1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

months of strategic games

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ArataWata11, Jun 5, 2013.

1. ArataWata11

ArataWata11 Chieftain

Wow how am I going to manage my time this coming 3 months? I'm sure, it will be another sleepless night and rarely seen the light of day.

not to mention this month COH2 release, also my favorite rts game

by july 12, CiV BNW
    by august 13, EUIV
    by september 03, TWR2

I assumed that you guys also fanatic of EU and TW series. how would you manage your time playing these great games. considering that theyll going to be released less than a month in between. will you prefer to spend time more on BNW? :crazyeye:

2. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I hear you, Im expecting all of those releases, and as of right now, CK2 The Old Gods is making the wait for BNW that much more bearable.

3. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

I can't wait for Rome 2. I never get how to play Paradox games so I'm not excited for EUIV

4. Tinker

Tinker Prince

Fourth game: Strategic time planning

5. Luckystrike77

Luckystrike77 Prince

Just pre-ordered all 3 but BNW. For some reason I can't find it at Steam yet. These 3 games will be real masterpieces of strategy, can't wait. I will take out alot of holiday these 3 months, and at least one week after each release.

6. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

The hardest of them all

7. Scarpa

Scarpa Prince

I'm terrible at that game. My wife is Deity+ level and my kids' calendars have massive ZOC.

8. HipNozY

HipNozY Chieftain

Is EUIII worth a shot? Or Its better to wait for EUIV? I didn't play any. I just watched some videos os the youtube about EUIII and some preview of EUIV, and It seems very cool!:goodjob:

But It will be hard to manage the time... one game per weekend I guess :p

9. Rick80

Rick80 Chieftain

This is good strategy game summer. **

10. Haig

Haig Deity

What's COH2? :)

11. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Emperor

My girlfriend will be out of town from June 9 through June 30, I really wish BNW would come out before she leaves, not after she comes back..

12. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

Can someone please tell me what all these abbreviations mean?

I obviously know BNW, but I don't play the other games

13. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

Europa Universalis IV
    Rome Total War 2
    Crusader Kings 2: the Old Gods

Now if we could just get an expansion for XCOM enemy unknown this would be a banner year.

14. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

this year is good for PC strategy games. (Also Age of Wonders 3)

15. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

Which one of these titles would you recommend?

Something with the gameplay depth of Civ 5: BNW, but also the aesthetic and historical bells and whistles that help keep the immersion

16. kingchris20

kingchris20 Wisdom Seeker

Resident of Heaven; Currently in the Waiting Room
    :lol:

17. DeathGOD1235

DeathGOD1235 Chieftain

Definetily I would go with Europa Universalis IV. This game depth is HUGE comparing with the other games mentioned but at the same time it's really easy to learn how to play it.
    Just take a look at the dev diaries and you'll see what I mean

Also it's good to remember that Wargame: Airland Battle was released not too long ago (last month I think) and Planetary Annihilation will be released in December (And by the looks of it, both are awesome RTS games). A great year for strategy games indeed! :goodjob:

18. Chris Hill

Chris Hill Warlord

Total Wars and EU are different from Civ and in different ways.

In EU III or IV, you are looking at a detailed model of the world from around 1400AD to 1800AD, depending on versions and expansions. It is effectively a RTS system, though you can slow it down and stop it. You are expected to make your changes on the go and respond to events from other countries. It includes ALL countries, at a detailed level - so Germany is a mass of small principalities. It also has HRE and the Vatican. You do not have to run a European country - you can be Arabic, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Indonesian, African, American etc. and probably as a small 'tribe', but your technology may be lower that for Europe. There are a massive collection of settings you can set, at periods, for your country which control how your country and technology will operate. War and battles are automatically operated. It tries to mimic the reality that actually happened. Great if you like micro-management and a long playing time.

TW has a similar time period, so Rome 2 will run from 300BC to 300AD?. You have a much reduced area, like the Roman Empire and its neighbours, and much less settings you can manage. Its gain is how you play battles. You have the option to manually control your army on a playing field against your enemy. You can control who to attack and how; it is your choice and you can watch your units being killed or not.

So three different ways of what is basically the same exercise. It really depends on how you like to play. I found it difficult with EUIII, but I really like Civ and TW.

19. JSMCAG

JSMCAG King

HA! :lol: Now THAT'S a laugh!
    If learning curve is an issue, then Crusader Kings II is preferable to Europa Universalis, as the latter a MUCH HARSHER learning curve than the former - and the former is not exactly easy-peasy either!
    Now, granted, I have yet to give my free copy of EUIII a serious look, as time as been short lately, but from the time I had with it, I would say CKII is both easier to get the hang of, and more fun to play as well - the fact that you play as a dynasty, instead of a nation, helps a lot in this regard.

The two games are similar in some aspects otherwise, but Crusader Kings II is more focused in interpersonal relationships between you, your dynasty, your vassals, your liege, and other rulers. It also covers a different time period - from 1066 (867 if you have the latest expansion) to late 1400's - and you can only play in Europe (plus a bit of the surrounding lands, like North Africa and Middle East).

In the end, I agree this becomes a choice of what you prefer (the Middle Ages or the Renascence? etc...etc..), but if you are a newcomer to Paradox's Grand-Strategy Games, then Crusader Kings II is possibly the better choice! :king: Certainly give both of them a chance though! There's demos in the Store Page (or, alternatively, their official page), and they go on sale frequently! :D

20. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

I would rate it like this. Difficulty: Civ5 (King maybe Emperor) < CK2 < EU3