[R&F] Montezuma's Agenda - How does it work?

Hello everyone,

Just as the name of the thread suggests, how exactly does Montezuma's Leader Agenda function?

I understand that you need to have the same luxury resources as he does, but what does that mean exactly? If I sell him luxuries will that make him happier? Or do traded luxuries even count? Also what about luxuries you get from City States?

All luxuries that are a part of your pool count, I think. I don't believe traded luxuries count though, just the ones you've hooked up yourself. The agenda never triggered for me when I traded luxes, so...

That said, the penalty is really small, it's only -6 which is peanuts.

If you hook up a lux and trade it away, then does Monty still dislike you? (Even if you trade it to Monty?)

Monty's positive modifier triggers there are zero luxes that you have and he doesn't. So, if you share all of your luxes, the will like you (same if he has more than you do). Note that owning ONE lux he doesn't have access to will instantly trigger the negative modifier.

I've had luxuries Monty apparently doesn't have yet he didn't call me out on it. I assume he got the luxury from another Civ? Paying gold for it.

My understanding is that if he has access to all luxuries you have, he will like you more. If you have a single luxury that he does not have access to, he will like you less. This would imply that if you trade one of the copies of a resource to him and keep a second for yourself, this should qualify as a positive modifier. Since the map usually distributes luxuries with large lumps of the same type in localized areas, my strategy has been to trade the first copy that I improve to Monty and quickly improve a second for myself.

There are several problems with this. First, if you become suzerein of a city-state and get luxuries from them, he will dislike you. This is why it's really annoying that you can't trade copies obtained from city-states to others- if they happen to have multiple copies you can't benefit in any way, and if those copies are the only ones you have access to, Monty will dislike you. From experience, I'm pretty sure this also applies to unique luxuries (Zanzibar.) Second, you get a pop-up warning message from him the instant you improve the resource, not at the end of the turn like all other warnings. This would seem to imply that the modifier is activated before you could possibly trade it to him- you can't trade it before it is improved and he doesn't give you an opportunity to do so before the pop-up.Third, unless you have a user interface that notifies you when deals have expired, you need to remember the turn that your deals with him expire so you can renew the deals. Even then, I'm pretty certain that it's like the second problem I mentioned- when the turn begins, the negative modifier will be activated before you have a chance to trade with him. Fourth, while you'd often try to increase your amenity base by trading for luxuries with other civs, you will receive a negative modifier with Monty if he isn't also trading for that luxury, and you can't prompt him to trade for it, even if the third party has extra copies.

All that said, I think @Lord Lakely has a point about how negligible the modifier is. I've had games where I've relentlessly ensured that he has access to every single luxury that I had, and he hated me anyway. I've also had games where II ignored this aspect of his traits altogether, and we were two peas in a pod.

Top Bottom