1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Monopolies and Corporations Game Mode Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 19, 2021.

1. n_shai

n_shai Chieftain

Also the bonus corporation gives is not that big of a deal and you're not required to have a monopoly to build corporation.
    There are definitely not much of Great Merchants as of right now. So using any great person to create corporation seems reasonable.

2. Abaxial

Abaxial King

One thing that I think is worth noting - recall that when you start a new game, the starting screen proposes as options a small map with continents (so a standard map is not actually standard). I have heard it said by one who claims authority that this is because Firaxis regards this as the optimum setting for the game. So it would not surprise me if Firaxis has tuned the game mode to work best with small maps. Then you get people on this forum who always play huge maps and have a bad experience because they have ten civs without the luxury they have a monopoly of, instead of only four or five. So one option would be to cap the multiplier for number of civs without the luxury to take account of different map sizes.

3. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Yeah, it is the sort of bonus that tends to grow exponentially larger the bigger the map, since you have more copies, more continents, and more opponents. A 4/4 monopoly isn't giving you a gamebreaking amount of tourism. But if you have a standard or large map, and have some big continents, suddenly you can fairly easily secure some 10/10 monopolies, and if you can control 2 continents, so maybe 5 or 6 monopolies, while still having 5 or 6 AI left in the game, then everything just grows exponentially.

4. IsabelBraganca

IsabelBraganca Warlord

Great Admirals - create corporation in ocean, any kind of luxury
    Great Merchant - create corporation in land, any kind of luxury

Great Scientist - create corporation on luxury that gives science
    Great Artist - create corporation on luxury that gives culture
    Great General - create corporation on luxury that increase production of units
    Great Engineer - create corporation on luxury that increase production of buildings or increase housing/food

5. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 King

This has probably been mentioned before, but the game is really weird about when it calculates the number of luxuries and whether or not you have a monopoly. For example:

I have two sources of coffee within my borders. According to the global resources report, there are a total of five across the world so no monopoly for me. I decide to use Anansi to remove the sources of coffee outside of my borders... but the game still shows five global instances of the resource even after I remove three from the map. The game says I have no monopoly, and so I get no tourism boost. Eventually I save my game and call it a night.

The next morning I load my game and all the sudden I've got a +70% tourism boost for having the monopoly. I check the global resource screen and NOW it says there are only two instances of coffee worldwide, so now I have the monopoly. I decided to try the same thing with olives, which I also had 2/5 of. Once again, I uses Anansi to remove the three olives from my neighbor, and once again the game doesn't change the numbers in the global resources screen. I save my game, exit out, go right back in and reload... and THEN it tells me I now also have the olives monopoly and a +140% tourism boost.

While I'm sure they weren't really thinking about Anansi when they created this game mode, it still shouldn't work like this. Flooding of coastal tiles can permanently remove luxuries, for example, and I would assume that's not being immediately reflected in the global resources list either.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  6. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Floodplain/river floods and volcanic eruptions can also remove resources, including luxury/amenity resources. Someone's going to have to test Natural Disaster resource removal as it applies to Monopolies . . . in this Mode.

7. AriaLyric

AriaLyric Nonbinary | Peaceful Builder Vietnam & Māori Main

unless you're playing with mods, i can assure you that no natural disaster can ever remove a luxury resource, same as strategics. the only removable ones are bonus resources. In my current game mount kilimanjaro has erupted like 6 times so far, and the first time it removed a wheat and a rice, whereas the directly adjacent marble is still there
    Also, floods on floodplains (as opposed to coastal floods) never remove resouces. worst they can do is pillage districts, remove improvements and damage encampments/city centers

edit: clarified wording

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    walkerjks and Pfeffersack like this.
  8. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

My Bad. I'm using several Resource Mods, and one of the Not Specifically Mentioned effects of one of them seems to be to extend the effects of Natural Disasters on resources of all kinds.

8housesofelixir and AriaLyric like this.
  9. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 King

So if coastal flooding takes place and the entire tile is underwater the luxury is still available? That's pretty silly.

Regardless, Anansi definitely *can* remove luxury resources, and the global resource screen definitely doesn't reflect that until you restart (or reload?) the game.

10. AriaLyric

My bad on the phrasing, I meant specifically floodplains floods. Coastal floods from global warming probably do remove luxuries, tho I wouldn't know because I always actively avoid making any co2 emissions and always play on prince so i never see coastal flooding take place in any of my games.

11. mdl5000

mdl5000 Prince

So when you found a corporation and you have to enter the name...when you click anywhere else besides "generate name" or "ok" it just accepts the random name. Alright then.

I was just playing a game and won a culture victory 2/3 of the way in. And I don't consider myself a particularly good player. This mode feels a little off.

AriaLyric likes this.
  12. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

Rising sea levels destroy even luxury and strategic ressources; the latter though with Oil as an exception, which is just transformed into "sea oil" (so you only have to expend another builder charge for the new improvement)

Boris Gudenuf likes this.
  13. AriaLyric

Now I'm wondering if amber would work the same way, since it's the only luxury that can appear on land and sea just like oil.

Pfeffersack likes this.
  14. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

What I'm wondering is this: Is the monopoly bonus calculated in the same way for AI than for the player ? In the game I played, Mansa gave me a real good run for my money (immortal, huge map).

At the end, we were pretty much tied in every aspect of the game, including culture. When monopolies came, I found a way to have 3 of them... But he also had 3 of them, and Canada also had 2. With the UI, I can easily see I had %1300 on all
    civs, including mansa, but I can't really see how much HE had on everyone. I won culture victory about 10-12 turns later. In my mind, I shouldn't have because Mansa had as many monopolies as I did.

So what gives ?

including a save from a few turns before the end of it for the experts in the room to analyze

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    8housesofelixir likes this.
  15. Ansive

Ansive Prince

With high tourism you steal Tourists from the other civs.
    With high culture you generate Tourists for your self.

You both have 900 culture per turn (and 600 domestic tourists). This makes for a decent defense against cultural victory.
    But you seem to gain a lot more tourist per turn than Mansa.
    You gain 30+ per turn. He gains 10+ per turn.

Anyway, I also moved the save to hotseat and loaded in as Mansa.
    He has luxury 725% monopoly bonus. You had about 1200%.
    He has raw 342 tourism per turn. You had about 700.

It seems appropriate for you to gain Tourists much faster then him. (when playing with Mansa he still gained only 10 Tourists while Ba Trieu gained 30)
    Your monopoly multiplier is higher since you have more monopoly resources. You have 25, while he only has 15 resources.

16. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

Ahhh... That last sentence is the clincher I think... his monopolies are small... 3/5 while mine are 8-9/12... Thx for that.. I didn't have to reflex to load as hotseat, great idea !

17. walkerjks

walkerjks Prince

So completely separate modes, but heroic relics shouldn't gain reliquaries bonus, IMO (they aren't religious, after all). And Kristina's old god obelisks shouldn't theme. But they do, so relic + 2 heroic relics w/reliquaries as Kristina is 112 tourism/turn. Add in monopoly bonus and sub-100 deity wins aren't all that difficult (finished a turn 99 one with "only" a +200% monopoly bonus). Going to see how absurd I can make this.

AriaLyric likes this.
  18. Josephias

Josephias Emperor

IIRC, it does, might need to find and old save to confirm, but I think it is the same.

19. cain3456

cain3456 King

20. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Inquisitive Otter on YouTube did a turn 59 tourism victory as Rome. 2 Monopolies, I think 3 Heroic Relics, and I think they managed to buy a random relic from an AI.