Monarchy or Republic?

Monarchy or Republic?

• Total voters

Wotan

Deity
OK we seem to have support within our ranks for both governments so maybe we should try to move the discussion to a separate thread. So first of all what government should we adopt and then why?

I voted Republic. We seem to have a strong economy soon and a Republic helps there further.

voted republic. wars will be a good bit off even if we try for a MW war with a neighbor. the extra :commerce: will offset WW more so than the MPs will offset corruption

Republic.

MW's are fantastic for conducting war, and i should know from the last MTDG:lol:

A well planned surprise attack from mutiple directions will win a war before news gets back to our people there was one:D

Republic, I believe the gold gain will be enough to overcome the military cost and eventual WW.

seems to be pretty unanimous here...let's go for that then, you people should know

Can a Republic handle the number of galleys, MW and follow on troops we need to conduct a quick war?

I seriously don't know the equations that figures all of this, but unless we can make nice with another civ and agree to some lux trades, between war weariness and troop maintinence I don't know that Republic will work.

And if we decide to switch to Monarchy before the war but after we meet people, the element of surprise is gone - they'll know why.

I think that if we are committed to war, Monarchy now before we meet people would be the way to go. Let's face it, luxury trades for a Monarchy are not a necessity. A third party could hold us over a barrell if we are a Republic going to war and get some pretty hefty demands for their lux.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Republic, I just don't think we can go to war with galley's in a Republic. Not that we came up with specific plans, but last we talked it was about a dozen galleys with 24 troops plus MP's and follow on forces. That seems like a tall order.

I guess I'll vote Monrarchy unless I can be demonstrated (as oppossed to assumed) an idiot on this point.

well Monarchy will send a message to EVERYONE that we are intending to be hostile. REpublic will at least give us a little surprise.

I suspect that everyone else will be going republic too especially since every team in teh last game had success with it. Republic just means that we'll have to use our units and not lose many.

Can a Republic handle the number of galleys, MW and follow on troops we need to conduct a quick war?

I seriously don't know the equations that figures all of this, but unless we can make nice with another civ and agree to some lux trades, between war weariness and troop maintinence I don't know that Republic will work.

I guess I'll vote Monrarchy unless I can be demonstrated (as oppossed to assumed) an idiot on this point.

Aw, you're no idiot, Booti. The only thing is, with few luxes until we can conquer or trade for some, we'd need to tie up troops as MPs. I don't know the equations either, but if we need two MPs per city, that's a LOT of troops doing nothing, and I'd seriously doubt we could conquer as speedily as seems normal in an AW game. My vote for Republic might change if someone could crunch the numbers to show a savings. I wasn't a terribly informed voter.

The numbers will warrant changing if we manage to put up a military that is as much over the support limit as our total working population (assuming all are working roaded tiles, which is not such a stretch when talking about an isolated island PBEM led by Wotan). That's going to be a couple hundred men over the limit. When we hit a 300 guys military force without any conquest, we'll go over this again.

Interesting. Well here's the upside. If we conquer one civ we'll have 4 luxs and we will not be caught with our ag/com combo in republic.

We really, really need to be on our toes diplomatically to make friends because we'll have an enemy soon is my guess.

Will Saber be the one? Knocking out Chamnix early has a nice ring to it. Keeping Donsig around till the end as well. :satan:

Interesting. Well here's the upside. If we conquer one civ we'll have 4 luxs and we will not be caught with our ag/com combo in republic.

We really, really need to be on our toes diplomatically to make friends because we'll have an enemy soon is my guess.

Will Saber be the one? Knocking out Chamnix early has a nice ring to it. Keeping Donsig around till the end as well. :satan:

The other thing is if Saber haven't met anyone else when we crush them, then no one would know who it was, for a while anyway:)

The other thing is that even if we have to reduce the research during the war to cover unit costs or unhappiness the fact is we did get a free tech from philo so we wont be falling behind and once the conquest is complete we will overtake everyone again anyway

OK I just want everyone to be aware that WW is real in MP. We should be prepared to eliminate any foe we encounter whether on offense or defense.

OK I just want everyone to be aware that WW is real in MP. We should be prepared to eliminate any foe we encounter whether on offense or defense.

Good reminder *cough* we should *cough hmmm* remember that in our *cough hmmmonarchy cough* in our plans. :mischief:

Thanks Simon. You Brits wear Monarchy well, I was waiting for the support :D

Top Bottom