1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Monitor-less" Computer Use

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Alan Bradely, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Alan Bradely

Alan Bradely Chieftain

I have a Windows 2000, and the motherboard, which needs to be replaced, just stop sending video to the monitor. That is not in doubt. But until I get another motherboard, I still need to get at some stuff on it. I have another computer Ethernet-ed to it, but the best I can think of is copying what I do on one computer on the other. Any bright ideas?

2. Kaost

Kaost Berserker

If its only to access data on ur hard drive, u could just switch the hard drive into ur working computer.

3. EzInKy

EzInKy Excentric

On Linux we have secure shells and remote desktop connections to control one computer from another. You might do a search to see if ssh and vnc have been ported to windows or if similar applications exist.

4. taper

taper Meet Tux

Things like remote desktop and vnc are available for windows, but they'll be hard to install/activate if you don't have a monitor. Pulling the hard drive is very easy, just google for instructions if you've never done it before. Make sure your jumper settings are correct when you plug it into another machine.

5. EzInKy

EzInKy Excentric

For the initial install he may very well have to temporarily switch hard drives, but I was assuming he wanted to be able to use both machines concurrently while waiting on the arrival of his new motherboard.

I am wondering if this is a desktop computer. Perhaps a cheap PCI video card could solve his problems.

6. Alan Bradely

Alan Bradely Chieftain

Ok, it looks like I'll have to switch the hard drive regardless. Actually, I am familiar with switching drives, but only with a single computer. I am concerned about driver incompatibility and the like, as the working computer (which is more important) is set up quite differently (more tools...). Should I just try my hard drive, or could I do damage?

7. Till

Till Adventurer

There is at least VNC, SSH for Windows and, of course, Cygwin available.

Alan: You will want to install the harddrive in addition to the one that is already in the other computer. As long as you don't try to boot from the broken computer's harddrive, there should be no problems.

8. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

(I'll call your broken machine computer A and the working one B.)

As long as computer A still boots from hard drive A (and not hard drive B), it'll be fine. You'll just see a new hard drive pop up when you load windows.

9. Kaost

Kaost Berserker

The thing to keep in mind, is that theres no problem if its set alright. And its easy except, of course, if u dont have the needed space in the comp :p.

Dont forget to switch the extra HD to slave if its IDE cable. And the one that ur comp boot from should be at Master (sometimes when they are alone they are set to cable select). If ur not familiar with master/slave stuff and IDE cable 'patterns' u can go read about it.

Take ur time, and touch the case before playing in it to avoid static problem on ur components.

Oh yeah and avoid beer around, had a friend who accidentaly dropped a complete beer in its case, and of course, the new HD didnt work, :D hehe

NOTE: Except if ur unlucky, even incompatible stuff wont broke, if well installed the worst that will happen is that it will just not work. But there is always a very small risk when playing around with that (as almost everything does :D ).

10. Alan Bradely

Alan Bradely Chieftain

DOH!
    I should have remembered to use one of the TWO empty hard drive slots in the side of the computer. I got the master/slave to work, and accessed my files.

Thanks all!