1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mongolia conquered by Tyre

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Bad Wolf, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf King

So I've seen city-states conquer each other before... but I've never seen a city-state take another civ's capital! Especially when that civ is... Mongolia! :lol: Genghis Khan would be ashamed...

In case you're wondering, from the end-game replay it seems as if what happened was Mongolia picked one too many fights with its neighbours and they ultimately united to destroy the golden horde, with Tyre dealing the finishing blow and taking Karakorum.

Attached Files:

2. GoStu

GoStu King

That's hilarious... Losing a capital to a city-state, and you have a 30% bonus against them? That's as bad as losing it to Barbarians, which is notoriously hard to do.

3. Byzantine Bomb

Byzantine Bomb Warlord

I LOVE when city states conquer other cities but an actual capital to deal the final blow? Perfect!
    Aside from this, my favorite thus far would be seeing Antwerp on a Europe TSL map conquer Amsterdam. :lol:

4. El Caballerion

El Caballerion King

I actually wish that things like this would happen a lot more often. I'm all for CSs being unpredicatble.

5. Jon the Bastard

Jon the Bastard Warlord

In my current game, I'm playing as Portugal. Fractal map, King, standard settings and all. Ottomans declare war on Greece, buy the allegiance of all the city-states that are allied with Greece and share a border with him, and proceed to absolutely wreck Alexander. Ottomans capture two of his five cities, and Singapore takes two more. I found it particularly ironic that that the Great Collector of City-States would be turned on and devoured by his own. Hehe

6. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Problem is when a CS declares war on you (because they're allied to someone who does) they will usually charge at you with one sole Pikeman or Crosbowman, and then when that "army" has been eradicated they will through in another single unit, until they've lost all their units. So practically what they do is commit suicide. I wish they would code them to just hold back passively unless they actually had a capable army that had a real chance of doing some damage.

7. rodrigoq

rodrigoq Warlord

I weaken cities and let CS'es take them on a regular basis to avoid warmongering penalties. Keep city HP at 0, and wait for CS to capture it, and hopefully raze it. Always nice to avoid an Extreme warmonger penalty.

8. sendos

sendos Immortal

I've had about 2 cases where one CS annexes another CS. One of those cases even involved the vanilla quest asking for civs to capture another CS and they completed their own quest.

But yeah, that is hilarious: Mongolia being owned by a CS.

9. Optional

Optional Deity

Well, if there's anyone declaring on CS's left and right it's Mongolia, sometimes effectively, sometimes completely ineffectively.
    I've seen them declare war on a CS and lose a main town to that CS. Granted, I've never seen them wiped out by a CS, but I'm not completely surprised it happened...

10. Sturmgewher88mm

Sturmgewher88mm Kaiser

So if a CS captures multiple non-razable cities, is it considered a civ at that point? At least one that isn't trying to win.

11. Aenthin

Aenthin Warlord

Now what would happen if Venice was around

12. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

They would get all CS's cities, if using merchant.

13. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

This. Very few things frustrate me more than having a city state send their artillery in to the water, and then get it killed by an enemy AI city, leaving the city state itself completely defenseless. You would think city states would be programmed to always have a melee unit protecting its worker, and to always have a ranged unit inside the city. It can't be that hard to do...

14. holywar

holywar Chieftain

Beautiful

15. holywar

holywar Chieftain

That would be awesome if Venice won a domination victory by purchasing a capital that had been conquered by a city state. Maybe the coolest victory of all time. That should be an achievement!

16. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

This is a truly beautiful thing. :lol:

17. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

That`s pretty good. it`s nice to see such little quirks as they are not unrealistic. If a CS takes advanatge of a power civ in multiple wars and actually kills it, then well done that CS!

18. Sturmgewher88mm

Sturmgewher88mm Kaiser

What if, by some freak chance on a Pangea map, a CS conquered all the capitals? :p

19. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

I told Genghis, I said, "Hey, Genghis! Don't go attacking those city-states randomly! You'll get beaten up!"
    Genghis said, "Nah, nothing to worry about. I mean, I get a +30% combat boost against city-states! What could go wrong?"
    Guess Tyre's getting the last laugh...

20. DarthSheldonPhD

DarthSheldonPhD Warlord

Can someone tell me if Karakorum now has Tyre's luxury in the city tile, or did they "fix" that. That happened one game, a merc CS conquered an AI civ's city, razed it, and left a a porcelain on the map. I was thinking that using a strategy similar to what rodrigoq proposed had the potential for creating some great city landscapes.

I'd check it myself but gee, I have a game running in the background and according to the powers-that-be here, if I were to save my game, check the posted save out of curiosity, and reload my game in progress, that's somehow considered cheating. Not that I ever post my games for HoF anyway, but I keep copies of the finished games in case I ever decide to. Plus I don't like the insinuation.