[NFP] Monopolies and Corporations Game Mode Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 19, 2021.

1. walkerjks

walkerjks King

They would still be really terrible. There are global resources (generally the ocean stuff) and there are continental resources (each continent has 4 (or 5?) unique resources). generally, it's nearly impossible to get 60% control of a global resource. You need, say, 14/20 turtles. But the continental stuff is where the monopolies come from and in extreme cases, you might have a small continent to yourself and get an easy 4 or 5 3/5, 4/5 type monopolies where no one else has any, but even with a couple other civs on a continent, it is not necessarily hard to get a couple 6/10 type monopolies where 2 of the other AIs have control of 1 or 2 instances. But on a standard map, a monopoly where 5 of 7 opponents don't have a copy is still a huge bonus.

2. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

It is still variable. Just finished my game up last night, and didn't end up with any monopolies. Too many Turtles and Amber in the water to get control, and despite me having a lot of territory under my control, I still split my continent with 2 other AI, so never made it to the 60% of any of them.

Of course, since I didn't actually get any monopolies, the bonus could have been +1M% and it wouldn't have mattered.

3. Ansive

Ansive Prince

I'm getting 189% tourism from a 7/9 monopoly... (and they count unimproved resources in your territory and allied city state territory as well)
    Also after building a few improvements the AI builders just stand idle, like they are bugged.

All the work they put into this interesting game mode, and the AI can't play at a minimum level of competency. Sad.
    Maybe tomorrow's patch will fix it, but I doubt it.

Piranga likes this.
  4. Piranga

Piranga Warlord

I'm still getting the AI worker bug as well. I'll watch my city states leave workers idle, while they're sitting right next to unimproved luxury and strategic resources.

Pietato and Kotofei like this.
  5. jehtro777

jehtro777 Chieftain

I'm winning so many games at around 200 +/- 20 turns with the monopolies. I read that that tourism was reduced, but it still seems high. I'm not complaining, but the game has a different feel. I almost feel I failed if I wind up playing in the Atomic era. At times I've won a tourism game thank to the corporations when I was actually pursuing a Science win.

Maui wins me so many games more than anything. He made me a whole salt monopoly one game in a dessert for instance lol. Maui will create luxuries that hardly even exist on the map, which makes him pretty awesome.

Kotofei likes this.
  6. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

I really love the guy actually! He was one of the most useless heroes prior.
    You can shoehorn him into creating certain luxuries you only need a couple more to achieve monopoly. Put him on marsh and he can only generate sugar, truffles, or rice for example. On flood plains it's pretty much wheat, maize or sugar only (bad choice since you are more likely to get bonus rather than luxury resources). Desert flatland is guaranteed to give you a luxury of either silver, ivory, salt or incense (no chance for copper since it's not on a hill).
    Early game it is better to put him on a woods/rainforest hill tile for the yields though. He has a miniscule change of generating a bonus resource there since there are so many luxuries that can spawn on such terrain.

Socrates99, nmb93 and Deadly Dog like this.
  7. jehtro777

jehtro777 Chieftain

You mentioned some of my favorite places to use him. Marsh, woods, and rainforest tiles all have a good chance at a luxury. I use it places like those early on and then places like tundra/dessert later. I think hills is kind of one of the less preferable places to use him really. Later in the game, you can also use him to boost your harbor adjacency. Coast tiles are pretty terrible for yielding luxuries, but it is more about the harbor.

8. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

So they never fixed the tourism?

9. CromulentRomulan

CromulentRomulan Chieftain

regrettably they did not, if you are on PC you can use fix_ai_luxury_improvement_issue_with_monopolies_and_corporations_game_mode and monopoly_resource_requirement_setup mods to fix it

10. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

I'll be back to rant in a few days then. I already started a game, and I'll be mad as soon as I win an accidental cultural victory, despite my best efforts to avoid it. I'll try the mod that fix the luxuries though, then I'll give up on this game mode entirely. Fun mode, but it's ruining the game for me.

Kotofei likes this.
  11. Kotofei

Kotofei Chieftain

I tried turning off M&C mode for 2 games. Round 1, the AI was much better about improving luxuries. Round 2, spectacular failure. Quite a few fallow strategics, too. I'm not convinced it's linked to M&C.

12. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Yeah, the AI still doesn't improve the luxury resources until you reach Economics. Incredible this is not fixed after all this time.

Pietato and paxis like this.
  13. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

The aren't really good at it without, but I'm convinced that a game with the C&M mode adds another issue with it. I supect that something seriously mixes up their priorities for the bad and that this is related to the Corporation tech coming late (reason: Mods fixing it move that function to an earlier tech and I was able to get the AI -in an unmodded game with C&M- behave "normally improving ressources", when I started in the Modern Age, where everyone has the Corporation tech already reserached)

14. AmtrakQuebec

AmtrakQuebec King

You know that place by the other place...
    This is easily my favourite mode... all others pale in comparison.

15. Abaxial

Abaxial King

One change I think they have made is reducing the extent that luxuries cluster. This makes it much harder to actually get a monopoly, and pushes you into declaring war and conquering a neighbour to get the luxuries you want.

16. Stoic

Stoic Chieftain

Is artificial intelligence good at handling the mod?

17. Abaxial

Abaxial King

No.

It's a shame about the problems with this mod, because without it, I miss hunting for luxuries to try and improve my industries..

18. Pietato

Pietato Platonic Perfection

This is what I observed as well. It is crazy how this made it live.

Kotofei and Elhoim like this.
  19. cain3456

cain3456 King

I played a large map as the Maori, and with all the balance changes, downgraded to King. My mistake. The game was a total roflstomp, picking up the robber baron cheevo without even trying. I was even playing against other sea powers: Indonesia, Phoenicia, Ottomans, Byzantines, Norway, Germany, Netherlands, England, Portugal. Picked up corporations in the renaissance era & game over, man.

20. Abaxial

Abaxial King

My last game one AI civ managed six of one luxury (without monopolies active) but otherwise there waas not much development.