Money problems

alextarg

Chieftain
I have 6 cities, comercial hubs in 5 of them with banks and trade routes almost everywhere. I'm not at war with anyone. My infrastructures cost 30 coins per turn, units 20 and I barely have 5 coins left eatch turn. I'm also in the renaissance era for info. Is it normal?

In my other cities for an exchange of some money for production. Its also epic speed.

So you're essentially generating no gold from trade routes. That's a very rational choice, but the price is a sagging economy.

Use the civic card to reduce unit maintenance by 1g per unit. Trade externally not internally. Commerce cities should be coastal for longer trade routes.

Keep trading internally, actually, just use an econ/wild slot for the +x gold on trade routes. Should take care of it.

I only ever trade internally, and still usually have 200+g a turn.
Instead just try and get 6 envoys into each commercial CS. Use all policies that reduce maintenance cost for units, and the one that gives you 4G1F per trade route. Then later on get the one that gives you a gold for each envoy you have. Once you have yourself a modern government get yourself the 100% commercial hub bonuses etc.

No need to waste sending your trade routes externally. Helps having the policy for 2 generation points to envoys, so you have a lot when you get the gold per envoy one. If you're really struggling with envoys, then sacrifice a trade route by sending to one that has a quest for a trade route.

I only ever trade internally. I find the 6-10 food and 2-5 gold, and 2-6 hammers much more worthwhile and enough

How big is your military? There is a Policy that reduces it by 1 per unit at that stage in the game. You should also be close the the Policy that gives +4 gold per trade route; yes, even internal ones!

gold is converted to production by ratio of 4:1 (on average)
so if theres a 15 gold trade route its roughly equals 4 production, not to say gold is much more flexible
in most situations theres a 4+ production route available though
i build commercial districts alot, markets and banks can pay for your empire's maintenance and more than that, with +100% gold from buildings card
i find trade route cards being quite underwhelming..

I also only trade internally, and always use one of those trade route policy cards. In Renaissance I believe Triangular Trade should be available, which adds +4 gold on every trade route. Obviously foreign trade routes will be more profitable, but internal trade routes plus that policy card is usually enough while vastly enhancing your domestic infrastructure growth. I do try to keep one or two traders on the more profitable foreign trade routes, though.

There are some policy cards that can bump up your gold with like 20/30/40. Like 2 less maintainance, or +4 gold per traderoute. 2 of them can give you enough room to do what you want. At least in my last emperor game.

I use the +2gold from trade route card and I definetly use the -1gold per unit card all the time.
For the city states, I've 5 of them encounter in my game for now but none of them is a comercial city state.
I didn't see the card that gives +4gold per trade route yet. That would certainly help.
For my army size. It is not big not small I would say, just enough to keep my borders safe. I don't understank how the romans could keep an army as big as I have with only 3 cities (I took rome in a suprise war they declared on me when we were best friend). They got legions everywhere along my borders with 3 cheap cities. I play normal difficulty by the way.
I wanted a bit more troops to attack the romans and since there is only 2 niters on my continent and it is way down south inside the vikings territory soo i'm sticked with pikeman and cavalier (can't get rifflemans) and this is another problem but i read on other treads that this is normal.
One other thing, as I said in my first post, i do 3 to 5 gold per turn right now with every policy cards that could help and buildings, comercial hubs in every cities, internal trade routes everywhere.. and barely do 5 gold. And this is when not at war, because at war, it's -10 gold per turn automatically. Can't figure out all of it why but ammenities go down, people get mad etc etc. Anybody else strugling with money or it's just me?

It's probably easier to diagnose if you look at your View Report screen. It gives you a breakdown of where your money is really spent. Or upload a save so we can have a look. In general you shouldn't have a problem with money according to what you describe.

I seem to trade with only one foreign city. Does everybody else see the same thing I am seeing?
I have a lot of traders, and when I pick the route, its always the same city that has the most of everything, so all my traders go to one city.

Top Bottom