1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Monarch Student^ XXIX Roosevelt

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by BigTime, Feb 14, 2011.

1. BigTime

BigTime Prince

Welcome to 29th edition of Monarch Student Prime! This week, we use a leader that in the AIs hands is fairly weak, but in ours is a pretty solid leader:

Roosevelt is industrious and organized, meaning he can do a little bit of everything. His expansion is improved due to organized and he can set up courthouses at a discount. On the flipside, he can also wonderspam to get some other nice bonuses. A fairly well-rounded and solid leader that doesn't see a lot of forum action, probably because america has three leaders.

His UU is the Navy Seal:

A marine that also has march. Kinda crappy, to be honest. It would have been pretty nice had it been march on a infantry, but marines are not really used in primary stacks, and even when doing amphibious attacks the marines just heal on the transports. It also comes a little late, when victory is near, so it doesn't usually get to be used that much.

His UB is the Mall:

A supermarket replacement that provides a 20% increase to gold and +1 happiness from the mass media wonders. The bonuses it gets are great, with solid increases to both health and happy caps, as well as more gold. The downside is that it does come very late, and you generally will only be building these when going space. It's a great building, but it takes a while to get it.

The Start:

Un-irrigated corn and some silk. Where's the resources? :confused: Most likely there is another one in the BFC. At least we have some riverside!

Another fractal map, seems like the best choice for this type of thing.

Huts and Events are OFF, add events in the custom scenario if you wish. (just make sure to cover the top part with your hand so you don't see the AIs )

And a cut-and-paste from Meatbuster's Monarch Student games:

Save the file and place it in your Documents/BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Then unzip it into your Documents/BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Then use Playing a scenario to play your desired level. Or use custom scenario if you want to remove huts and/or events.

Recommended Checkpoints:
    *1000BC or 1AD
    *500AD
    *1000AD or Liberalism
    *Victory!

Please remember to put the journals of your adventures inside spoiler tags.

For Monarch+ players please try to add archery back to the barbs in WB. If you don't, AIs will capture cities with archers very early in the game, which is no fun. If you prefer easymode barbs, that's fine too, just don't go wondering why an AI captured a barb city in the very early BCs!

Thanks go to TMIT for making an excellent map creation guide and to mjg5591 for getting this series back on track!

And finally, the save!

Attached Files:

2. Choeimok

Choeimok Spreading the confusion

I only have two and a half Prince victories under my belt, but I feel daring today. Let's try this.

Monarch/Normal, 2480 BC (advice, anyone?)
    Spoiler :

I wanted to move the warrior 1NE, but sent him 1SE instead:smoke:
    Well, there didn't seem to be any hills in the fog anyway, so I settled in place.Got lucky with that cow, if I would have moved to get more river tiles I would have missed it.

I didn't play too much, since this is my first game at Monarch so I'm still insecure. So... Pacal has settled his second city to the northeast, and I'm pretty sure it's 1SE of my location. Misses a whale, well that's Pacal's problem...for now.
    So, my plan would be to settle the gold site first. Problem here is, it has no food except for two floodplains. It could get a pig, but that would either mean settling closer to Mutal (->annoying holy capital culture) or on top of one of the gold tiles (a waste). As for the northwest, I'm not quite sure where to settle here, at all. No way I can get the corn, both Floodplains, the river and not be one off the coast. Or split it up into two cities and give the corn to the calender (not sure which one that is, but I'm pretty sure it's a comparatively low yield tile later on :/) site? That would mean settling on a FP though. Oh well, before making any such decisions, I probably should do some more scouting up there and look for seafood.

The south. That rice and floodplains location is looking awesome, will lack production after the forest are gone for a long, long time though. The stone could mean some wonderspam, but it's so inconveniently located. Not even seafood down there.

Techpath went AH (for the cow, also revealed a BFC horse), Mining (still haven't started on any mines though:sad:, Wheel, Pottery (what else am I going to do with that riverside grassland?), BW (I might want to kill Pacal, he turned out to be uncomfortably close even though I met him late. And Slavery and Chopping are always useful, especially with events off.)
    Not sure where to go next.

So, what to do next? Where to settle (my first settler was just finished in the capital), what to do about the fact that Pacal is so close? Leave him alone for a while, or go for a rush? In case I should rush, with what? Axes (IF I get copper) or HAs (I don't really like Chariot rushes unless I'm Egypt or Persia, and it's probably too late for them anyway). Problem with Axes is that they're worse against Archers, problem with HAs is that Pacal has a resourceless spear and researching HBR would take a while. Maybe Swords?
    The good news is that JC is choked in the jungle, giving him a slow early game. Also, both he and Pacal founded religions, this might come in handy for me. Too bad I'm not SPI...

3. Gwaja

Gwaja King

Oooh, I think I will give this one a go.

I don't play much with Industrial leaders, but what the heck!

Signing in at Emperor.

4. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Got scr00d. Will probably try again

Spoiler :

JC DoW me ~ 800 BC despite having 2 people @ annoyed. Small stack, I walled it easily with my hill archers that I whipped ASAP. The problem is that Pacal, at pleased and ALSO with worst enemies DoW'd also (he was not bribed). He insta-gibbed one of my back cities with chariots and followed it up with about 10-12 units cats/chariot/melee in the late BC. Combined with the pressure from JC and the LACK OF HORSE OR COPPER to take the city back, I had to rely on iron.

Iron immediately on his borders. I had another source out by the western side of the empire in the desert, but could not realistically hook it up in time.

Talk about trashy RNG-screw. Really game? You're sending TWO AI at me two ignore their WORST enemy at the SAME time, both plotting and hitting in close tandem? If I'd have known that Pacal was going to DoW also I'd have chain-whipped archers...but there was no reason to expect that would happen since there were perfectly hated heathens with -7 worse diplo than me for him nearby.

I can stop such shenanigans but I just wasn't up for putting up with the BS. The magnification of this garbage in civ V is part of what makes it such a bad game, but the writing was on the wall from firaxis long before. Fortunately, IV is still playable. Usually. When unit selection works in MP that is (control click does not always work)

5. Gwaja

Gwaja King

Hey TheMeInTeam,

Have you uploaded a new video walkthrough yet?
    I'd love to see another one, hopefully the same one I am playing! ^_^

6. gorf37

gorf37 Warlord

I'm in for this one (Monarch). Haven't taken any screen shots yet, but I'll try to do a better write-up before continuing to play.

Spoiler :

The start looked so-so, moved the warrior NW and found nothing of consequence, so SIP.

Started with AH (gotta love riverside plains cows), and hoping for horses, since there were so many treeless tiles that could hide a strategic resource. When discovered the horse, I met Pacal early, and he founded Hinduism shortly thereafter, the die was cast for a chariot rush.

Techs: AH/Wheel/Mining/BW/Writing/Math

Build: Worker/War/War/Barracks/Chariotx6/Chariot(Whip)/Chariot/Settler

Declared on T51, took Mutal on T52 and razed Lamakha same turn.

Settler will be heading for the gold between Washington and Mutal.

Is math the right choice? I see a lot of trees, so it seems a good choice to maximize the benefits from said trees. The land is very green with lots of food resources, so I'm less worried about early pottery (can't see building more than 2 cities worth of cottages, rest will be farms/mines.

The only other avenue I was considering would be rushing to OR, to get that benefit rolling early and start spamming missionaries to Persia and Aztec, so they target Izzy and trade with me, rather than trading with Izzy and targetting me.

I'm thinking perhaps that I will go: math/masonry/myst/poly/mono, hoping to build the pyramids then switch to Rep and OR with the same 1-turn anarchy.

Any comments/critiques are much appreciated.

7. Riflin'Joe

Riflin'Joe Prince

I haven't played one of these games yet and Roosevelt is a leader I also haven't used , so I might give this a go at my usual monarch level.

8. CaF

CaF Warlord

Conquest 1460 AD on Emperor. My by far highest score and by far fastest finish time. Even though I screwed around like an idiot.

Spoiler :

Settled in place and took double gold / pig. Then chariot rushed Pacal who got a bit late to bronze working. Finished him off with horse archers.
    Spread some cities, then I somehow noticed that Izzy had chariots and archers and nothing else. So I vassaled her next. I had so many cities and so few workers that I panick and queued like 2 workers in every city that could get them reasonably fast plus I built the Hagia Sophia.
    After that I went for Darius and his wonders. Monte declared on him, Darius bribed JC into it. Perfect. 2 Turns later I declared. About 7 turns later he was mine. Some turns of healing and I took out monty as well in a 10 turn war. He didn't have longbows in 1200 AD.
    Then I declared on both other players and pushed both fronts. I overbuilt catapults against Caesar while I ran out of catapults against chicken pizza ram. Whatever. I steamrolled Ram and he capitulated 1 turn before Speedy Gonzales would show up.
    Both he and JC were somewhat close to rifles but they just got steamrolled by my massive production.

Some Screenies.

1 AD
    Spoiler :

1 AD war
    Spoiler :

Funny demand
    Spoiler :

overbuilding catas
    Spoiler :

my heroes
    Spoiler :

Spoiler :

my score
    Spoiler :

Attached Files:

9. Riflin'Joe

Riflin'Joe Prince

Well I was going to post my modest attempt at a Wonder Economy, but this is the sort of thing that makes me feel totally inadequate.

10. CaF

CaF Warlord

Well, that kind of stuff just takes longer. That's why the score tends to be lower. I don't play for the highscores, but in this game I had 6 soft targets. What can I do? :)

11. i_imperator

i_imperator Imperator

Sigining in emperor/normal. unfortunally i won't be able to play untill i get civ access on friday :(

12. gorf37

gorf37 Warlord

This is a start that just keeps getting better and better!

Spoiler :

So I carried-on with my plan from last post. Finish math then head to OR, planning to switch to OR/Rep simultaneously.

1000BC

The one change I made was to attack Izzy, since I wanted to use religion to ease the diplo situation, which would be more profitable to do using my own religion, and this way I would have to put up with her being pissed at me all game. I took barcelona quickly (like turn 54). Madrid turned out to be on a hill, so couldn't be taken with the damaged chariots I had. So I hooked-up the copper in Mutal and began spamming axes. Ended up staying at war with her throughout, and finished her on T91.

T91 End of Izzy

The OR/pyramids plan went basically as I imagined. The stone city will suck for a while, but made the pyramids build-time 12 turns in Washington. I'll have them in ~7 turns I believe. Ramses is in the game, so he may screw up my plans, but if so, no biggie, I'm currently researching MC, and between gold, religion and all my calendar resources (pretty sure I'll get 'em all), happiness is less of an issue, and considering how much land I stand to end up with, neither will tech-rate.

At this point I'm hoping to find that an AI (probably Darius) will have Alpha by the time MC is in. I'll grab Alpha from him and start backfilling, while teching currency and CoL. After that point there's little that I need. I have to put down 5 cities (at least) in the gap between myself and JC, and I could put 5-6 on the coast in the land I've blocked off. That'll have me at 15-18 cities, I'll beeline Cuirassiers, and go for a nice early Dom/Conq.

I put 100% of my EPs on Darius, since he'll probably have the best tech rate of the Jewish block (Monte/Ramses/Darius). His land also covers the penisula the forms the centre of the bowtie pangea, so if I get City visibility, I can keep an eye out for stacks incoming from monty and ramses. (Ram is in war prep mode, according to BUG, I could be his target, but I only converted to Hindu a little while back (when the road from Mutal to Washington and New York was completed), and Monte only just converted to Judaism, so he could've been Ram's target already right?

T91 World as we occupy it

T91 Diplomacy

13. Choeimok

Alright, of course I managed not to save my original game, so I started over. A different approach this time. Knowing that I have BFC horse and a close neighbor is totally not an unfair advantage. Hey, the AI has bonuses too, it's fair now.

Monarch/Normal, 375 AD
    Spoiler :

Took out Pacal early, even his single Holkan couldn't hold off my Chariot hordes. 2 cities (he settled Lakahma to the east this time, in a wonderful floodplains spot) and 3 workers for the price of 4 of 5 Chariots, yes please.
    Managed to block a huge chunk of land at the cost of almost chrashing my research, at least that gave me an excuse to build some more workers at the happycap while waiting for my cottages to grow.
    Attempted both Stonehenge and Oracle, missed SH by one turn and Oracle by two. Oh well, not like I can complain about basically building wealth with a higher efficiency.
    Some annoying misplaced barb cities spawned and forced me to build axes (Iron is in an awkward spot). Razed two so far, maybe will keep the one on my southern border, it's not good, but it does have dye and I#d rather have it myself then let JC grab it.
    So, after almost crashing y research early, I slowed down by expansion, and only now, with Currency and COL, started settling again. Unfortunately, since my planned GP Farm Seattle (Fish, Pig, Whales, Lake) is on the backside of my empire, it got settled just recently, the blockers had a higher priority for me. So I'm a bit behind in that aspect.
    So... I just refused a demand from heathen Monty who's far away and doesnt have OB with my Hindu buddies Darius (he completely blocks Monty off) and Izzy (also closer to Aztecia), BUT HE DID GO INTO WHEOORN, WTF. I'm at 0,8 his power right now, shouldnt be a problem if he does manage to get to me by whatever means.
    More bad news is that Ramesses is likely to get the AP, he is jewish, a religion I lack. Might have to take a city or two from JC if he does that. I'll just have to hope Izzy and Darius don't have Judaism either, a forced AP dogpile would suck a lot.
    So, tech...

I'm not leading, but considering I just barely avoided a strike not to long ago, I think I'm doing quite well. By the way, espionage says Darius will get MC in just one turn, so trading it for Calendar is not really going to work. Should I trade it for some of his gold and some relations
    though?
    Currently research is set to Feudalism, but it's just a placeholder. I might want to go for Construction instead, or maybe even something entirely different.

America at this point. Decent chunk of land I have secured there, if I can get JC out of the way some day it will be perfect for peaceful teching since everyone who hates me is blocked off by my friends. With the last open spots settled and Rome annexed (just not sure when the right time to strike would be... maybe I'll go for Phants+Cats, I will be three times as big as anyone else, and ORG. Will be fun times if I manage that. Together with some spies powered by my spammed courthouses and directed esp. against JC, the war should be a POC.

The capital. Currently at a small size because I forgot putting it back from the cottages to some food resources when Monarchy came in.

Mutal. Intended as a production city, but it will have to work on cottages until non-hill production improvements become worthwhile.

Lakamha, an awesome commerce location. Only drawback is the cultural battle with Madrid. Should I get a Great Artist (and not only for that reason the Aes tree looks delicious, I have both wonder boosters by now (so even if I don't get to Music first, I'm still likely to get Sinistine, unless Ramesses has Marble as well or someone gets hax in form of a GE. And even then I'll go for it anyway, TMIT's videos convinced me this thing can be insanely powerful even when not going for culture), he's very likely to go there to get me enough cpt to eventually get full control over my BFC.

NYC, another commerce paradise, maybe even better than Lakamha. Currently working those plainsriver cottages to slow down growth until I assemble enough happiness and get the forge earlier. But for some stupid reason I'm still working the damn rice instead of a FP cottage.

Boston, obviously a production city. Don't ask me why it's working the forest instead of one of the hills, I'll have to adjust that. Unfortunately Boston won't get a Levee, but I think that's worth the extra food from the Corn.

This one here only exists to block the lands north of Mutal off from Izzy. Not sure why it's not building a Lighthouse right now, maybe because I need some culture on the border. Or would it be better to work plains forests instead of coast?

Another blocker. And it's not even that bad, even with no seafood and some mountains.

Number three of the blockers. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING HERE, speeding up the granary by working the forests? Needs adjustion, I'd rather work the cottages and have the Granary 2 or 3 turns later.

The aforementioned intended GP farm in my backyard. Hard to see because for some reason there are no resource bubbles (I swear I played with them on, don't ask why now they aren't), but besides the Pig it also gets Whale and Fish. And it has Fresh Water from the lake, so it should do. Probably won't revolt into Caste before CS though, I prefer switching 2 civics at once.

My newest city. Really not sure what to do with this I'm pretty sure the -food of the plains tiles outweighs the +food of the corn. But with just one or two farms I should be fine, and there's enough fresh water around even if the city itself gets none. So... 2 more farms and cottage up the rest or go for production here?

General Plan: As I said, look what everyones favorite nutty sociopath is up to, and hit Rome rather sooner than later, he should have cleared up enough jungle by now. Even if he gets the ugliness that are longbows, he shouldn't be too tough. This Caesar is NOTHING compared to the two Caesars in NC Saladin. Then I'll just sit on my land advantage and can do what I want.

Oh, I also have a question or two
    Spoiler :

What is Darius' favorite civic again. I have the bad feeling it's FR... Would that outweigh the fact he's the founder of the largest block's religion, Hinduism? Also, in case it does... does he declare at pleased? I know Izzy and JC do, but Izzy should be up to friendly soon and JC is in another religion so he won't like me anyway.

14. Choeimok

Monarch/Normal, 1270 AD
    Spoiler :

Going quite well. Turned out Monty went after Darius, and he's having trouble conquering so far, after centuries he only has captured two cities. Darius vassalled to Izzy at some point, but never gifted her his techs. So, even if my plan to kill JC failed because the Ap was built in Judaism and I was the only civ without it at that time, I'm having enough land, and with Daris slowed down I'm easily getting a lead in tech now. Barely won Lib (took Nationalism, Taj is almost finished), now heading for the Democracy route. Spammed some Aesthetics line wonders, including Sinistine. I think I'll go for space, only have to watch out for JC he hates me because HE spammed cities on my border.
    What I'd criticize myself for would be GP production. Took me about 2000 years longer to get a GS (he was from Glib, and that's not even in my GP farm because that has lousy production) than it should have. It's just so easy to get distracted by other things.

15. DanielTorrence

DanielTorrence Warlord

That is my personal number one game so far, thanks for hosting. A great fun game and for me personally the earliest conquest victory ever.

Spoiler :

Started after looking at some other attempts, found especially CaF very inspiring. Build New York, teched AH and BW and started building chariots to rush Pacal. Came right before he could mine his copper, so 11 chariots were enough to take him out. With the help of some horse archers I finished him of, razed the last city since it had only pop 1. After that, I saw beautiful Barcelona with only one archer in it, so I declared on Izzy as well and took all her cities. After that, my economie was in pieces, loosing money with the slider turned off, but the early build cottages from New York and Washington matured and saved me. Since I dont like medivial war I decided to tech on.
    By 1000 AD I had a solid tech lead, was first to philosophie without bulbing and could enjoy the fast increasing number of BPT with the cottages becoming towns. Could build a lot of the stone/marble wonders as well (Sixtine, Chicken Pizza, Ancor, TGL, Paya and some more). Nobody else was even near Lib, so I decided to tech on (Nationalism in only six turns) and take democracy, which I did in 1300 AD. Started a GA with a Great Artist and switched to US, FS, Free religion and my towns just went crazy. Since my GA was extended due to MoM I was able to get to communism and switched to SP as my final set of civics. Build the Kremlin in 4 turns, after that it was just rushb buy of banking and then cavlry. With a SoD of like 45 cavlry, Monty was the first target and was out after loosing three cities including his capital. Ramses was next and then it was only JC left with Darius being his vassall. Meanwhile I had a second SoD of equal size, so I used the first one to finish Darius to avoid the vassallage mechanics (AI almost never cap if they have a vassall) and the second SoD took most of JCs cities.
    The early rush and enough cottages for the rushbuy was just a great thing and I could understand why land is power; never had such a return and BPT-rate before. It also helped that the others where at war with each other almost all the time, which kept them from teching well.

Attached Files:

16. BigTime

BigTime Prince

Immortal/normal to 25 AD

Spoiler :

Settled in place. Went AH (ooo horses)- TW- Mining- BW. Our land is pretty terrible and Pacal is fairly close so I settle on a chariot rush. Although he does have the holkan, the AI never does build many spears, and to stick to that he didn't build ANY until his last city.

After Mutal was taken, his other cities only had 1-2 defenders. His hill city to the south had 2 archers and a holkan, so I said screw it and leave him alone for now.

Used gold from city captures to beeline aesthetics and traded it around for alpha and lesser techs. Built research to currency and my economy is saved.

I'm just throwing cottages down like nothing, playing really lazy. I joined the hindu bloc of Darius, Izzy, and JC and joined in a fake war against Monty who everybody hates.

I really need some happiness resources, so after CoL I'm heading to calender. I'm also preparing a small stack to take out Pacal's last city before he peacevassals to get that annoying "We yearn to join our motherland" unhappiness away. I'm number 1 land, so with a decent tech lead I will probably win some sort of Military VC.

17. BigTime

BigTime Prince

Immortal/normal to Liberalism

Spoiler :

Just spammed cottages and continued teching. Pacal PAssaled to JC and Montezuma is this map's punching bag. Darius and Izzy both gotten to Friendly, Ram and JC to pleased. That's good enough to cruise to lib:

Beating out Darius. Here's how the tech board looks after post-lib trades:

I do not know if I will go the military route or try and win diplo by gifting Ram up, since I'm number 1 in pop. Me + JC + Izzy + Darius should be enough to win, I believe.

If not that, then I'm heading to the likes of communism, democracy, and AL to get some production going before I start the steamroller. ;)

18. BigTime

BigTime Prince

Immortal/normal to 1872 Domination

Spoiler :

Went to Democracy --> GA from a random Spy, and revolted to US/FS/Eman/SP/FR. End game civics. Then went straight for AL to industrialize, then to artillery. Picked up Kremlin along the way. After Artillery was reached, slider off. Rushbuy around 70 infantry/artillery and hit JC with PAssal Pacal.

I actually get Izzy to take Pacal's last city, while I take two of his and completely shred JC.

As you can see, Ramesses is going culture whore. I decided to prevent any shenanigans and go and take out his top two culture cities, plus some random border city.

And add him to my vassal collection.

Next up is Izzy, and I only have to take three cities before she folds:

All that's left is Monty and Darius, who have been warrring for god knows how long. So what do I do? Shuffle all my units over to Darius and cap him? Of course not!

:lol: Nukes are so fun. Every one of his cities got double nuked. I'm 2% shy for Dom, but with border pops I think I will make it. But, just for fun, let's nuke one of the most hated AIs in the game... 20 times... :crazyeye:

But the turn after that, I win dom :p

Just look at the Kremlin:

The speed at which military can be raised is INCREDIBLE. Towards the end, I didn't even need to rushbuy with the amount of raw hammers I was getting from the factories and coal plants. Health hurt a little, but they are still amazing.

K/D/R:

Decent score for a later finish. I think the key to winning this game, at least for me, was rushing Pacal off early. That allowed me to get a good chunk of land to tech and expand on, and let me run away towards the end with my land lead. Although he has the holkan, chariots can come about quickly enough where it doesn't matter. I imagine that on a Monarch or Emperor game rushing would be even MORE effective.

A little nugget to show just how crazy Monty is, I nuked him 20 times, and he's not even willing to talk,

I'm pretty sure I'd want to talk if every one of my cities was nuked...

19. Choeimok

Monarch Normal, 1880 AD, Diplo (2 or 3 turns before I would have won space)
    Spoiler :

As seen here. It was me vs Monty, all it took was Izzy and my Vassal JC (he attacked me with medieval units one turn before I got AL :D)

The SP part was a bit of a :smoke:-move, I should have done that as soon as I built Cristo, I didn't exactly have many Workshops and Watermills, but no Corporations either, so...

Endgame Demographics.

Mutal was an awesome production city, even with the one Town it still had, I failed to notice that until maybe 2 turns before I won

Statistics. As seen, JC had to find out fortified longbows don't do well against hastily built, scattered Infantry.

Average score.

One last my of my version of America, a lot more peaceful than most in this thread. I just can't war effectively until at least the Renaissance on Normal, and didn't want the hassle of building more units when space was so close with my, for my standards, fast tech pace - and then went for Diplo to shave off two turns :mischief:

Pretty easy game overall, WAY easier than NC Saladin on Prince was.

20. CaF

CaF Warlord

@choeimok:
    Darius doesn't declared at pleased and can be bribed on you at annoyed and worse if the other guy is pleased or better with him. He likes free religion and usually switches to it once he gets to or builds Paya.

And that Saladin game was just a huge pain to play. There was like not a single reasonable city spot.