Money Question

Ronin228

Chieftain
I think I made a mistake, but I should be able to recover from this. I'm playing Prince level with Aztecs. As soon as I was able to build Jaguars I wiped out Egypt and Incas and took most of their cities. Near the end of this battle my gold reserves were depleted, my science was at 10% and I'm not earning any new money. The other Civs seem to be scared of me and gave me some free techs when I told them too, but soon I'll be behind in science. I'm cottage spamming now, but I don't think I'm going to make enough money to escape this crises. Any good money making tips? I've got about 10 workers because I didn't have the techs to build any good buildings. My victory conditions are conquest and domination.

If it can be done, it will be done with courthouses and currency.

The "exploit" won't work until you have currency (also a good money-maker), and won't be fully effective unless you have Calendar as well (you need to have plenty of stuff to sell).

But yes, Code of Laws is a must[/i]. It is the singly most valuable technology for a newly large empire. Once you have your basic military techs done, your entire focus during your campaign should be to fund research for CoL. A 120-hammer building that can save you 5 gold/turn in your farthest cities is a truly marvelous thing, and second capitol in the heart of your conquests is priceless (ok, 200 hammers and 6 courthouses...).

In addition to the excellent advice above, some other ways you can save/make money at this point:

• Pillage improvements in neutral territory. A desperate measure, but it works.
  • Make sure your military units are back within your own cultural borders. Units cost money, and more of it if they're in neutral or enemy territory.
  • Delete any unnecessary military units. If you still have your original, unpromoted Warrior in your capital along with an Axe and/or Archer, get rid of him. Cast an appraising eye on any unpromoted unit.
  • Also, focus your forces in your border cities. Your central, core, non-coastal cities can be lightly defended. This may also allow you to reduce the number of units you have.
  • With your units back within your borders, barb cities are likely to appear. Leave them for a few turns; when they're at pop 2 or 3, use your veteran units to go raze them. Prior to that, their capture may not yeild enough gold to make the additional maintenance cost of your foraying units worthwhile.
  • After CoL, get Currency. If you have any spare resources, trade them with your neighbours--but for gold, not for other resources. Consider even trading your last resource if you're not using it. If you have stone and are not going to be building any wonders or buildings that benefit from it anytime soon, trade it to a neighbour for gold. You can always cancel the deal after a few turns. And if they build a wonder, you can always go take it from them.

the only mistake you made was building jaguars at all. get bronze working and use axes, since you can't build swordsmen, and begin your war earlier, if possible. other than that, provided you do the previously mentioned fixes (courthouses, $ buildings), and that you've conquered enough cities (2 civs should be plenty), soon you'll be charging ahead in every way. sounds like a candidate for a domination victory, although you can probably leverage this land grab into any kind of victory you want. if, as you say, you'll be behind "soon", then you're doing pretty good. usually after my first massive military expansion, i'm already way behind. i almost never get free gp's or anything for discovering tech's first, but by the industrial age (at the very latest), i'm unstoppable.

What's wrong with Jaguars? They have the same strength as Axemen but they receive defensive bonuses in the jungle. I'm playing a tropical map.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Jaguars are useless if you have copper or iron, the whole point of them is to allow a swordsman-like unit without needing metals. Take over a city, reduce it to minimum population by pumping out jaguars with pop rush (notice you don't need to hook up the city to a trade route with metals to do this!) and end an assault with twice as many units as you started with - that's the purpose of jaguars. Defense bonuses in jungle are insignificant, it is rare that any important battle takes place in jungle.

ownedbyakorat said:
Defense bonuses in jungle are insignificant, it is rare that any important battle takes place in jungle.
Too true. Barbs will attack units fortified on jungle hills, but the AI civs seem to be programmed to be smarter than that.

i see some further options :
1) did you build cottages?
if not, it's time to do so
10 workers can bring out 3 of them each turn
if you don't have 2 cottages worked for every city, you'll be in a bad shape soon, even with CoL
If you do, and the cities you captured are big enough (size 3 at least, smaller should be razed everytime unless wonder/holy), you'll be back on tracks in 10 turns.

Top Bottom