1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Monsoon Jungle as always is overpowered

Discussion in 'Alpha Centauri' started by Disgustipated, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Started another game on a higher difficulty level after completing my Gaians game. Back in the day Thinker games weren't too bad for me, but I'm quite rusty. Anyways this is Librarian which should be Even Steven, but when the AI (Free Drones) start in the Monsoon Jungle it hardly seems even steven to me.

I'm playing the Spartans and already subjugated two factions (Hive and Peacekeepers), you'd think I'd be on top in score, but of course the Free Drones in the jungle are above me, and have quite a large army at that. I don't think I can take them right now. I'm probably going to abandon this game even though I could probably beeline air power and take them out. They've managed to push back my army with 5 strength attack units.

The main question is there any way to edit out the monsoon jungle or modify the values to balance this terrain feature? It's far too overpowered in my opinion. Otherwise I find myself restarting games where I start near the jungle. I know editing the files is quite easy, I did it 18 years ago. I'm just wondering what is a good way to balance this?

2. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I couldn't really find it in the files, but I didn't comb through them in detail. I mostly saw the faction files, but it may be in there somewhere. Just having a terrain feature that is so powerful, even when unimproved seems overpowered.

Started another game as Free Drones on the same diff. level, crushed that game. I figure if you can't beat them, play as them. Free Drones seem so much more powerful than Spartans. I still feel like Spartans need a buff. They are hard to play. I still had an enemy AI settle the monsoon jungle, but thankfully they did not start there. They started on the Uranium flats and eventually settled Monsoon Jungle. They were hard to deal with until I got Fusion power, as my Chaos needlejets weren't quite getting it done.

3. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

Just to let you know, I'm looking for a way to eliminate the Monsoon Jungle but am having trouble getting it to work.

4. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

The following technique seems to remove the Jungle, although you might find it inconvenient:

1. Start a new game.
    2. Open the Scenario Editor with Ctrl-K. This will reveal the entire map and all factions, but we'll handle that as described later.
    3. Find the Jungle. It may not be present on all maps.
    4. Right-click on one of the Jungle tiles and select Move cursor to here.
    5. From the Menu, select Edit Map.
    6. Select Remove natural Landmark.
    7. Select Monsoon Jungle. Doing so should remove the Jungle. In one case I had to repeat these steps, probably because the Jungle was so large.
    8. Go back to Edit map and save the map with a name such as No_Jungle1.
    9. Repeat these steps if you wish to have more than one map with no Jungle.
    10. Start a new game and select Load map file.

Select the map you saved (or one of the maps).

You now should have a map with no Jungle, but the entire map isn't revealed. Please let me know if you have any questions. Hope this helps.

yeehi likes this.
  5. Volcanon

Volcanon Warlord

Don't worry too much about score. The AI in production civ spams weak units. Get air power and blow them away.
    The jungle is amazing for making big cities. But those cities aren't necessarily all that strong. The crater is probably more useful for getting wonders and spamming jets and helicopters.

yeehi likes this.