1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Monopoly Questions

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by MIS, Feb 24, 2020.

1. MIS

MIS Prince

Hi, I looked through the forum and google, and I'm still unclear on a few things:

1) Is it [my improved resource]/[total improved resources]. So if I’m the first to improve, say, dyes, I have 100% monopoly, but if another civ improves two dyes, I drop to 33% and no longer have a monopoly?

2) How much of each luxury/strategic resource is on a standard map?

3) Google says I can only have one monopoly. If I’m >50% on two luxuries, can I choose which bonus to get? If not, how does CBP decide which I get? Can I have a luxury monopoly (e.g. dyes) and a strategic monopoly (e.g. horses) at the same time, so get both bonuses?

Thanks,
    M

2. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

1) The percentage is how much you have compared to the amount in the whole world. So in your example, you wouldn't get 100%. That said, there are a few things that can increase the amount of resources (East India Company, and policies like one in Autocracy that increase the amount of resources you have). In those cases, it is possible to take a monopoly from someone else, but that's the rare exception.

2) 8 on a normal map, meaning you need 5 copies to get a monopoly.

3) You can absolutely have more than 1.

3. SuperNoobCamper

SuperNoobCamper Warlord

You can check the amount of each resource in the map, how many copies each player have and the monopoly bonuses from Monopoly and Corporations overview, it's icon resembles a $ and you can check the exact amount of ever single resource controlled by each player there too.

JamesNinelives likes this.
  4. MIS

MIS Prince

Thanks. I did look there (before seeing your post) and I remember seeing the %, but not the #resources controlled. I probably missed it.

5. SuperNoobCamper

SuperNoobCamper Warlord

If you hover over the percentage it would show you the exact amount in numbers.

6. nmb93

nmb93 Chieftain

Is coal broken in this regard? I play with abundant resources and for the past several months have consistently ended games with 150%++ coal monopoly. I also can't seem to find how much coal I actually have in any of the reports screen..

7. SuperNoobCamper

SuperNoobCamper Warlord

I have never encountered an issue with monopolies in general but it's possible to get these numbers if you are playing Russia or Autocracy yet better Autocracy Russia.

JamesNinelives and nmb93 like this.
  8. Lethal Llama

Lethal Llama Chieftain

Call me cheeky, but Autocracy Russia is redundant.

Heinz_Guderian likes this.
  9. nmb93

nmb93 Chieftain

Autocracy explains the numbers, thank you. I'll post a bug report next game if I'm still experiencing issues with coal showing up and/or monopoly effects not kicking in.

10. SuperNoobCamper

SuperNoobCamper Warlord

It's not ideal but it's fun to have 4X the actual amount of strategics you have :)

11. Lethal Llama

Lethal Llama Chieftain

Yea, I'm sure it is! However, I was poking fun at Russia IRL. Damn ruskies.

12. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives King

Just in case anyone reading this thread is, playing on the Huge map size generate 10 of each, so you need 6 to get a monopoly :).