months of strategic games

If learning curve is an issue, then Crusader Kings II is preferable to Europa Universalis

The reason most people say CKII is easier to learn than EUIII it's because of the interface. EUIII is kind of old and have a clunky interface and some unintuitive mechanics, while CKII has a much improved interface, with everything easily displayed when needed, which will also be the case with EUIV.

I agree with the learning curve though. For exemple, in civ the early game isn't underwhelming because you only have only one city and a handful options for what to build. In EUIV case, depending on which country you choose, it can be really overwhelming because of the amount of things use have to micromanage before the game even unpauses! (protip: It's not a good idea to play as Russia in your first game :crazyeye:)

The reason most people say CKII is easier to learn than EUIII it's because of the interface. EUIII is kind of old and have a clunky interface and some unintuitive mechanics, while CKII has a much improved interface, with everything easily displayed when needed, which will also be the case with EUIV.

I agree with the learning curve though. For exemple, in civ the early game isn't underwhelming because you only have only one city and a handful options for what to build. In EUIV case, depending on which country you choose, it can be really underwhelming because of the amount of things use have to micromanage before the game even unpauses! (protip: It's not a good idea to play as Russia in your first game :crazyeye:)

I'll assume you're trying to say "overwhelming"! :lol:
Yes, due to the historical start, it's possible to start with too much in your hands - going for a smaller place (Ireland or Mali in Crusader Kings II) helps you get the hang of the game more easily as you don't have as much to deal with.

I have no idea where to start in EUIII (or EUIV, for that matter) though... I haven't had any serious playthrough, but I did mess around as Portugal, Castilla and England - but even then I managed to feel overwhelmed and never played for too long... :sad:
For when I finally have the time to play a serious game, which country do you suggest for me? :)

For those of you wanting to make the jump into EUIII, here's how I learned: http://lparchive.org/Europa-Universalis-III-Divine-Wind/ I recommend reading the Spanish Empire walkthrough in its entirety before playing, then keeping it (and the slightly outdated wiki) around for reference while you play. This worked wonders for me, and for the others I've turned on to playing the game. You'll have the general concepts down, then you can just pause and check the guides when something new confuses you.

As for the sentiments of the thread in general, I completely agree, what a fantastic time this is for great strategy games. It's going to be so difficult to split my time between them.

I've never heard of the Europa Universa Games. They do look amazingly complicated. Its such a shame that I lost my job recently and won't be able to check it out. I do love the Total War series, and hate that I will miss out on Rome II initially. Luckily, I have some money tied up in preorders at game stop that I can cancel and turn into a steam card to get BNW. Hopefully I will find a job soon to pick up the fall games I want.

For those of you wanting to make the jump into EUIII, here's how I learned: http://lparchive.org/Europa-Universalis-III-Divine-Wind/ I recommend reading the Spanish Empire walkthrough in its entirety before playing, then keeping it (and the slightly outdated wiki) around for reference while you play. This worked wonders for me, and for the others I've turned on to playing the game. You'll have the general concepts down, then you can just pause and check the guides when something new confuses you

One hundred times this. That guide is great and explains everything in a easy to understand way for anyone interested in trying EUIII. It helped me a lot when I started playing it. This is what I did: I would read the guide a bit, then try to accomplish what he did in game, then read a bit more and go back to the game and so on.

I assumed that you guys also fanatic of EU and TW series.

You assumed it right.

In fact, I think the ultimate strategy game would be a game with the politic and diplomatic system of EU and the batles of TW!

EU is my favorite paradox game, and Rome is my favourite TW.
Like an expansion with my country on it wasn't enough to shift my attention.

This has been the year of the strategy game. There has already been a HOMM expansion and FE Legendary heroes. Plus they teased a XCOM expansion at PAX. Considering how well that game did it must be on the way, could be out by end of the year.

Can someone please tell me what all these abbreviations mean?

I obviously know BNW, but I don't play the other games

EUIV: Europa Universalis IV. A heavily-detailed historical sandbox game in the vein of Crusader Kings 2 (CK2) and, well, Europa Universalis III. Never really got into them; I prefer challenges to emerge (or not) organically from a game with set victory conditions as I play (such as "I don't need to do this to win, but I want to destroy this clan that's become my archenemy") rather than having the game force me to choose 'roleplaying' victory conditions.

TWR2: Total War: Rome 2. Billed as the biggest and best yet - what we've seen of the tactical battles looks hardly different from what we've seen eight times before, but the campaign map (which we haven't yet seen in action) promises a lot more, including tantalising hints of a 'cultural victory' condition, and it's replete with factions (12 playable from the start including the preorder DLC, more certain to be added as DLC down the line). It's the game I'm most looking forward to this year.

CoH2: Company of Heroes 2. The sequel to (as developers Relic like to loudly and repeatedly remind everyone) the highest-rated RTS of all time, and deservedly so. I've barely looked at the beta yet, but it seems very similar to the original although possibly faster-paced and with Russian accents so bad you'll pine for Walter Koenig.

This has been the year of the strategy game. There has already been a HOMM expansion and FE Legendary heroes. Plus they teased a XCOM expansion at PAX. Considering how well that game did it must be on the way, could be out by end of the year.

Also for those not yet bored with its weird "not quite a good RTS but definitely not 4x" hybrid gameplay and predictable AI, Sins of a Solar Empire has just received a new DLC: Forbidden Worlds.

Something with the gameplay depth of Civ 5: BNW, but also the aesthetic and historical bells and whistles that help keep the immersion

Rome 2 is certainly the prettiest, and while the TW developers are not particularly good at historical accuracy (in Rome 2 alone they have apparently already included a faction in Rome 2 with an incorrect capital, and they still have some of the original's anachronistic or just plain silly units) they look as though this time at least they're making a creditable attempt in most regards (the original Rome was by some way the least historically faithful TW game, with countless fictional units, three separate factions representing Rome and, conversely, unified factions representing the entirety of "Britannia", "Gaul" and "Germania"). Strategically it's likely to be not dissimilar to Civ V, and judging by recent releases Total War is following many of the same trends - Shogun 2 took a large leap away from micromanagement, for example.

Total War games do, however, repeatedly play on the same map with largely consistent AI behaviour; in previous releases the strategy layer has been to some degree underdeveloped, and Shogun 2 essentially simplified strategy into "make money, buy army, win", which leads to a fairly consistent tech path to invest first in happiness and repression buildings so you can hike the tax rate, and then to spam units. The actual mechanics of achieving that make the whole more complex than it sounds, but once you've mastered it once you've mastered it a hundred times and you can focus on the main point of the game, which is the tactical warfare. Much of the promise of Rome 2 is that it appears on the face of it to add complexity, with a more developed political system than its namesake and the "cultural victory" hinted by the Greek States DLC description.

You forget about

Wargame Airland Battle - Playing right know, so damn fun
CoH 2 - Comming soon
Old Gods for Crusader kings 2
And Game of thrones mod, getting a big update including Essos, this year

You forget about

Wargame Airland Battle - Playing right know, so damn fun
CoH 2 - Comming soon
Old Gods for Crusader kings 2
And Game of thrones mod, getting a big update including Essos, this year

Tried European Escalation, but it was extremely user-unfriendly and seemed pretty much entirely reliant on multiplayer given the lacklustre AI. I've heard mutterings of a campaign system in Airland Battle - does it have a decent single-player option and/or developed tutorials?

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Having trouble deciding though which one to pick up :crazyeye:

Has anyone tried out those mobile games Firaxis mentioned in the video? (One about zombies or monsters or something, another about planes)

They mentioned how they are closer to Civ 5 than they are to Fruit Ninja in terms of depth and strategy, or something along those lines

Yep looking forward to all of these with much anticipation. I like all forms of strategy games, though getting a bit old and slow for the more intense RTSes. I think my wishlist right now is something along the lines of:

Rome 2 > BNW/AoW3 > EU4 > COH2

The releases so far this year have been good already - don't forget HoTS and Elemental: Legendary Heroes. About to dive into CK2: Old Gods.

There's a bit in this year's releases for everyone:
* if you like a really in-depth grand strategy game with minimal combat, then EU or CK (CK is easier to learn but not as deep)
* if you like the civ formula, then obviously BNW. If you like a bit of a fantasy / magic / rpg twist on it, then Elemental or AoW3
* if you want a well polished real time game focused on the pvp experience, then starcraft or (presumably) CoH2
* if you like a bit of everything like me, then you can't go past total war!

Yep looking forward to all of these with much anticipation. I like all forms of strategy games, though getting a bit old and slow for the more intense RTSes. I think my wishlist right now is something along the lines of:

Rome 2 > BNW/AoW3 > EU4 > COH2

The releases so far this year have been good already - don't forget HoTS and Elemental: Legendary Heroes. About to dive into CK2: Old Gods.

There's a bit in this year's releases for everyone:
* if you like a really in-depth grand strategy game with minimal combat, then EU or CK (CK is easier to learn but not as deep)
* if you like the civ formula, then obviously BNW. If you like a bit of a fantasy / magic / rpg twist on it, then Elemental or AoW3
* if you want a well polished real time game focused on the pvp experience, then starcraft or (presumably) CoH2
* if you like a bit of everything like me, then you can't go past total war!

I just read on another thread that Distant Worlds has a new expansion as well - there's also an anticipated RTS called Planetary Annihilation due at some stage.

So far I've only played the Heart of the Swarm campaign (which was lacklustre and diverged heavily away from strategy, real-time or otherwise, and from conventional Starcraft, in favour of its hero mechanic) so can't comment on its merits otherwise, but in truth while Starcraft is a lot of fun and can be challenging, I don't feel it belongs in the same list as most of the other mentioned games.

I'm looking forward to Planetary Annihilation. There was a lot of cool stuff thrown around in the kickstarter campaign. I've played Star Drive recently, an Indie Space 4x RTS (even though they call it a TB, its RTS) it was fun and all, but really got me wanting to play Civ for some reason. I also play Endless Space, which is a good 4x TB space game. I haven't played much recently, but I do know the AI was a little on the easy side early on. They have a new expansion coming out in the summer, and the studio has great communication with its fans. One fan made faction was actually voted on and picked and got full treatment. It was included in one of their many free dlc packs. Its a pretty fun game if you like Space Strategy games.

I'm looking forward to Planetary Annihilation. There was a lot of cool stuff thrown around in the kickstarter campaign. I've played Star Drive recently, an Indie Space 4x RTS (even though they call it a TB, its RTS) it was fun and all, but really got me wanting to play Civ for some reason. I also play Endless Space, which is a good 4x TB space game. I haven't played much recently, but I do know the AI was a little on the easy side early on. They have a new expansion coming out in the summer, and the studio has great communication with its fans. One fan made faction was actually voted on and picked and got full treatment. It was included in one of their many free dlc packs. Its a pretty fun game if you like Space Strategy games.

I'm not sure about the space strategy games about at the moment. Endless Space lacks depth, it's too combat-focused, and optimal paths to victory appear to be the same regardless of map layout. But mostly everything about it feels generic - the ship design system, the interface, the cookie-cutter races and hero upgrades - and for me that's a turnoff. The card game combat system isn't bad per se, but is wholly wrong for this style of game. Think back to the great Master of Orion games (the first two); a lot of their appeal boiled down to the ship design system, and the fact that you could play with the ships you designed and see the effects of a black hole generator, or the difference a whole heap of fast little Alkari missile boats could make. None of the current batch of space strategy games succeeds in replicating that feel (combat is automated - without the ability to set different targets for different weapons or systems, or to control ship movement - once you set a target in Distant Worlds, Sins has preset ship designs), and Endless Space misses the point by the widest margin of them all.

Sins of a Solar Empire can be fun for stretches (just tried it again now with the new DLC), but it always feels empty. Superficially it looks as though it has a lot of options and should be a much more complex game than it turns out to be, with most features beyond the typical RTS 'grab resources and spam units' (such as diplomacy, unless diplo victory is turned on, bounties and the culture system) of marginal relevance to actually winning the game (they can make it easier, but are not at all necessary), and too-easy resource substitution that makes planet and resource type almost irrelevant. AI coding also makes it a bad sandbox, since one or other AI (unless manually set to passive personalities) will invariably rush to superweapons and wipe out the competition. I realised Allied Victory On was a bad setting after a 4-way game in which my easily-won ally superweaponed both other powers to death while I was still enjoying good old-fashioned ship-to-starbase beatdowns. It's a great game idea that I want to like more, but it's too fiddly with too many redundant options to be a first-class RTS; too shallow, too combat-focused and with diplomacy too limited to even deserve the name 4x; and too slow for multiplayer while suffering from mediocre AI.

Distant Worlds is brilliant in concept; the public/private division is a stroke of genius that makes it actually feel like running an empire instead of playing god. But it can actually get rather dull and repetitive to play, with no need ever to disable automation for many features in order to play and win, and huge heaps of game-changing randomness introduced first by derelict advanced ships and assorted random events, and later by leaders with pseudo-random characteristics (who can be 'trained' in certain directions, but luck plays a big part in how good they are to begin with) and are a bit too dominating in their effects. I've been told that the new expansion tones down a lot of this, though. The resource system and variety is great in principle, but the fact that no one ever seems to suffer resource shortages regardless of where they settle and set trading posts makes you realise after the first few games that, like a great deal else in the system, the apparent complexity is mostly cosmetic. Great if you want to sandbox as an empire-builder aiming to corner the market on steel, but limited as a playable strategy game. It's fantastic for eXploration and eXpansion, and serviceable for eXtermination (although it offers nothing new in that department), but it may be the first 4x game in which the "eXploit" portion is essentially irrelevant, with money never a limiting factor and resources other than fuel (in the early game) of no particular gameplay importance.

And as a pet thematic bugbear, all of these games (and most space games, such as EVE) persist in using outdated solar system models as the basis for their galaxies, unchanged since MOO and Frontier in the early (pre-Pegasi 51) '90s. I've yet to see a space 4x that attempts to model what we now know of star system formation and exoplanet diversity, which both reduces variety in the types of planets and other celestial objects you can encounter (and thus makes exploration repetitive after a while), and reduces immersion.

Distant Worlds is brilliant in concept; the public/private division is a stroke of genius that makes it actually feel like running an empire instead of playing god.

...but it may be the first 4x game in which the "eXploit" portion is essentially irrelevant, with money never a limiting factor and resources other than fuel (in the early game) of no particular gameplay importance.

That is indeed one of the biggest changes in Shadows; Elliot re-balanced the economy to make every single resource much scarcer, and it has become truly unlikely that you will swim in money in the endgame anymore.

With Company of Heroes 2, followed by Brave New World, followed by Total War: Rome 2, with Crusader Kings 2 sprinkled here and there, as well as more shooty/actiony fares like The Last of Us and Grand Theft Auto V, it's going to be TOUGH making room in terms of both finances and time, but boy is it a good time to be an avid gamer.

Rome II comes out just after my birthday (and my thesis should be submitted by then), so I'll probably pre-order that. I'm not that fussed about EUIV. I'll probably wait until my boyfriend gets it and see what he thinks. He's a good judge of games. And I have very little money :(

Top Bottom