeus (traded for ivory). I have the monopoly on music so sistine is mine. Kublai and SB hate each other, the rest like me (kublai likes me also).

This is a bit of an intermediate setup for culture as I don't usually put SS of the 500's AD.

1824 ----> Victory

Spoiler :

I lost liberalism to mansa. Fortunately I was close behind and via teching PP next was able to trade for nationalism anyway. Sitting bull and kublai went back at it, and SB capped him. After flipping one of SB's cities, I gifted it back, getting him to pleased.

Mansa went culture whore with 5 religions. Bismark was met about 10-20 turns before victory.

After I got nationalism I just turned up the culture slider. I wound up flipping 5 cities. 1 (warwick) was kept, 3 (2 sal, 1 SB) were disbanded, 1 was kept and given back to SB. Mansa raced me and lost:

The top 3 cities:

Simple enough if one can boost the backstabber (vicky) to friendly and sal to pleased because the others distract each other quite heavily.

3. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

The UU/UB is not bad if you know how to play it right. The upgraded GWs with Guerilla3 are like quasi Horse Archers with better innate city attack and I think equal or better withdrawal chance than Flanking II. That can be very powerful early, plus with Char you can have G3CR1 pretty quickly with the survival chances. And probably worth mentioning that those promos negate some of the effect of hill city defense.

Actually, I don't think the GWs can get to Guerilla 3 out of the gate until you settle a GG. They would be C1G2, I think.

Yeah, the Dun may not set the world on fire but it's pretty nice for getting out to a great start with those units. And you only have to build it in your unit pumps. Plus, with stone you will finish them very fast - usually one turn after whipping a unit or something.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think the Civlopedia is kind of misleading about the free Dun Guerrilla promo. I pretty sure Archery Units do not receive it. I do think Gundpowder does though.

4. lymond

Really, TMIT...how do you play that fast? I know you play on normal which I rarely like to do, but when I do it still takes me a good long time. 2 hrs? wow...you da mon

5. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

The game was ~80 minutes actually. It helps to play a peaceful VC, and I'm used to playing quickly in general. Unit micro was pretty low for me in this one also.

6. BigTime

BigTime Prince

Emperor/epic to 1 AD

Spoiler :

Settled 1S for river and commerce bonus. Had a lot of room to REX, so I did. Marble city w/pigs was settled 2nd, resulting in this:

Selected COL, which became good trade bait and got the religion, which I spread to Vicky to incur religious hate. Unfortunately, she switched to Hindu quickly. I went down the aesthetics line, which allowed me to get this:

I'm building SPaya for FR maybe and because, you guessed it, I'm going culture. Three cities are prob going to be capital, marble city, and Tolosa. GL on the way as well and it looks like I'm going to be the first to music.

Empire:

As long as I can keep people off my back, culture should be reasonable. If I get a GP from the Oracle, I'll use him to bulb theo and found Christianity, which would give me a fourth religion.

7. BigTime

BigTime Prince

You are right on all counts :) With theo or vassalage you could G3 Gallics out of the gate. I just am not good at leveraging these Uniques. Hell, I am going culture with a Charismatic Aggressive leader :lol:

8. BigTime

BigTime Prince

Emperor/epic to 1832 Culture

Spoiler :

Not much to say. Built sistine:

Beat out Mansa to Lib, and took Nationalism. Built the Taj, switched into Rep-FS, culture slider to max. I built some other random culture wonders like Hagia, Versailles, and Spaya. Once I saw Sal cap to Mansa :)eek:) I switched into Hindu+ Pac to put out some more GAs. I had five religions to work with, so it wasn't that hard to win culture.

The three cities:

Graphs, Builds, and Demos:

Gotta love being #1 in land and GNP going culture. Nobody was pressing culture or space at all. Sitting Bull actually managed to be quite powerful, even though he was harassed by Kublai early on. Even Mansa, a culture whore, was wayyyyy behind me in culture.

The top five:

My taj city even made it :D

And the sucktastic score:

Eh, blame culture wins. This culture win felt a lot better than the really sloppy NC Lincoln one, which shows in the end date (more than 100 years earlier vic). The map was interesting, and religious situtation made it tough to choose sides because I was squished. Fun map though. I flipped two of sal's cities and was close to flipping another one of his and one of Mansa's. I kept them for the temples.

9. BigTime

BigTime Prince

Man TMIT when are the culture victories going to stop :crazyeye:

10. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

NEVER!! (defy resolution)

But you're not one to talk this time :lol:. How many artists did you get?

11. BigTime

BigTime Prince

I got seven artists. 3 were bombed in third city, 1 each in cap and second culture city. Music artist was settled and one was used for GA.

And hey, I've only done 2 culture wins in a row, not like 20 :lol:

12. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I would need to do 100 culture wins in a row to just START competing with my UN finishes :p. Why not though? Its a good diversion from the way I've played for a long time and I've learned a new thing or two about this game in the process. Also, it's pretty funny to wreck the AI in the race to victory with 6 cities and marginal effort.

13. BigTime

BigTime Prince

That is true. Nothing says owned like being 20 techs back with 6 cities and winning. I've learned a couple of things as well, especially that it can be faster than space in many cases, as long you go for it quickly and get sistine.

Oh. And that marble is to culture just as aluminum is to space.

14. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

:lol:. Actually you don't really need sistine, it just helps (adds about 10-20 base culture which is significant but not mandatory). What you *need* is about 300 culture per turn if you start with it early, and a bunch of artist GPP. The artists are really important ---> I didn't win lib like you did, was playing on a harder level, and had less culture/turn in my cities than any of yours, and still won a couple turns sooner on a faster speed. The reason is probably twofold: I turned up the slider sooner and I got 4 more artists.

Note that if I didn't get sistine, I would still have completed culture before the AI could finish anything else ----> I had another artist in 2 turns that could have covered 100-200 turns of sistine religious building help.

I'm starting to think I should go caste + pacifism earlier, as rather than 11 artists, if I were to get say 15 or 20 that would be 16000 or 36000 extra culture respectively...probably getting the multipliers completed sooner couldn't compete even with 16000.

Lib is hard to pass up though since it not only gives 100% for FS but also powers up towns a lot (enough to make then stronger than sistine artists in non-gpp output).

15. BigTime

BigTime Prince

I think Lib, if you win it or not is pretty nice for FS. Artists are really important, which is why I had a bit longer of a finish date than you with more culture p/turn. Sistine does make culture a lot easier IMO.

How much earlier do you want to go caste + pacifism? I went caste after Lib when I ramped up the slider (not pac stupid religious Sal next door). I guess if you want to completely sacrifice lib you can go for it right when you hit philo.

16. obsolete

obsolete Deity

LOL, you are quite mistaken :p

17. BigTime

BigTime Prince

Ya obsolete I caught that, sorry. But! With a dun and a barracks and theocracy it means Guerilla 3 Gallics out of the gates!

18. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Why should going caste + pac earlier preclude lib? I've been switching to them after lib but I see no reason to delay it past whipping temples in minor cities theoretically (assuming you don't want war). It doesn't seem like getting the cathedrals sooner (esp in cities that aren't good to whip, like cottage cities) is a big deal and your infra requirements to amass culture are pretty low (most cities get granary, courthouse, temple, often a library (not always), and wealth...no reason one can't have most/all that by early ADs).

For me I wanted to get the cathedrals and hermitage done more quickly, but the more I think about it the less that seems to matter compared against even just 2 more artists (one bombed in each city that would have delayed the cathedrals).

It would take 80 cathedral turns in a city with 100 base :culture: to match a single artist bomb. This seems to fall painfully behind generating more artists in GP farm cities and slow-building.

It's not like you need oxford or any universities if you're turning your science slider off about 10-20 turns after completing them (at most), either.

19. huerfanista

huerfanista Emperor

Culture win with Boudica? Not my cup of tea. :lol: monarch/normal 125AD:

Spoiler :

I sent the warrior to north to the hilltop and spotted pigs and gold, but couldn't see how to fit them in, so I decided to settle in place. I'm not sure we'll even get to Steam Power in this game, so levees aren't a big concern. :p

Opening tech order was archery (hut), AG (completed by hut), mining, BW, IW, wheel (hut), AH, masonry, pottery, writing, and I also grabbed about 140 :gold: from huts.

I decided to REX, and whipped 3 settlers at pop 4. First settler went to grab the stone/pigs/wheat, next one got the iron/cows/corn, third one grabbed the gold/pigs/silk. I put 1 turn into stonehege and got some failure gold, then set all cities building GWs while I finished the GW and 'mids in the capital once stone was hooked up.

Once writing was in I set research to alpha and turned the :science: slider off while building a couple of libraries, but more :hammers: went into GWs.

Saladin was busy building the Oracle, so he only had 2 cities and 4 archers total when I decided that such mismanagement of his land needed to be put to a stop. :lol:

All GWs were promoted to G2. The survivors get G3 and become monsters (G3C1CR3 can take down just about anything it's likely to face). Sal didn't even whip out any defenders (he must not have BW yet :confused: ), so the Hindu and Jewish holy cities are mine for the price of 4 GWs. :crazyeye:

Once Sal was gone, everyone but Kublai had alpha so I used my pile of cash to research math. I traded it around for med, poly, fishing, alpha, and set research to construction and CoL.

Next up was Vicky, who hads copper hooked up and some axes. Different civ, same result:

She had 4 cities. 1 autorazed and I kept the other 3. London had the buddhist holy city, so now I have all 3 of the early holy cities. I guess I'll have to crank out a few Great Prophets. CS is due in 5 turns, it's time to start whipping out courthouses. I went CS instead of aesthetics, since Vicky was the only one who had it and she's dead so no rush. I'm building up catapults, and will add some more once the courts are in, then I think we'll pay a visit to the Bull.

I think this game is just about effectively wrapped up.

View attachment MSXIII Boudica AD-0125.CivBeyondSwordSave

20. lymond

brief update to about 1AD Monarch/Epic

Spoiler :
    Really nice map and location. A lot of good resources in the vicinity and lots o gold. I like a central location as you can expand and block in a circular fashion securing a nice chunk of land Two spots stood out to me first The FP and Gold to the west near Sal. I did get a good spot but he settle in the awsome Gold/FP location to the north of that before I could get it - he will have to go down. Unfortunately, he just got construction. I really should have GW rushed him earlier. I decided to grab Hindu early which I hope will pay off eventually, although I chose to bulb Theo later with a GP instead of a shrine. I aspect with the Oracle in my Cap that I will pop another GP or two for the shrines. Bibracte could make a nice Bureau/Wall street.

I took two Barb cities to the west. Once of them was all the way next to Mansa and my lone GW opportunistically took out the last weakened archer after Mansa's swords...well....fell on their sword. I settled a couple of cities near the stone and silk to the northwest and have back-filled nicely, beating some Sitting Bull settlers to the punch. I think I have about 10 cities which should be enough for now until I decide to do some conquest-ing.

I'm a little worried about diplo. I have not opted for a religion yet since everything is a mixed bag and no-one has really stepped up. Mansa has a high power rating but I generally don't worry about him and Kublai is far away. While not grossly pissing off anyone yet, I haven't exactly endeared myself to anyone either. Anyway, once I do - if I do - adopt a religion it could get real messy. Of course, someone may help make my decision for me.

With marble I went the Aesthetic path and alread built the Great Library. I hope to get the Parth in soon too which I started on prior to TGL.

Really good setup with endless possibilities with this map. I hope I can take down Sal before Camel Archers. He's one of my least favorite AIs and always causes me problems.