1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Monarch Wonders

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by SinisterDeath, Jan 25, 2004.

1. SinisterDeath

SinisterDeath Pure Quality

Just wondering what the best wonders are to have on Monarch. I like to play the Ottomans cause of their GA when the sipahi comes around, that's when the slaughter beings !!! So, please keep in mind who I like to use, I'm also partial to the egyptians and persians. This is going to be my first attempt at a monarch game, so I need to know what GW are the best to have, assume Pangaea.

2. Gainy

Gainy Guest

Don't build any. Though if you get a GL, go for the Statue of Zeus, Sun Tzu's Art of war, The Pyramids, or the Knight's Templar.

Building wonders is too time consuming...

Edit: That's assuming you have C3C, if not, just go for Sun Tzu's, or the Pyramids

3. DS_Legionary

DS_Legionary Chieftain

I will almost never build any Ancient Age wonders. Unless I get lucky with an SGL, I stay away from them. But, from the Middle Ages onward i try to get at least a few wonders. Such as Sun Tzu's, Leos, and Smith's.

4. CIVPhilzilla

CIVPhilzilla Reagan Republican

Dont bother building wonders. Just use the sheilds you would of spent building wonders to make military units to capture those wonders. However, some wonders are too good to pass up. For ex. Coperacorns Observatory and Newtons in the same city, and the industrial age wonders are very useful to.

5. Trev

Trev Chieftain

Wonders are too time consuming in the early game, but Theory of Evolution is very important in gaining a tech lead, so I always aim for that, any before that is a bonus that I willusually build only if I am sure I can complete it first before the AI's. But Sun Tzu's and Leonardos are very good if you can get them, and Bachs or Sistine Chapel. If you build Theory of Evolution, it is normal then to build all subsequent wonders, the lead you get with that means you can always beat the AI to all future wonders without exception(except one game where I had no river in my territory or even in a conquerable location, so I could not build Hoovers)

6. SinisterDeath

What about the Pyramids? I play Pangaea, is that not worth building? It gives me granaries in every city that I own, which I think is a huge advantage.

7. nullspace

nullspace Chieftain

Yeah, I think the Pyramids can be worth it. The boost to growth really helps new cities grow quickly. The main problem is that it takes a whole lot of shields, so only try to build it if you have an extremely productive city.

The Great Library might work well for your strategy, too. Build it and turn off research so you can stockpile gold. Build horsemen and knights when you can. Then when you get military tradition (you'll have to do some research up that path) upgrade the horses and knights to Sipahi with your loads of gold.

The Colossus is cool too, if you have a good coastal town. It gives a lot of trade when the city gets big, and it lasts until flight.

8. Gainy

Gainy Guest

:rolleyes:

9. Ribannah

Ribannah Fighter Druid

On most maps it is absolutely worth building.
    Monarch level means that the AI won't have enough units to give you a good shot at getting an early Great Leader, while at the same time you will about always beat the AI to building The Pyramids by hand.

The Great Library, on the other hand, is hardly worth the effort. You will be able to get all the techs by playing tech broker easy enough, and in fact most of the time you need to discover Education yourself because you want those Universities, and Astronomy for trade opportunities, and ... and ... and the AI is simply too slow. :)

10. SinisterDeath

Any other wonders that you guys think really kick ass and why? Do any of you guys use the Turks? I love the Sipahi, it's smashes anything in it's path. I like to save up 30 of them, and then smoke anything in my path. If the AI is behind in techs or the same level as you, they don't stand a chance. Make a beeline for their capital, move in your riflemen or musketmen to fortify, heal your units, and take the next city. I've taken out 10 cities in 15 turns before with this method, and that includes the size 10-12 ones.

11. Shabbaman

Shabbaman rebuffing the rebels

Besides those earlier mentioned, I like the sixtine chapel, and bach's cathedral. I always try to get one of these, since it keeps up citizens mood. In the industrial era, the pathway of Theory of Evolution and Hoover Dam is almost a sure win.

:rolleyes:

12. ArielUK

ArielUK Chieftain

Statue of Zeus and Knights Templar turned out useful in my current monarch game when all the available territory I had easy access to turned out not to contain any iron. Without the Ancient Cavalry and Knights Templer they both churned out, I would have been invaded by the Medieval Infantry and Pikemen-wielding Mongols and wiped off the map...

13. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Bell Ringer

I like Smith's Trading Company later on. Any way to save money on maintenance costs is a plus for me!

I always try to go for the Statue of Zeus and the Knights Templar. Getting free, powerful guys is a real benefit. I will send a settler all the way across the continent at the beginning of a game, after I've got my first city built at least, to grab some ivory.

14. ArielUK

ArielUK Chieftain

Actually, having thought about it some more, Ireckon that the Temple of Artemis is something of a good 'un as well.

With each new city you place automatically gaining a temple, this not only keeps the citizens happy and reduces upkeep expenditure, but provides you with both a culture buffer (to prevent border towns defecting if you place them close to a larger neighbouring Civ's settlement. It also gives you a border expansion within 5 turns of placing the city (unless you're right up against another civ's border), which gives you more leeway in terms of optimal city placement.

And finally, you're free to build either new units or a city wall (if you're in the middle of a border war for instance) without worrying so much about seeing that huge garrison you sent it to defend it defect as soon as they're all in place...

...which is nice.

15. cableguy

cableguy Chieftain

ok im confused, statue of zeus? knights templar? Huh????

16. Zingo

Zingo Beer

New wonders in Civ Conquests, Statues of zeus spawns a ancient cavalery every 5 turns (3.2.2), knights templar spawns crusaders every 5 turns (5.3.1). Quite powerful units which used in the right way can be a gamebreaker (IMO).

17. cableguy

cableguy Chieftain