1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Monarch Student^ XXXII Gandhi

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by BigTime, Mar 7, 2011.

1. BigTime

BigTime Prince

First of all, since the upload attachment option is not working, I uploaded the zip file to file factory. Click the hyperlink at the bottom of the page too be taken to the website. Click download now, wait around 30 secs and it will download once you hit download at the bottom of the page. Sorry for the inconvenience, I will change it back to the regular format when CFC is working again.

Anywho, welcome to the 32nd edition of Monarch Student Prime! Our fearless leader this week?

A deceitful unit-spamming... oh wait it's Gandhi! Yes, one of the most peaceful AIs in the game, he is usually either a tech monster or bent over at the hands of Shaka or Monty. In the human's hands? A darn good leader. Philosophical allows for nice GP farming and early scientist, and spiritual is great diplo-wise as well as can be manipulated well to have a stronger economy. Solid leader.

His UU is the Fast Worker:

One of only two UUs that does not obsolete (America's Navy Seal being the other), the fast worker is rated by many to be a top tier UU. It has three movement points instead of the regular two, meaning cities can be set up quicker and they are much more mobile around your empire. I love it, one of my favorites.

His UB is the Mausoleum:

A Jail replacement that also provides some happiness. It's quite nice, as it really helps with War Weariness. Gandhi is a surprisingly good warmonger in the human's hands, and a jail that provides happiness really snergizes well with it.

The Start:

:( Oh noes the cow glitch! Don't worry there is another food resource in the BFC ;)
    Fairly solid start with a nice ivory tile have a nice early happy cap boost.

Huts and Events are OFF, add events in the custom scenario if you wish. (just make sure to cover the top part with your hand so you don't see the AIs )

And a cut-and-paste from Meatbuster's Monarch Student games:

Save the file and place it in your Documents/BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Then unzip it into your Documents/BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Then use Playing a scenario to play your desired level. Or use custom scenario if you want to remove huts and/or events.

Recommended Checkpoints:
    *1000BC or 1AD
    *500AD
    *1000AD or Liberalism
    *Victory!

Please remember to put the journals of your adventures inside spoiler tags.

For Monarch+ players please try to add archery back to the barbs in WB. If you don't, AIs will capture cities with archers very early in the game, which is no fun. If you prefer easymode barbs, that's fine too, just don't go wondering why an AI captured a barb city in the very early BCs!

Thanks go to TMIT for making an excellent map creation guide and to mjg5591 for getting this series back on track!

File Factory Save:

Gandhi Zip Files

Attached Files:

2. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

I'm relieved to hear that there's another food in there. Damn that cow glitch.

I'll probably play this, but I started Pericles yesterday after I finished Shaka. :rolleyes:

3. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Well I blew this one. I left on a certain super AI I was playing around with, and he turned up in this game. While this might seem disadvantageous, I was able to smack said super AI around a little and since it trades techs no matter what, still trade after. Totally broken (although it had a good chance of killing me first it didn't, and then I spanked it w/ my own troops).

4. Capellan

Capellan Is this thing on?

How do I do this?

5. BigTime

BigTime Prince

1. Zoom in all the way.
    2. Go to the menu, enter worldbuilder.
    3. Hit Technologies
    4. Go to the civ selection on the right and go down to barbarians at the bottom. Try not to see the other civs if possible.
    5. Find archery and click it in the tech screen.
    6. Exit worldbuilder.

6. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

^^^^I just use my hand to shield the drop down list and the slowly creep my hand up so that I see only Barbs at the bottom and select it. Also, try avoid looking at the mini-map - not hard to do by just averting your eyes.

7. BigTime

BigTime Prince

:lol: I think I told you that a while ago didn't I?

8. BigTime

BigTime Prince

I won, by the skin of my teeth.

1 AD

Spoiler :

In place, capital kinda sucks. Surrounding land is not that pretty either. Commerce sucked, played really crappy.

HENGE IN 1240 BC?? Come on AIs...

Williem is teching like mad, but with no cities. Joao is a fast techer as well, and expanded like crazy. Fun stuff. Already thinking music for culture cop out.

Liberalism

Spoiler :

Got roped into some BS when AP called war against Toku, and of course he went after me. I managed to buy out though before his stack came.

Did I win Lib, of course not!

But by then I had stopped caring. I got Sistine and was already spamming temples and missionaries for 50% multipliers. DP with Joao prevented any wars really and just left me there to hit end turn.

1916 Culture

Spoiler :

Got up three 50% multipliers in each of my culture cities. Seeing the other continent pissed me off, with Hammurabi having 25% of the pop and land, as well as Sitting Bull having a big chunk. Why give a bigger continent less AIs??? Why game, why?

Anyway, just got FS and powered up the culture slider. Artist farming sucked b/c I also picked up GL on my way to Music, spitting out quite a few scientists which did not help me cause. My finish date could have been in the 1800s if not for those scientists.

Hammurabi was running away at the end, as you can see:

But, by then my #3 city was less than 10 turns to legendary, so...

HAHA. IN YO FACE RUNAWAY AI.

Three cities:

Really sloppy play by me, and shown in the finish date and in the culture management, with the capital going over the culture limit by quite a few turns. Anyway, a win is a win, and I'll try to play the next game more seriously to actually teach some lower level players some things.

9. Capellan

Capellan Is this thing on?

Ah. I was looking in the WBS file to see if I could just text edit it, but I couldn't locate the barbarian info.

10. feces42

feces42 Chieftain

Oops.

Spoiler :
    Well, I steamrolled over Joao after he attacked me, capped Toku, and so far am dominating. I thought to myself, "wow, this is the easiest monarch game I have ever played." Check settings... Noble. :crazyeye:

11. Vaidd

Vaidd Worker

I'm glad I'm not the only person who does this. :lol:

12. Taran'li Maren

Taran'li Maren Chieftain

Can any of you see a shadow of the landscape in the fog of the start screenshot, or am I just going crazy?

13. ston

ston Warlord

I too should have gone to specsavers :sad:

Got a late-ish Sapce victory in the end, q. a long game due to various wars, got to the 'HOF' screen and...omg it was on Noble :cry:

tbh, I don't know if I'd have beaten that map on Monarch. I have a question in the spoilers about one of the AI.

Spoiler :

Just a question about Joao. Is he completely certifiable? He seems to be ten times more bonkers than Monty and Shaka combined. I'm thinking "Joker, from Batman" crazy.

He was at +4 diplo with me, OBs, same religion, good trades and at -2 diplo with Toku. So, he declares...on me. I shrug off his attack (most annoyingly 'cos I had to whip up a bunch of defenders), get peace and he's instantly back at pleased again :crazyeye:

Anyway, in my noble-level playthrough, I was happily building wonders like they were going out of fashion when Joao started. After that, I vassaled my continent then was going for a double-whammy of conquest and space. Got a surprise diplo in the end as nukes really reduce the voting population of your opponents.

A somewhat hollow victory though, due to the level I played it at.

14. BigTime

BigTime Prince

@ ston

Spoiler :

I've always found Joao to be more of a tree hugger. He doesn't declare at pleased, so he must have been at cautious when he began to plot at you, and he usually is just a fast techer. Nevertheless, he is one of the best AIs because he expands like crazy and techs up a storm. Not really a good warmonger though, because he doesn't declare at pleased.

15. Vaidd

Vaidd Worker

Monarch/Normal to 125 BC. I haven't messed around with posting images before. If the auto-resize makes things too small, let me know and I'll switch to full-size in future posts.

We'll get to the report, but first things first.

Spoiler :

Good, I remembered to change the difficulty...this time. :rolleyes:

Spoiler :

I moved the warrior 1SE, since the hill would actually let me see back into my BFC a little bit. I saw the rice and decided to SIP. I built worker-> warrior x2 -> Settler to start.
    My starting warrior died between turns 7 and 8. :mad: The jaguar had 3.6% odds. I queued an extra warrior in the capital because I had a feeling it was going to be one of those games.

The land, at least what I can see of it, isn't all that great. Desert to the west, jungle to the south, and ocean northeast. Most of my expansion has been along the coast, including this gem of a city:

Spoiler :

Notice anything wrong? How about two things? How about the complete inability to improve anything worthwhile without ironworking? Oh, and how about that barb archer bearing down on it?

Spoiler :

Yep, one of those games. I haven't bothered resettling it yet.

My city to the northwest didn't have anything else worthwhile to build, but it did have a ton of trees, so I built the Great Wooden Pyramids, finishing on turn 108.

Spoiler :

Once I remembered that I could revolt to Rep for free, I did so.

Along the way, my southeastern city had been running scientists, and my first GS bulbed Math. My second GS will come in the next turn. I'll use him to bulb Philo.

I met Toku early, followed by Joooaoaoaoao and Willem later. All three are playing to type: Joao is spamming cities, Willem is happily trading me techs, and Toku has mommy issues.

Here's how my empire is currently laid out, with some dotmaps of future city sites.

West
    Spoiler :

East
    Spoiler :

And here is the tech and diplo situation.
    Spoiler :

I think I'm still in an OK situation, despite the setback with Pataliputra. The city wouldn't have contributed much in :commerce: or :hammers: until IW anyway. I'll resettle it shortly, at which point it should be a pretty good production city.

16. ston

ston Warlord

@ BigTime:

Spoiler :

Aye, maybe he was cautious when he began plotting...I can't remember exactly now tbh! :)

He was pretty backwards tech-wise in my game but did expand q. well. Willem was teching like mad as usual but had no cities. Toku had locked himself in the bathroom and wouldn't come out...again... :rolleyes: :D

17. FlyingSwan

FlyingSwan King

Emporer/normal-1AD

Spoiler :
    A tricky start I thought.On the plus side there was a lot of land to expand into,but on the downside its not that good-lots of deserts,average resources etc.

I settled the marble city first with the intention of building a cheap Oracle-which I completed late and took CoL.I had to rely on Great people to keep my economy and tech pace going.I also delayed settling citys so I didnt crash my economy too soon before I had writing.

The 3 civs Ive met are all now Confucian,even Tokus at pleased with me.Ive built 6 citys,and It looks as though I can peacefully get 8.Six turns off the Mids so fingers crossed I get them-early Rep on this map feels important as the land I have is so poor.

Im thinking Diplo vic,maybe..,but getting a big enough population is going to be a challenge.

1000AD

Spoiler :
    Tokus switched to Christianity,Ive built AP but as feared I didnt have enough Population to win the 1st vote.I think Im going to try and get Toku to switch back to Confucianism by spamming Missionarys.

Education teched,and Lib to within 1 turn.Without knowing what the other unmet civs tech rate is I guess Il take Nationalism or astromony with Lib as soon as I can.Mids,Glibrary and Parthenon built,UoS on the way.Feels like this game is going to be close or maybe a loss.

1931AD

Spoiler :
    Loss.Harumbai got space victory,I was 10 turns behind him because of spys sabotaging my completed spaceship parts.
    When I got to the next continent Harumbai had 23 citys!I tried my best with a diplo vic with the AP and then the UN to no avail.So then I beelined computers and built the internet to keep tech parity which worked realy well,and I founded Mining Inc and Aluminium Inc to boost production on the spaceship.
    I think my mistake was to put zero effort into counter espionage,by the time I got round to sending subs with spys to sabotage Harumbais spaceship I was already too late.

18. Vaidd

Vaidd Worker

Abandoned ca. AD 1300

Spoiler :
    I got blocked in by Toku on the East and couldn't get enough decent cities to do anything. I tried going culture, but it quickly became apparent that would be painfully slow. Maybe I could do it, but I don't feel like waiting around forever to try.

The one poor decision with the city (see screenshots in my first post) and a little bit of bad luck probably cost me this game.

19. ChampBeastly

ChampBeastly Chieftain

Only one screenshot, but..

Spoiler :
    I used a technique I learned from watching AbsoluteZero on youtube and performed an Oracle slingshot into Construction after bulbing Math. I settled my second city a bit to the east and began churning out Elephants and Catapults.

AD50:
    Spoiler :

After meeting Jaio, Willem, and Toku, I decided I would make Toku's time on this particular Earth as short as possible. My war was a major success, although I should have accepted capitulation rather than obliterating him (which I did), as I am now in dire financial straits and my tech rate is low. However, it's currently around 720AD and I am pleased with both Jaio and Willem and have plenty of land, but Jaio has managed to settle between Delhi and the land I took from Toku, so I may turn the troops on him if need be.

At this point I plan on continue down the war path and make use of Gandhi's jail, which I have never used before. I will try to update if I remember.

Spoiler :

Any advice or tips would be much appreciated, I have never won a game on Monarchy but it's usually because I get bored in the modern era and start over. :)

edit: Realized I could reload old games and add pics

20. ahcos

ahcos King

You call that crappy land? Oh wow :D I should hand over my last ghandi game, THAT was crappy land. And isolated. And Runaway Ragnar with 2 vassals. Yay. Whatever, just farm everything and smack an AI with phants, should be NP. Ghandi is perfect for post-war recovery, just love him... might be my favourite leader recently, has everything to kill people effectivly :) And as i love high-prod-caps, i might give this a go... OTOH i already took a short peek into one screenshot, but apart from mass plains i can't recall anything. The land didn't look too bad from what i can remember, though.