Mongol scenario tips? (king and above only)

I finished on Deity too. When I compare it to my King game, then AI had about the same amount of units, but it researched much faster. That ment better units and cities with higher defence value. It took a bit longer to conquer 5 major civs and happiness was constant issue. In the end I beat the game by 5 or 4 turn I think.

I took the upgrade military policy and then went for Liberty and connected all the cities to my capital for 0.5 hapiness. Managed to stay just above "very unhappy" for most part of the game.

Also, I took all the city-states that stood in my path for the policy, army and being connected along the road purposes.

In the beginning I took great care of the capital too. Built the heroic epic and bought most of the other normal buildings.

The main army (which I started conquering on turn 1) went along the silk road and finished at Russia. By that time the second army was conquering Japan and the third was starting to attack India. I was able to research up to the rifles and cavalry, which was very useful against India. Since I left it last, it built up a lot of units and access from the north was soooo tight. Lost many units there. Maybe there's a southern path..

Just won on Deity having 22 turns to spare.

Basics
1) Sell resources & GPT before DOW to get golds and/or cities (yes, sometimes you can buy a city).
2) Always ask others to fight with one another. It's OK that everyone hates you, as long as s/he is also hated by others.
3) Mass-produce Scouts for happiness.

Scenario-specific stuffs
1) You don't need to raze many cities. I only razed few cities down to size 2 or 3 and then stopped razing, and no city was removed from the map.
2) Attack Western Xia on the 2nd turn. Make peace with them at the end of the turn. Attack again and kill them on the 3rd turn. You'll get 2 Horsemen without losing a unit. Korea might get upset and DOW you, but so what.
3) Sell Xian to Jin for a huge GPT.
4) Quickly send a Scout to the West to sign RAs early.You need RAs to get Riflemen earlier than others do.
5) Make peace with Jin after you killed enough units and took some cities. They will give you the rest of cities other than the capital and a huge GPT again.
6) Annex Korea so that you can buy some ships, as Japan might have built some ships.
7) DOW Russia as you fight with Persia; after you killed their Pikes and Horsemen, they'll give you their cities for peace.
8) Must conquer Abbasids, as that's the best place to fight against Arabia.
9) Attack India from both East and West.

Just got this on the highest difficult level....damn...took me almost a week.

A few of my units had >600 XP :lol:

Now I just need to get the "Khaaaan!" achievement

Does the number of major civs that you have to kill vary with the difficulty level?

I see a lot of references to having to kill 5 major civs on deity but I am now on my first try with this scenario at prince level, and I only have to kill 4 (well, 3, now that Jin is dead)...

Does the number of major civs that you have to kill vary with the difficulty level?

I see a lot of references to having to kill 5 major civs on deity but I am now on my first try with this scenario at prince level, and I only have to kill 4 (well, 3, now that Jin is dead)...

For Deity, you have to kill eight major civilizations...

All of the advice in this forum seems to be pretty good. I think I might have a problem or maybe I'm missing a patch or something.

I cannot upgrade any of my horseman to Keshiks without 430 gold. I have watched videos and checked other forums, and most suggest to start by upgrading atleast one unit to a Keshik. This is a problem for me because I can't even do this for one. I have tried playing the scenario on other difficulties, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. That's why I think I might be missing a MOD or a patch, but I don't know which one.

I'm having particular difficulty with this scenario on deity. I start the game on the verge of unhappiness and - 6 gold income. I have tried attacking Western Xia first and attacking Beijing first. The result seems to always be the same. I can destroy Jin, but I can't beat Wu. It seems that with the horseman nerf, killing Jin takes too long. By the time I can turn my attention to Wu, she has riflemen with oligarchy bonus. How can I digest Jin's cities and transition quickly enough to kill Wu? This has got me kicking myself for not taking on this scenario before the patch.

How can I digest Jin's cities and transition quickly enough to kill Wu? This has got me kicking myself for not taking on this scenario before the patch.

You need 4 Keshiks as soon as possible. 8 Keshiks are better.

Sell everything you can for gold, and pillage every tile before you capture a city.

I'm on my first attempt on the mongol scenario as we speak. Emperor level (you need to kill 6 major civs). With 20 turns left and 3 civs to go I've been a bit too slow but I think I'll can pull it of.

First thing I did was to declare on western xian on turn 2, directly after that declared on Siam, unfortunately it took me too long to kill them of which might mean I'll loose this one, if I attempt it again I might go directly for Siam.

The thing is to get 4 keshiks asap, upgrading horsemen is the key. you'll afford to upgrade one immideately so you have two, you only need two horsemen to take the cities early on (one healing/one fighting. With your initial social policies you can select the one that reduces upgrade cost in the honor tree so you'll afford the early upgrades. The double XP one is good as well.

In my game I puppet most I conquer except a few worthless cities which I razed. I did annex some to get more places closer to the action to buy units from. With Keshiks you really doesn't need to worry about the unhappy combat penalty so down to -19 you're safe, below that you might get some rebels at you capital but it's not the end of the world, keep an x-bow/longsword or equivalent there and you should be fine.

With 4 keshiks and two horsemen and a khan in each army you can roll over an enemy fairly quickly, a city falls quickly later on with 4 logistics upgraded keshiks, a horseman can take any city if the keshiks has bombarded it down to the last red pin, atleast it's my experience so far. I divided my forces into armies built like that, with the added support of longswordmen to take on japan which is a bit more troublesome with water in the way. Trailing the army with longswordmen is a decent choice if you head into trouble that your horsemen can't handle, those guys can clean up the trouble spot when they arrive, but don't let them slow down your advance.

It's a pretty fun scenario that really shows the power of the Mongols, Keshiks is a wonderful unique unit. To win, don't bother with anything but what's needed to keep your advance going, science or policies isn't really needed in this scenario. The little you gain will be enough to help you win. Only take CS that's in the way, else leave them, the bonuses isn't that great anyway (though the two horsemen you get from Western Xian is vital to get more horses to cheaply upgrade to keshiks.)

I'm on my first attempt on the mongol scenario as we speak. Emperor level (you need to kill 6 major civs). With 20 turns left and 3 civs to go I've been a bit too slow but I think I'll can pull it of.

First thing I did was to declare on western xian on turn 2, directly after that declared on Siam, unfortunately it took me too long to kill them of which might mean I'll loose this one, if I attempt it again I might go directly for Siam.

The thing is to get 4 keshiks asap, upgrading horsemen is the key. you'll afford to upgrade one immideately so you have two, you only need two horsemen to take the cities early on (one healing/one fighting. With your initial social policies you can select the one that reduces upgrade cost in the honor tree so you'll afford the early upgrades. The double XP one is good as well.

In my game I puppet most I conquer except a few worthless cities which I razed. I did annex some to get more places closer to the action to buy units from. With Keshiks you really doesn't need to worry about the unhappy combat penalty so down to -19 you're safe, below that you might get some rebels at you capital but it's not the end of the world, keep an x-bow/longsword or equivalent there and you should be fine.

With 4 keshiks and two horsemen and a khan in each army you can roll over an enemy fairly quickly, a city falls quickly later on with 4 logistics upgraded keshiks, a horseman can take any city if the keshiks has bombarded it down to the last red pin, atleast it's my experience so far. I divided my forces into armies built like that, with the added support of longswordmen to take on japan which is a bit more troublesome with water in the way. Trailing the army with longswordmen is a decent choice if you head into trouble that your horsemen can't handle, those guys can clean up the trouble spot when they arrive, but don't let them slow down your advance.

It's a pretty fun scenario that really shows the power of the Mongols, Keshiks is a wonderful unique unit. To win, don't bother with anything but what's needed to keep your advance going, science or policies isn't really needed in this scenario. The little you gain will be enough to help you win. Only take CS that's in the way, else leave them, the bonuses isn't that great anyway (though the two horsemen you get from Western Xian is vital to get more horses to cheaply upgrade to keshiks.)

I'd go with:

1) The 1/2 gold upgrade first turn, upgrade all but one of your horseman to Keshiks then take out Uighur (to get the free culture policy -> 1.5XP upgrade)
2) THEN come down and take Western Xia. When you meet Siam and China make sure you select "you'll pay for this in time" so you can get them nice and angry early. Upgrade your two new horseman to keshiks and send them down with your army.
3) Take Siam's city just south and east of Western Xia. Both China and Siam should declare war on you at that point. Use all your new keshiks to wipe out their first wave.
4) Keep one keshik fortified on western xia to pick off any other attempts to take it.
5) Spam scouts and garrison them in your cities. They technically count as military units so they should keep your cities under 10 unhappiness.
6) Go after CHINA first. China gets huge bonuses and if you don't punch them in the mouth early they will bury you later. Siam is more of an annoyance and you can always go back and wipe them out later.

I did a run at the scenario on deity last night. I did not win, but I did have more success. I took Western Xia first and sold it to Jin for 31 GPT and open borders. I then proceeded to kill Wu. About halfway through conquering Wu, Jin declared war. Killing Wu took a long time, but Jin was far easier to kill 20-30 turns in than Wu is. Jin was mostly annoying because of the Siamese Elephants. Eventually, I subdued Jin too. So, I'm moving in the right direction.

For people who have beaten deity, what was the order of civs you took out (CS included?) I beat immortal but my approach was too inefficient for deity, I am trying again.

The only CS I have been conquering is Western Xia early to get the 2 horses, I attack Jin first and when Western Xia DOWs me, the other city states don't get mad at me for destroying them, I like getting CS gold gifts. Right away I have a horse meet 3 CS to get a gold boost, then join the attack on Jin.

I have been spending the 1000 gold from conquering Persia to buy off Abbasids as an ally, that saves me several turns, their luxury helps with my happiness and they help take out Arabia's army - of course after I trade my resources for Arabia's cash and then DOW to break the deal, so it is like foregoing buying another keshik to buy time.

I used to take Uighur for the extra policy but decided it took too much time and happiness.

Thanks!

I just beat deity! It was fun to start at king and work my way up. I will do a detailed post, I found the Mongol Scenario to be the most fun thing about Civ 5 so far!

I just beat deity! It was fun to start at king and work my way up. I will do a detailed post, I found the Mongol Scenario to be the most fun thing about Civ 5 so far!

Me too. Gotta go punch China in the mouth early or you have no hope!

All of the advice in this forum seems to be pretty good. I think I might have a problem or maybe I'm missing a patch or something.

I cannot upgrade any of my horseman to Keshiks without 430 gold. I have watched videos and checked other forums, and most suggest to start by upgrading at least one unit to a Keshik. This is a problem for me because I can't even do this for one. I have tried playing the scenario on other difficulties, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. That's why I think I might be missing a MOD or a patch, but I don't know which one.

I seem to be having the same issues. On every difficulty from prince to deity the stats are the same (200 gold banked with -2 gpt, 3 happiness, and 430 culture needed for a policy). The only way I've been able to upgrade anything is by selling my extra horses to Jin on turn one. Getting even one policy means having to spend too many turns It feels like there's something basic I'm not seeing but have no idea what that might be.

Edit: Is the game speed supposed to be marathon? If it isn't the how does one reset this?

Second Edit: Game speed was set to marathon by default but changing it back in config.ini fixed it.

I beat this on Diety last night. Here's what I did.

• Ignore the City States
  • Most Civ's (8 on Deity) are on the mainland. The only one East of you is Japan and they are on an island with three cities.
  • Destroy and battle only one major power at a time (the exception being Japan, get started on them early - they have a city on a two tile island!)
  • Everytime you defeat a major Civ you'll get 1,000 gold. Use this to rush units (sometimes courthouses).
  • You will run negative 10 or greater happiness sometimes and will have to deal with it.
  • I razed any city that didn't have horses or iron.
  • You need to defeat 8 civs in 100 turns (1 every 12 turns)
  • Pillage first attack second. Know your enemy. If they are horse heavy. Hit their horse resource, so they get the -50% penalty. Much easier this way. Always take out their luxuries and resources. The AI does suffer from the unhappy penalty and the lack of resource penalty. I've seen it. Heck, I counted on it.
  • Treat workers as targets of opportunity, but don't break ranks to capture one (lose flanking bonus)
  • Use flanking bonuses (they don't work against cities). Destroy most his army in a first strike if you can (if you mass at the border, they seem to do so too)
  • On Diety, I built nothing but military. If you pillage like I said above, your unhappiness penalty and his will cancel out.
  • Concentrated Fire is a must!
  • Surprisingly, the barbarians helped (but not much). Towards then end, they were running around with Rifleman, I even lost a city to them (and got the achievement). They did take two enemy cities for me also.
  • The Rebellion penalty appears to be turned off for this scenario. There were a few times when I was running negative 20 happiness...

It is a battle royale! Take no prisoners, accept no peace. 10 turns of peace in a 100 turn scenario is devastating...

If I think of anything else, I'll add it.

Good Hunting! :sniper:

I haven't played this scenario above King yet, but I have won handily at the King level with a slightly different sort of strategy. I'm not going to do a list, but basically I allied with as many CS as I could afford, using the $1,000 conquering bonus to bribe them. I didn't raze any cities, but made them all puppets. Connecting each city to my trade route increased cash flow. Building in the capitol was normal (i.e., science, happiness, wealth, culture buildings). Didn't buy any/many military units -- relied on the militaristic CS to furnish them. Chose the 1.5 XP policy at the get-go, and then concentrated on the CS policy tree (forget the name) so that I could get all the CS to kick in science points. Then I was able to get 1 or 2 happiness policies, such as garrisoning troops or some such. By about turn 70 my army was mostly artillery & cavalry, with a couple of remaining kechucks which I didn't upgrade because they were more useful as ranged units. Happiness was never a big problem; usually stayed above zero what with the luxury resources gained from conquered civs & received as CS gifts.:king:

Top Bottom