Montezuma's stack of death... sleeping

maltz

King
In my current game, I got a holy city of Buddhism from Ghandi. After spreading Buddha's teaching to Cologne (Bismark), I noticed Montezuma's stack of death waiting at the border.

monty_stack.jpg

I thought "Oh oh Bismark is in deep trouble this time." However, turn after turn Monty did nothing. Monty is Cautious with Bismark and Bismark is Annoyed by Monty, so they don't have Open Border.

I guess the stack is intended to go somewhere else, but blocked by the closed border. If that's true, I am very likely the target because my weak military (protected by Saladin, Isabella and Bismark, can't ask for more!)

I then try to find some other victim of the stack. I bribed Mansa Musa to attack Monty. The war has been about 10 turns now... and that stack never moved and Monty just let Mansa Musa pillage his land like crazy.

That's some really bad AI... :p

Monty is waiting.

Usually he'll wait until someone declares war on Bismarck before he'll make his move, even if his army is sufficiently large.

So hes probably just waiting to make his move. Wait a few more turns, you'll see.

You should be able to bribe Bismark into a war with monty so the stack will eighter be attacked or will attack.
As it is now I would be annoyed by the bad AI by monty.
I wish the AI were better in this game.

OK... I have waited 500 hundred more years and Monty's stack is still there -- and he has added more troops! It now has some longbowmen in there! And he is still in war with Mansa Musa -- plus MM has captured one of his cities in the back! I don't know what went wrong in Monty's head. With this stack he can demolish Mansa Musa, well actually any Civ in the game.

In an earlier save I bribed Bismark to declare war to Monty. In the next turn Bismark's city was captured, and Monty still gets this full stack. :p

Since Monty is stronger than Bismark and he is not one of my friends in this game, I reloaded and didn't let Bismark commit suicide.

I wish to confront this stack myself sooner or later. Now I am about to charge up my military to 100% production and take on Saladin. Then I will be in good shape to fight Monty's stack, probably with a stack of Infantry + cannon + cavalry. :D

That AI is exteremly disapointing. I mean after 4 Civilization games, haven't they worked out how to get around such a simple glitch as this? I hope it doesnt happen often.

-Ardinius

Well personally I love watching the AI commit suicide!
So far in my playing, I haven't seen the computer create any stacks of doom and then just let them sit there outside a city...I wonder what is going on.

I would attack the stack after I had artillery or aircraft, then no prob.
:nuke: mabe nuke it!

Later on I built military like crazy, and took on Saladin. Just to avoid Monty's stack suddenly march to my way, I bribed my friend Bismark, who has quite a large army by that time, to declare war on Monty.

Again, Bismark's little border city goes down next turn. However, Monty's entire stack DISAPPEARED after it went south for a few turns. I didn't follow it closely, but it seems to have crumbled when attacking a 60% defense Bismark city with a few longbow man. That's not surprising. Fortunately Monty did not upgrade them to maceman (Deity game, he can upgrade all of them with one turn's income!) Bismark was doing well in the war. He captured one of Monty's cities but lost it back. Exactly what I want -- a war going no where with losses on both sides. :p

Now Mansa Musa is still at war with Monty, but MM lost a city to Monty just by the new troops Monty produced, and that city culture flipped to English, which is in term destroyed by Saladin, which is bribed by me. Saladin marched his stack of death (a lot of maceman) away, so I had a pleasure of taking his rather defense-less back. :p

The AI can be completely bonkers sometimes--recent game marathon / huge / continents/ agressive AI-- me monarch all AI noble, I found myself on a largish continent alone, with only 2 "happiness resources". I kept my cities happy with monarchy and military rule plus Christianity, and went for and got an early astronomy..

And NO-ONE would trade anything with me, so using my 25 cities to build a huge army, I picked a random target who had a large number of resources, and it turned out to be Spain.

I spent almsot 150 years (at 2 years per turn) building nothing but troops and then sent them abroad...30 galleons all full with a mixture of knights , macemen, longbows, pikemen and catapults, and landed them in three places to simultaneously attack 3 cities, and holding my breath pressed the end turn button.

And nothing happened..I wasnt attacked even though Izzy had at least 4 cats in each city to be attacked next turn.

Huh? Did the AI panic and freeze up in fear? If a stack of 30 units (in 3 seperate places) isnt what cats were designed to counter, what is?

By not attacking immediately, the AI preserved my huge shock stack attack advantage, and I quite easily took all her 12 cities, and then had troops left to beat Saladin up for whinging about me attacking "she was my fwend"--slap the heathen...in fact the only attacks on the stacks were when they were split up and somewhat smaller...

Ive really started to think that the AI in civ 3 (in battle terms) was actually better at fighting a war...oh well...thats off my chest..

It is really a disappointment when you think: "I am having a high difficulty game, so its challenging...suddenly to find out I can win blind-folded." :cool: Too bad they just let it idle, or throw it away to hard brick wall. Where are their catapults? :(

Yet it is still cool to see the AIs making a huge stack like that. :)

Top Bottom