money?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by pi4t, Aug 24, 2009.

1. pi4t

pi4t Warlord

What is money useful for? You can trade with it, upgrade units, rush builds, anything else? (This isn't per turn gains, it's just the actual money). Are there any problems with having no money?

2. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

It pays for unit support, once you are past the free level. It pays for maint on structures. It can be converted to beakers for research. If you run out and are not playing on chief level, something will be disbanded, each turn.

Late in the game, you could build Wall St to gain interest on savings.

3. Arexander

Arexander Trucker

vmxa, read the post more carefully. He asked about money in treasury, not gpt.

4. pol1

pol1 kayaking physicist

Gold in treasury might be used to cover deficit - e.g. when speeding research and running on deficit. There are also diplomatic/espionage missions.

And there are no reasons IMO to keep lots of gold lying around.

5. undertoad

undertoad Warlord

I've sometimes wondered this; in my usual habit of maintaining a large treasury (before Wall St, which as vmxa points out does make your money work for you.... obviously CivIII came out before recent events ;)) I stop and think - why not just rush for that next tech at -35 a turn? What is this money for?

Two things you don't mention are
    a) Espionage. From the initial setting up of embassies and planting of spies, to city subversion, sabotaging production or seeing where enemy units are.
    b) Trade includes military alliances; either to set one up (if you're dominating) or to bribe one or more enemies into making peace (if you're being dogpiled).

I don't know if your treasury enters into your "powergraph" rating, or whether that determines how aggressive enemies might be towards you.

Incidentally, a great way to get rich in the early game is barb-bashing. Once you've got Horses/Horseback Riding, it's a walk in the park to wander about sacking villages for 25gold a time. The downside is that as you get rich, everyone wants a piece of you...

6. RickDuzEnuff

RickDuzEnuff Chieftain

Undertoad said it best....your treasury is great for bribes and espionage, as well as rushing techs. Once I get a tech lead, I will take back some beaker cash for the treasury. But that requires careful monitoring of the AI civs...don't want the lil buggers to catch me.

7. Snarkhunter

Snarkhunter Prince

On the contrary, gold is useful for buying techs & for upgrading units, not to mention rushing production. I suppose you can bribe a UN election as well, but I don't try that VC very often. . . .

kk

8. pi4t

pi4t Warlord

I always play on cheiftain :)

9. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Having a fair amount of gold in your treasury also allows you to do a mass upgrade of units later in the game. I have modded the game a bit, and allow for Cavalry to upgrade to Tanks, and Ironclads to Battleships, so having gold in the treasury comes in handing for a fast upgrade of units.

10. pol1

pol1 kayaking physicist

Agreed - the point was that having lot of gold without any plans how to spend it for it is useless.

Amassing gold for quick mass upgrade (stealing/buying tech, bribing into alliance) has a purpose.

Then again mass upgrade is what I do up to few times during a game (e.g. upgrading horses, artillery types of units).
    Having enough gold/gpt to perform connect/disconnect resource type of upgrades is still another matter.

11. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

Buy armies!

12. splunge the 2nd

splunge the 2nd King

Can you cash rush armies with the milatary academy? I never knew that!

13. Snarkhunter

Snarkhunter Prince

Yup. Of course, they don't come cheap. Some players recycle their early armies partly for that reason, since you can't do a whole lot with something like a horseman army in the IA, but you can recoup a lot of shields to go into a new army to be filled by cavs, tanks, or whatevers. That either shortens the production cycle or allows a cheaper cash rush, take your pick.

kk

14. KaptainK714

KaptainK714 Warlord

i've recently started to recycle out of date armies and it really helps. I also keep my gpt in big + territory to finish an army too.
    by the way is it worth recycling a Cavalry army to get a Tank army? I usually have 50+ artillery so i can redline my opponents troops and clean up. Itry to use my tank armies to battle units that havent been redlined

15. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

Cavalry armies are too handy to cashier, that extra move is gold.

16. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

No. If you're going for conquest, cav armies, especially 4-unit cav armies, are useful pretty much until the end of the game.

17. undertoad

undertoad Warlord

Yup. It's even worth beefing-up a pre-Pentagon Knight army with a Cavalry and keeping it, I find. Best used against secondary defenders (the old, obsolete-ish ones that defend a city once you've got rid of the Riflemen/Infantry), but still very useful.

18. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

A trick I used to use: add a Tank to a Knight army to boost its stats, or a Modern Armor to a Cavalry Army, suddenly they become somewat useful again.