Montezuma goes embarrassingly nuts!

FarbroBarbro

Chieftain
Hello there everyone!

I'm new on the forums, I have played the game for about a month now. I'm starting to get the hang of it, I love it! :)

I've recently moved up to Noble in difficulty, I am now playing as England with Victoria (awesome leader). I've grown fairly big, I have about seven wealthy cities. I recently started churning out Redcoats, ahh, gotta love them.

I am good friends with everyone on the map except Pacal II and Montezuma. I don't really care about Pacal II, he is locked down by my big ally, Mehmed II.

I share borders with Montezuma, and since he almost always is furious on me, I have stationed troops all along the borders. Montezuma has a crippled empire of four medium large cities, and is quite far behind me, military tech wise.

Peaceful rebuilding and economy recovery does not seem to be in his book, as he once again declares war on me although he should have learned his lesson way back, I was the one who crippled him TWICE before. :lol: Instead of living a bit longer, he chooses to make me ground him to dust entirely.

I certainly do not have the same experience on this subject as you guys do, therefore I ask: Is Montezuma always the grand nutjob?

PS. I hate his psychopathic smile, he even has it when he is furious. DS

I certainly do not have the same experience on this subject as you guys do, therefore I ask: Is Montezuma always the grand nutjob?

In a word, yes ;)

Yep, that's Monty. He's always like that. It's his niche. You'll learn others as you go along... Isabella is a (well, the original) religion nutjob who will nail you to a cross without fail if you aren't her religion... Tokugawa is a ridiculous isolationist... Mansa Musa is aa freakish tech-whore... Gandhi is a total sissy. Those aren't all of them, but suffice to say, there are a few quirky characters out there.

Yep, that's Monty. He's always like that. It's his niche. You'll learn others as you go along... Isabella is a (well, the original) religion nutjob who will nail you to a cross without fail if you aren't her religion... Tokugawa is a ridiculous isolationist... Mansa Musa is aa freakish tech-whore... Gandhi is a total sissy. Those aren't all of them, but suffice to say, there are a few quirky characters out there.

Ahh, I see. Then I know. Anyway, he won't bother me more this round of the game. Yeah, I noticed Isabella is a real Taliban, therefore I switched to her religion, Buddhism, we get along great. :king:

You know, that's the beauty of the religion nutjobs, Isabella and Justinian... If you switch to their religion, they are almost guaranteed to like you... If you switch to their favorite religion and civic, they're almost guaranteed to LOVE you. They are controllable. Sure, they're even worse than Monty when you aren't kissing their arses, but you always have that option...

Anyways, enjoy your Civving, and don't go to war with Churchill if you don't have to ;)

Ghandi is great to have around. He'll ask you for techs, and you can just refuse without any negative diplomacy modifiers. Last game with him, I refused all 20 or so requests throughout the entire game and he stayed at full green. How realistic. :p

Ghandi is great to have around. He'll ask you for techs, and you can just refuse without any negative diplomacy modifiers. Last game with him, I refused all 20 or so requests throughout the entire game and he stayed at full green. How realistic. :p

Hahaha! Good to have some sissy boys around as well. Does he give in to tech demands easily as well?

Hahaha! Good to have some sissy boys around as well. Does he give in to tech demands easily as well?

Hmm. Perhaps. There is a formula for how often the AI will gift or give in to tech demands. I don't do it enough; even to those friendly with me, but I imagine some will give more in certain situations (for example, the AI might give you a larger tech should they be pacifistic like Ghandi, while Montezuma just doesn't care about your demands).

I forgot the numbers, but you can ask for either tribute or a gift from someone you're far more powerful than or someone you're in good relations with every few turns. I think I heard 20 turns, but don't quote me on that.

The best part about Justin and Izzy is they become YOUR war dogs. Same thing with Tokugawa--if you become his friend, he'll be YOUR war dog. Basically get Justin and Izzy on your side and same religion as you, and you're set for the game. Trade them so they're never more than 2 generations of military behind you--keep them useful. There are a few nutjob leaders--Monty always wants to war with the player, so you can be +20 and Friendly and Monty will attack you just like you were -20 and Furious. Monty knows no bounds--most players just want to kill him on first sight. If I am so unlucky to get him as my neighbor, my first job is build up a defense force. My second job is extort techs until he declares war. My third job is eradicate Monty from the map. Since the AI doesn't seem fond of very early wars, an early warrior in lower difficulties can rid yourself of a neighbor.

The best part about Justin and Izzy is they become YOUR war dogs. Same thing with Tokugawa--if you become his friend, he'll be YOUR war dog. Basically get Justin and Izzy on your side and same religion as you, and you're set for the game. Trade them so they're never more than 2 generations of military behind you--keep them useful. There are a few nutjob leaders--Monty always wants to war with the player, so you can be +20 and Friendly and Monty will attack you just like you were -20 and Furious. Monty knows no bounds--most players just want to kill him on first sight. If I am so unlucky to get him as my neighbor, my first job is build up a defense force. My second job is extort techs until he declares war. My third job is eradicate Monty from the map. Since the AI doesn't seem fond of very early wars, an early warrior in lower difficulties can rid yourself of a neighbor.

Very rarely you can get a free kill on higher difficulties. I saw Pacal's borders in the fog with two warriors one square further from them than I was. Goodbye Pacal!

The best part about Justin and Izzy is they become YOUR war dogs. Basically get Justin and Izzy on your side and same religion as you, and you're set for the game. Trade them so they're never more than 2 generations of military behind you--keep them useful.

Haha, yeah, I have recently discovered just that. I can now easily pay Isabella an old military tech to make her erase close threats. I love teaming up with her against other, lonely nations. We become pretty damn strong.

Gotta love the diplomacy mechanisms in this game. It is simply phenomenal.

I love warrior kills. Nothing beats catching the AI with its pants down.

The funny thing bout monty is historically he was killed for being to soft...

Many of the AIs have a very recognisable personality...

Catherine is extremely untrustworthy... for the right offer, she will do anything to anyone. Suryavarman is a pain: He likes to war, but can't be pushed to wars you want. Joao is a miserly, sneaky, needy jerk.
Oh, and exterminate the French on sight. Believe me, the planet will be better off.

Catherine is extremely untrustworthy... for the right offer, she will do anything to anyone. Suryavarman is a pain: He likes to war, but can't be pushed to wars you want. Joao is a miserly, sneaky, needy jerk.
Oh, and exterminate the French on sight. Believe me, the planet will be better off.

And Isabella cheats to get Buddhism. :mad:

Joao is thoroughly hateful. I don't know if I've played a game with him in it where he didn't try multiple--and idiotic sneak attacks. At least Monty is suicidally insane--my last game, Joao declares war 2 turns after making a large (about 8 resource) trade agreement with me. I was suddenly nervous and went about seeing where his fleet was. He ends up, despite not having totally inferior tech, landing a total army of two catapults next to a rifleman (which was at the time a lone defender of a major city and could have been victim to an even slightly competent sneak attack). Then he doesn't do anything and still refused to sign white peace at -10 war spoils our relationship. I ended up giving him 20 gold just so I could try to make a defensive pact against someone worthwhile.

Ahh, I see. Then I know. Anyway, he won't bother me more this round of the game. Yeah, I noticed Isabella is a real Taliban, therefore I switched to her religion, Buddhism, we get along great. :king:

Haha, same here. I moved up to Prince difficulty and thought 'Hey for my first time.. I'm doin' great!' Then I realised it's probably only because 6 of the 9 civilizations happen to have the same religion as me, and we get along like apple pie.

Top Bottom