1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Money shortage?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by ianfuture, Jul 28, 2009.

1. ianfuture

ianfuture Chieftain

Hi,

My usual strategy is found a religion early, build Stonehenge, get a Great Prophet and build the shrine, then reap the rewards of all the extra income. However in the current game Stonehenge got built elsewhere, and I'm struggling to get a Great Prophet out, plenty of other Great People, but the Prophet is taking ages.

Anyway, as I've become aware my strategy is flawed if I don't get Stonehenge and a Great Prophet as I can't generate enough income to keep my research at high enough levels to lead the tech race. Currently it's only at 40% and I can't increase otherwise I lose 20+ gold per turn and my reserves are only about 400 gold, so they wont last long. Done everything I can to increase revenue, such as cottages, markets, banks etc, maximum trade routes, and it's slowly kicking in, but in the early part of the game I really suffered.

So my question is what do others do to generate enough money to keep research running at 70-80% in early parts of game? Cottages don't generate enough early on I find. Help!

Current nation is Khymer, Noble setting, huge map, big and small map type, 14 opponents

Thanks..
    Ian

2. huh?

huh? Warlord

1. Isn't the recommended guideline is to stop expanding once you have drop your research to 60%?

2. Code of Laws and Currency are good techs.

3. Research the other good techs and trade for cash.

3. ianfuture

ianfuture Chieftain

I think there was a lag between my expansion and the drop in research and money shortage. anyway i had to make a grab for land otherwise i'd be totally owned by my rivals because i was too small to defend myself.

Neighbours with borders are Japan, Mongols, Incans, French. Very close are Holy romans, Greeks, Vikings and Native Americans.

there was no noticeable difference after getting code of laws or currency

Only a few people would trade techs with me, and then only for other techs.

Any more suggestions?

Ian

4. LegionSteve

LegionSteve Motörhead

It isn't always necessary to keep your research slider at 70-80%. It can be worth expanding till it goes down to 40% or even lower if you are grabbing good land. You need to go for the right techs early though. You can keep your research going with scientists (writing) or building research (alphabet) until your land is more developed and you start getting better economic techs. The AIs may get ahead of you but you will soon catch up.

5. huh?

huh? Warlord

Did you build the courthouses in all of the cities? Did you build markets in the viable cities? Did you trade (once you had Alphabet) these high value techs to the other civs?

If your reserach path took while to get these techs, then the other civs might have had them already. These are a couple to target shortly after the Bronze Working and food techs.

I don't have a problem dropping to 40-50% research if the courthouses/markets are being built. I try to stay above 60% until those two techs are researched.

6. Vulcans

Vulcans Prince

courthouses are important to build when expanding, and cottages take time for the land to develop, so you might be with a low slider for some time till it pays off.

one other note, the important thing is the total beakers, not the %. if you expand and have 40% research of 200gold its the same as not expanding and having 80% research of 100 gold. the difference is that when your expanded land consolidates and developes, you hook up resources, get hereditory rule to solve happyness etc then you will later be getting 80% research of the 200 gold, at which time its worth expanding again, making your slider drop down to 40% of 400 gold.