Monasteries

The Snug

The Civ Heretic
Another much-maligned feature of civ4, but I love 'em.

The past few games I've built 5 monasteries in my bureaucratic capital and added the Great Library and Parthenon and run Representation. Later adding Oxford when I can. Wow. That's powerful, I've found myself researching everything else but SciMeth, putting it off as far as possible. I've found that I cruise past the other AI's, and when I go as far as I can, it's a simple matter to trade for SciMeth and the few subsequent techs unlocked to me. I maintain an overall lead, and at the same time rack up quite a bank.

It's such a disappointment when I finally have to take scimeth bcz I take such a significant hit.

Monasteries are great.

Its not usually easy to get 5 religions in a city though. On harder difficulty levels you can't found all the religions.

Yer lucky to get One or Two religions at Monarch and above. At the crazy difficulties - I imagine you sometimes need to cross your fingers for an AI's religion to spread to you :)

I hate that Scientific Method disables building new monasteries. I end up putting it off for a while as well, often hoping that I can get an AI's religion to spread before that, so that I'll be able to produce my own missionaries for it. I generally prefer running Free Religion, so I want as many as I can get (not to mention being able to build more temples for further increased happiness).

I'm finding that putting off Scientific Method for too long can bite me in the behind, though. Even when I end up with an overall tech lead, I find myself losing out on getting the Rock and Roll, Broadway, and Hollywood wonders (which give you some great trading resources, as well as the happiness).

I wish there was an easier way to produce missionaries, post-Scientific Method tech (I hate switching around my Civic/Religion to do it).

I edited the game to never make monestaries obsolete.
I can imagine why they should go obsolete, but i like building them so much as well as well as spread religion late game (without having to switch to organized religion) i changed it.

If you want i can send you the xml file.

I edited the game to never make monestaries obsolete.
I can imagine why they should go obsolete, but i like building them so much as well as well as spread religion late game (without having to switch to organized religion) i changed it.

Monasteries retain the ability to build missionaries w/o org rel even after SciMeth, provided monastery was build before reaching the tech.

i played a game on monarch once.... i was going for a cultural victory (my first ever) and for some reason the AI were inclined to spread 4 religions into my cities, which already had one religion.
this helped very greatly.

I hate losing the SM and UoS bonuses from monastaries.

If they have monasteries in the game, there should also be nunneries. Shows how sexist Firaxis is.

No. Shows how sexist MANKIND was over the course of history. Many religions did have monasteries, but not nunneries. And nunneries were rarely the centres of learning that many monasteries were, simply because it was not expected of women to become highly educated, even if they were nuns (though there are always exceptions, of course, like Hildegard von Bingen).

Unless you were just joking (oh please, don't let me answer seriously to a joke again! :lol: ), I can see your point, I guess. Sexism in games is bad. However, I would say that depicting (alternative) history in a way which makes it look less sexist is also dangerous. It's like a medieval novel in which every Christian likes and respects Jews - sure, gives you a better feeling, sets a good example, etc.. But in a way, it is ignoring the suffering of millions over the centuries.

Well if Buffalo is serious...
Theres only one of the religions that would even qualify for a "nunnery"
And not like the Monastery in civ states "men" only.
Theres also no Deacon, Minister, Evangelist or Altar"Boy" Buildings either.

Theres the:
Temple -> Citizens go to Worship.
Monastery -> Where the "priests" study/live.
Cathedral -> Where the Pope hoards the tithes the Religion collects :)

Those three represent a game mechanic and an actuality in history.

If a building can't be realistically portrayed by all the religions, it doesn't represent a logical game mechanic. And I quite think there are enough - if not too many - religious buildings already.

How about creating a building available with SciMeth that allows building missionaries but doesn't provide a science boost.

How about creating a building available with SciMeth that allows building missionaries but doesn't provide a science boost.

Is there really any point in building missionaries after scientific method?

Yes. Money, happiness, dilpomacy, AP votes/production.

Something like that would be nice. I think it'd be fine if it just obsoleted the science boost of all Monasteries, but allowed you to still build them.

Is there really any point in building missionaries after scientific method?
Yes. It allows you to build more missionaries in more places (especially if an AI's religion spreads to your empire around the time of Scientific Method being discovered). Using those missionaries to spread religion(s) means you can:
1) Build more churches to increase happiness.
2) Build more cathedrals (since you're able to build more churches).
3) Get more votes for the Apostolic Palace.
4) Increased happiness if you're running Free Religion (and I pretty much always do). This happiness "stacks" with that of more churches as well.

Something like that would be nice. I think it'd be fine if it just obsoleted the science boost of all Monasteries, but allowed you to still build them.

Yes. It allows you to build more missionaries in more places (especially if an AI's religion spreads to your empire around the time of Scientific Method being discovered). Using those missionaries to spread religion(s) means you can:
1) Build more churches to increase happiness.
2) Build more cathedrals (since you're able to build more churches).
3) Get more votes for the Apostolic Palace.
4) Increased happiness if you're running Free Religion (and I pretty much always do). This happiness "stacks" with that of more churches as well.

5) If the religion is founded by you more money in holy city.

----------------
Now playing: Bruce Springsteen - Streets Of Philadelphia
via FoxyTunes

Top Bottom