Money.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Emperor2, Dec 3, 2007.

  1. Emperor2

    Emperor2 Capitalist Missionary

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2006
    Messages:
    916
    Location:
    Capitalist Paradise
    I'm almost positive this is going to be regarded as the stupidest question ever posted on here, but despite the risk of ridicule and humiliation, I really want to know.

    What is the difference between :commerce: and :gold: ?
     
  2. mavajo

    mavajo Chieftain

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2007
    Messages:
    46
    I believe your Science, Culture and Money sliders are pooled from Commerce. So if you're ticking along at 80% Science and 20% Money, then 80% of your commerce goes toward generating Science, while the remaining 20% goes towards generating money.

    I've only been playing for a week, though, so I could be completely wrong. :D This is a big game...takes a while to wrap my head around it all, and I'm an old school Civ and Civ 2 player.
     
  3. Orion071

    Orion071 Home School Tutor

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2006
    Messages:
    546
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    That's it, you've got it right. And it's certainly not a stupid question, I see people confused by it all of the time. Tiles and trade routes generate commerce :commerce:, which the sliders turn into research :science:, culture :culture: and money :gold:.
     
  4. MrCynical

    MrCynical Deity

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2005
    Messages:
    4,668
    Location:
    The Dreaming Spires
    Actually this is far from a stupid question - it's one of the most misunderstood distinctions in Civ 4.

    Commerce :)commerce: ) is produced by the tiles around your city, by your trade routes, and also by your palace. It can be thought of essentially as a raw material. What happens to it depends on the position of your sliders. Suppose your science slider is set to 80% and your empire is currently generating 10 :commerce: (I'll ignore the culture slider for simplicity's sake).

    80% of this commerce will be converted to science :)science: ) and 20% will be converted to gold :)gold: ). You therefore would end up with 8 :science: to go towards your current research project, and 2 :gold: to go to your treasury, and then be used to pay maintenance or whatever.

    Hence commerce is a raw material - depending how your sliders are set it is converted into some combination of science, gold, culture and (if you have the BtS expansion) espionage. All of these may also be produced by means independent of commerce (e.g. specialists, buildings etc.)
     
  5. pikesfan

    pikesfan Chieftain

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2002
    Messages:
    36
    I think I liked the old Civ 1 way of indicating commerce, by two arrows.
     
  6. 6K Man

    6K Man Bureaucrat

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    Messages:
    2,346
    Location:
    in a Gadda Da Vida
    Commerce is input. Gold/money is output.
     
  7. Maben

    Maben Chieftain

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2007
    Messages:
    80
    While it has been explained, I feel it is important to point out something that I missed for a LONG time when I first started playing. Banks, Markets, Grocers, Wall Street, etc. only increase a city's GOLD and not its commerce. If you are running your :science: slider on high (80-100%) then most of the time the boosts from these buildings will be minimal and many times less than ideal. It is important, in my opinion, to build these buildings in cities where they have a big effect (ex. in a city with a shrine or corporation) and not everywhere like I used to, it is usually a waste of production.
     
  8. Stolen Rutters

    Stolen Rutters Deity

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2006
    Messages:
    2,100
    Location:
    Michigan
    Except that markets also increase happiness :) and grocers increase health :health: (with the right resources, of course). I agree completely, though, that you still don't build the building if you don't need it in that city.
     
  9. gunkulator

    gunkulator Emperor

    Joined:
    May 30, 2003
    Messages:
    1,265
    Location:
    NH, USA
    Civ2 also used two arrows. Civ3 changed it to the nebulous gold round thing and Civ4 picked up that change.
     

Share This Page