1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Monopoly

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bestrfcplayer, Nov 29, 2009.

1. bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer Steppin' up!

Do any of you useres at CFC play the bord game Monopoly? If so, tell me your stories.

2. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

I used to, there was an argument.

Not found anywhere good to play online with invited people, we need a CFC OT game.

3. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

Yeah. My dad is really freaking competitive. As soon as he starts getting lucky, he'll force you to accept him as life support, increasing his juggernaut, and allowing him to slowly kill everyone. It's fun, but it kind of sucks.

4. Elliot

Elliot Warlord

Random thoughts:

Its fun if you're winning, but boring if you're not.

My preferred way to play is have a pair of dice for each player so the turns can go as fast as possible.

Also give out $500 or $1000 extra per player along with the 2 free properties from the short game rules.

Get a monopoly as soon as possible and then do whatever you can to get 3 houses. Often, this will make people hold more cash in case they land on your property, preventing them from building up their properties. A good offense is a good defense.

Properties with fastest return on investment:

Attached Files:

5. Bobbtjoe

Bobbtjoe Emperor

6. JohnRM

JohnRM Don't make me destroy you

On the rare occasion that I could find a game, I do play.

It is problematic, at best, finding those willing to participate due to the fact that I rout them at every attempt. I play cut throat and I am shrewd.

7. Bobbtjoe

Bobbtjoe Emperor

Play against the computer. (Sadly, I do own this game and play one match per week :sad:)
    Spoiler :
    The secret character code is spongestar but you can't just type it in, it won't work. Get all of the bonus cards first and then type it in.
    Spoiler :
    There is 12 bonus cards which you unlock throughout the game. You have to use the same profile because that is the only profile that you can unlock it under. (unless the other people unlock them in the other profiles) I think that it is how long you play, and how much money you get that you unlocks bonus cards.

8. JohnRM

JohnRM Don't make me destroy you

That does not matter. The purple properties are more or less useless in the grand scheme of things. Permitted that you obtain one blue property, the other is nice to have, but ultimately unnecessary. In the end, you would like to have one of every property set, setting aside the railroads and utilities. Then you would also like to obtain at least one color set. This typically will not happen with four or more players. So, you will have to negotiate with a player to complete your set. You build up your cash reserves and wait.

You never sell or trade a property to another player unless you have your own set completed, and even then it is not advisable. Preferably, you will have at least two sets of properties wherein you own two of three properties required to complete the set. You then choose the weakest player to trade with. This player must feel as though they are lost and that their situation is near hopeless. They must have a poor cash position.

When you find a player to trade with, you will need to trade for that property that you need to complete your set. You will trade just about whatever you need to this player to get what you want. If you must trade two properties for one then do so, even if this will complete a set for the opposing player. Remember though, this player MUST have a weak cash position. It must either be weak to start or weakened in the process of this trade. In this way, if your cash position is strong, though they too might have a complete set after the trade, you will be the only one with the funds to set up houses and hotels.

By cash position, I speak of what amount of money they might have relative to what property set they might obtain. They must not have enough money to purchase more than half of the homes that you will place on yours. It is preferable that they might not have enough to purchase more than one home per property.

Once this trade is complete. You should have a complete set with enough cash to set up houses or hotels, with enough left over to survive landing on the most expensive rental property on the board, aside from your own, at least once. If the rent of the most expensive property is $1,000, then you must have at least that amount left over after setting up houses. It is preferable to have twice that amount.

The remaining two or more players will be put into a bind. They have no complete set of properties (hopefully) but they might have strong cash positions. This will make them more amiable to a trade with better terms than would have otherwise been possible prior to your first trade. Use this opportunity, if necessary, to strengthen your cash position by selling inconsequential properties or if you must sell them a property that will complete for them a set, then make it expensive. You must weaken their cash position to the point that establishment of houses or hotels will be impossible. Do this with both players. At all times, you must strengthen or keep strong your cash position whilst weakening others'.

In the end, you want your property set with many homes and a strong cash position. Others may have a complete set, but ensure that they have a weak cash position. With four players, it will only be a matter of two or three turns before someone lands on your expensive properties and owes you a handsome sum. Accept additional properties to complete another set if your cash position remains strong enough and build more homes rather than accepting cash outright. It is best to take two properties aside from each other to increase the probability of an opposing player landing on one of them.

Finally, to make the game interesting and for you to entice players into playing with spirit, you might bet on the game, requiring a buy-in from each player. If you convince your opponents to do this, then you have the additional option of 'buying out' weaker players when the time is right. For example, if you were to find yourself with a strong cash position and the most property sets and there is a player with a weak cash position and a property set, you might agree to split the winnings with them (at your discretion) if they might withdraw. This is especially useful if that player is about to roll the dice and might have a good chance of landing on another opponent's property. Instead of chancing that your other opponent might be strengthened by the demise of another, buy out the former opponent and strengthen yourself.

That is my tutorial, for the day.

9. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

You can make your own Chance and Community Chest cards here.

10. PiMan

PiMan Deity

The last time I played monopoly, my friends had decided on some rather annoying house rules. Just as they are about to land on my property and lose much of their money (including mortgaging lots of stuff), they'd sell everything they have, including their money, to someone else for a dollar. So a hotel on the square before GO, and all I'd get is a dollar.

11. say1988

say1988 Deity

Typically when I played, nobody would get a set, the properties would be fairly evenly distributed and nobody would be willing to let anybody else have a set even if it would get them one. So everybody keeps on slowly building up their cash supply until someone gets sick of it and quits.

12. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

yeah sounds like my games

13. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

14. Earthling

Earthling Deity

Is this the second thread on this today-maybe this was moved from another forum? Somehow it's missing a substantial OP/some relevant and interesting discussion but whatever.

Anyway, in my opinion Monopoly is a quite poor game that isn't very fun on an adult level. The basic rules, without radical changes which to most people wouldn't make it "Monopoly" anymore tend to result in two things from my experience. The first is a perpetual stalemate - since the game is nonzero sum, it's very easy for players to keep on passing GO forever, never having to pay out more than they pay in, from stubborn players or simply luck. You have to force people to gamble to break out of this either with additional rules or you just end up with a game that never finishes and no one wants to do so either. The other result, which isn't really much better, is you get a game with a coalition of players from the start, making the game an almost guaranteed loss for some and not good socially or competitively. In other words, players who know each other/are on better terms tend to just gang up from the start and conspire to crowd anyone else out - simply put, you double your chances to get monopolies with more players. This seems to be the norm for the typical "family" game from anyone I've ever heard and usually doesn't work out for the better, even if nobody gets annoyed enough to breed future resentment.

tl;dr Monopoly is poor game design and very boring -it's not even good for kids because they often won't follow the rules or pay attention for long enough for even a reasonable game (couple of hours.) A perfect example of American incompetence and cheap culture - find something better to play.

15. PiMan

PiMan Deity

Monopoly is zero-sum, it is just that part of the sum starts in the bank. And after the first half hour or so, it is unlikely that every player will consistently profit every lap. It is likely they will have to pay more than 200 over the course of a lap.

16. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

I agree, Monopoly is a terrible board game. There are sooooo many better, more interesting, more balanced, and less luck-based board games out there than Monopoly.

17. Lord Baal

Lord Baal Deity

I used to play it when I was younger, but haven't in a long time. I wouldn't mind having a game if the opportunity came up, but I'm not going looking for it. I was a decent player, not great. I think I'd be much better now, as I'm older and wiser, but my sister's too old for it, my brothers are only interested in video games and scooters, and my girlfriend and roommate would so effortlessly kill me at this, as in every other board game, that it's no fun playing with them.

At least they wouldn't beat me as convincingly as they do at chess, but it would still be humiliating. I used to play my girlfriend when we were both still in primary school, and she destroyed me.

18. dido

dido Prince

the house rule among my group of friends: if you step on your own property, you can build 1 building on it. It makes the game faster and more fun

the best win i have had was stepping on the second most expensive property before I even past Go for the first time and then got a chance card that sent me to the most expensive property shortly after that. I ended up having bought only 3 properties and KO 2 players before anyone even got a chance to get a house

19. Wong512

Wong512 Chieftain

Ive played Monopoly since i was small, 7 years old, and from there i've observed many things about the game monopoly. I would play a game if opportunity permits.

Monopoly to me is a very very interesting game, pitting players to bet and fight each other in high depth, like a game of poker. The game is of course very much more in depth than its surface, it was interesting for me to observe the kind of characteristics employed by certain people when playing. The conditions of play for monopoly although simple on the outset creates a model to observe very interesting settings.

And i dont think i need to explain its obvious, although loose, reflection of how a real market works :crazyeye:

20. say1988

say1988 Deity

It is also very likely that you will be receiving a considerable portion of what each player pays out. So if you have four players, on average breaking even playing 200, then you are earning all rent as profit.
    The only really expensive square being the Luxury Tax if nobody can achieve a monopoly, and by going the 10% route, it isn't a threat if you start running low on money, leaving Luxury tax the biggest threat at $75.