[VidLP] Mongolia t161 Domination Win (Patch 12-1, Deity, Standard Size/Quick Speed, Hellblazer's Pangaea)

kawyua

Warlord
Playlist here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhXXY8MGnOWDBj9LAGw-p_xFda-7iOufd

I'm playing on an old laptop, so recording in strategic view is what i got. No commentary, but really just looking back at it for reference makes the video at least valuable to me =D

So playing mongolia and on quick speed, I had a bit of a laundry list of things I wanted to take advantage of:

tributing- Mongolia's +100% tribute rewards is an absurd number on top of the already high rewards for tributes. We are talking around the range of 350:c5science:,:c5food:,:c5faith:,or:c5culture: each heavy tribute every 15 turns on quick speed no. The returns of investment on military units to tribute city states were already very powerful on a normal civ, mongolia takes it to another level. While also being extremely mobile to do so with 6 movement chariots

city-state worker stealing - I did it around 7? times in my game it is . The lower city-state influence as a result is a bit of a meme. Anyways, workers are very hard to steal from ai civs now and early wars in general with ai civs is risky business.

Borderblobbing- Border expand part of ger(Mongolian granary) is an iconic part of Mongolia's kit and it is powerful because its an additive 25% stacking modifier on border cost reduction, the others in the set being angkor wat, russia ua, god of the expanse, and monument. (cap is 80% reduction)

This is maximum border blobbing. for anyone wondering why sovereignty in tradition is picked:
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/ep9orfut8h
this is the border growth formula with and without it
vlcsnap-2020-12-08-20h40m43s605.png

I ran out of border room in inland cities by around turn 110. This is running out of border expand room is a pretty important thing to play around, take a look at the map replay to see what happens.

there are a couple of things i can think at the top my head of to alleviate the issue of border expand room.
1)leave a big swath of land around the capital
2)forward settle enemy ai by taking as much good settling area as possible so they will settle elsewhere
3)Trying to split the the two big culture outputs of being a holy city, or having oxford university into a city other than the capital with a lot of open room such as coastals/island cities.

taking a strong way to spend faith
vlcsnap-2020-12-09-04h02m15s733.png

I took two good ways of spending faith when i only needed one. A more disciplined decision is probably council of elders->cathedral->pagoda->zealotry

Im playing on a lower level, how is way of the pilgrim good when playing agressive? what have I missed?
Do you think hero worship drops in value on the higher difficulties?

Im playing on a lower level, how is way of the pilgrim good when playing aggressive? what have I missed?
Do you think hero worship drops in value on the higher difficulties?
a couple reasons
part of this is experimentation because the yields for way of the pilgrim was nerfed this patch.
I had a very reasonable chance to get borbordor before others with 2 science city-states nearby. what borbordor means is that my faith basically converts to culture at about a 1faith:1.5 culture ratio.
I also had like 3 faith city states in the 8 city-state circuit i was doing. each contributing like a 250 faith heavy tribute on quick speed.
Sure, I already have zealotry for converting faith to units, but consider all of the wasted faith because i'm over the limit and get great prophets instead because i can't spend it.
Culture is a premium yield and way of the pilgrim was a big portion of my culture output.

hero worship is a pub stomper founder. It doesn't support you in anyway before getting your first city, which is the most crucial part of the game when going warmonger. unless the game changes where the ai scales dramatically harder than you in the late game. Either that or its a huge map.

You no-look settled on horses? Was that just luck?

You no-look settled on horses? Was that just luck?
uh... in the capital settle? I get it that this sort of comment comes becomes I'm not commentating, but realistically just look at the tiles without any further information. I want you to tell me which tile is just better to settle here

settling right is better in nearly every way considering the wide range of things ruins will do. I don't know what you want to say man.

Its a legendary strategic start, so how it works is that your capital is filled to the brim with terrain and resources that the leftover plains tile around a like 3 tile radius around your capital are the only places horses can spawn in. If you try, it is quite likely that you do settle on horses a good amount of time if you guess it.

Before this I played like 5 practice runs, restarting to different maps, trying to do different build orders because I haven't played in a while and I'm not that familiar with how mongolia plays out.

Anyways, throughout the run I did quit when i was tired because I did some terrible order in the turn, then restarted to that turn or a couple turns before after taking a break, so I have my own code of conduct for "save scumming". There is only so much fog of war parts with ordering and timing things being important in this game that I think some extent of loading a save is fine. In my mind, I think what I'm doing is reasonable, but yeah next time I'll try commentating. I need a better computer to run better graphics i guess, too if i want to actually upload watchable videos.

It really isn't that unlikely to spike a horses on your capital settle if you actually do aim to settle on a flat plains. On other map types, without both legendary and strategic (which I think is impossible without this map type) a horse settle start is fairly rare. Its like 1/5 of the time you can spike a settle on horse in capital settle in this setting, but its not that different compared to having a horse nearby and getting that online.

uh... in the capital settle? I get it that this sort of comment comes becomes I'm not commentating, but realistically just look at the tiles without any further information. I want you to tell me which tile is just better to settle here

settling right is better in nearly every way considering the wide range of things ruins will do. I don't know what you want to say man.

Its a legendary strategic start, so how it works is that your capital is filled to the brim with terrain and resources that the leftover plains tile around a like 3 tile radius around your capital are the only places horses can spawn in. If you try, it is quite likely that you do settle on horses a good amount of time if you guess it.

Before this I played like 5 practice runs, restarting to different maps, trying to do different build orders because I haven't played in a while and I'm not that familiar with how mongolia plays out.

Anyways, throughout the run I did quit when i was tired because I did some terrible order in the turn, then restarted to that turn or a couple turns before after taking a break, so I have my own code of conduct for "save scumming". There is only so much fog of war parts with ordering and timing things being important in this game that I think some extent of loading a save is fine. In my mind, I think what I'm doing is reasonable, but yeah next time I'll try commentating. I need a better computer to run better graphics i guess, too if i want to actually upload watchable videos.

It really isn't that unlikely to spike a horses on your capital settle if you actually do aim to settle on a flat plains. On other map types, without both legendary and strategic (which I think is impossible without this map type) a horse settle start is fairly rare. Its like 1/5 of the time you can spike a settle on horse in capital settle in this setting, but its not that different compared to having a horse nearby and getting that online.

I was trying to see if there were any tips on being more likely to settle on horses. I actually just did in a game on a new beta, but had to give it up because it was bugged. I wasn't trying to accuse you of anything.

I play on Deity. I "save scum" if a) I misclick, or b) I figure out I could have played better. No judgment here.

Top Bottom