1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

months of strategic games

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ArataWata11, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Luckystrike77

Luckystrike77 Prince

I can also warmly recommend Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes for those strategy hungry people here eagerly awaiting the other strategy pearls of 2013.

2. Luckystrike77

Luckystrike77 Prince

What we need is Galactiv Civilizations 3. There are some well founded rumours arround that it might be in development.

3. JSMCAG

JSMCAG King

:eek: Where did you see that? I loved Galactic Civilizations II (even though I unfortunately haven't gave it the amount of time it deserves yet... :sad:), that would be sooooo awesome! :D

4. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

What we need is Master of Orion 4 - and a return to the TBS style of MOO2 with it.

I have GalCiv II but haven't played it to see what the fuss is about; I was hoping for a quick start to get me learning the system, but the "you MUST customise your race, even if it's a preset named race" is a big turn-off. I actually hate customisable races in games like this - so much of what I want in a game like this boils down to immersion, and in fictional universes where the only information you typically have on the races is their suites of characteristics rather than more than the most cursory backstory, set race traits are needed to 'ground' the setting and give an idea of who's what beyond "this is the archetypal alien horde, this is the archetypal psionic race, these are the MOO knockoffs". I can't have the same sense of who the mix-n-match Endless Space races are, for example (where even the set races are derived from a pool of generic characteristics) I can for MOO's Sakkra, Alkari, Darloks or Bulrathi.

I do like the touch of having a planetary map (and the real solar system, minus for some reason Venus, if playing as a human) though.

5. Luckystrike77

Luckystrike77 Prince

This thread fuels the speculation:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/445174/page/1/#replies

And also this thread somehow:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/444918/page/1/#3367834

To me GalCiv2 is the ultimate in fun and challenging Space Strategy so far, and I also think it's the best selling game of Stardock ever. It's indeed the time for a follow up. Stardock has also increased their game staff tremendously the last year, and now have 4 new secret projects under development.

6. ArataWata11

ArataWata11 Chieftain

Total War Rome 2 will rule them all! here's the new campaign map trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zQIFpmdPDc&feature=youtu.be :eek:

I really like the graphic details of the egyptian 3 pyramids and alexandria city. hope they featured all the ancient wonders still existed in that time period. just like in Rome TW. also like to see the return of city viewing. :crazyeye:

one thing that catches my attention was the graphic representation of the campaign map settlement or city. seems huge to me, I think it covers lot of space on the map. :clap:

7. bagas12

bagas12 Chieftain

I agree its hard to understand the game, but the tutorials in this new one is rather good, at least for me, i love multi games, and Airland Battle really shine in it, but the campaign is fun, but nothing special.

I would recomend to everyone, but if you wont play multi, you will lose a big part of it

8. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Those splendid Croats at 2x2 Games are going to favour us with the Unity of Command 1941 campaign and announce a new project this summer.

What an amazingly bad time to become a father, eh?

9. s0nny80y

s0nny80y Emperor

Wargame: AirLand Battle

I very much enjoyed European Escalation (predecessor) but the leaning curve is steep...the interface is dandy but the tactical strategic aspect is daunting.

I am entirely for TW Rome 2 btw...Shogun 2 R&F sounds tempting to start up again but alas G&K's and the upcoming BNW caught me in their throes.

10. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I have GalCiv2 but I don't play it; the feature list looks great, but it doesn't come together as an enjoyable game; the pacing is terrible and it just bores me to tears. It's so sad that so many clones of Master or Orion can all fail so miserably.

Age of Wonders is 98% a direct clone of Master of Magic, but it works beautifully. I wish there were a counterpart for MOO. (Glares at Firaxis)

11. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

GalCiv2 is the only space 4x I have enjoyed at all, personally. I missed MOO2 because I didn't game much back in the days when it came out and it's so dated graphically I haven't been able to get into it.

12. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

I just don't understand that. It has very nice looking 2D graphics - better looking than a lot of modern 'retro' games.

13. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

One day I'll force myself to play a full game - after the transitionary shock from modern to old-school graphics I do usually enjoy the less detailed graphics, it encourages more imagination. :)

14. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Yay, the terrible fake accents are back! Though we hardly get any sight of the campaign map in the trailer. It's pretty as we'd expect, but still nothing demonstrating strategic gameplay.

I actually find this a real shame. The key draw for me for Wargame was the alternate Cold War setting, which was tailor-made for a campaign. Throwing random assortments of units against each other in a more-or-less anonymous setting isn't all that engaging in isolation, and plays in fundamentally similar ways whatever the system - don't underestimate the immersion having an introductory campaign provides to engage you in the setting, and games that neglect that like Wargame and Sins tend not to hold my interest very long. I only really play Starcraft in multiplayer, but probably wouldn't that if the races had no backstory and were just the generic archetypes - I simply wouldn't have stayed interested long enough to learn the system.

There are a few key things from MOO that have never to my mind been successfully replicated in 4x space games since:

- Atmosphere: Maybe it's just growing up with it through two incarnations, but the assorted races of Distant Worlds, Endless Space etc. just pass me by while I can visualise the Alkari (my favoured MOO race) more readily. I've never found a game with races that engages me as well (even the ones that are mechanically, and often graphically, Alkari clones).

- Ship design and combat. This is a big one, as I alluded to earlier. For its time, MOO was more heavily combat-focused than similar games (i.e. Civ), with the original's sole victory condition ultimately reliant on killing the Guardian. It offered much finer control over how you used your ships than other games, and it's this that made ship design such a key feature of the series. That's something every later space 4x, including ship design just as a tickbox item because it was in MOO, has missed (at least among the ones I've played), and was also missed in Alpha Centauri which imported the design idea but retained basic, Civ-style combat that made it largely irrelevant. It's not about designing ships for the sake of designing ships, it's about designing ships and actively playing with your designs. You choose when to fire missiles, when to activate the black hole generator, how to use different designs in combination with one another, a much more tactical game than any subsequent 4x I've played.

- Fuel cell technologies. This may seem an odd one, but it's actually key. In MOO a lot of the game was devoted to racing to engine and fuel cell techs to explore the galaxy first and later to colonise it. This made exploration hugely relevant through most of the game, rather than just an early-game exercise to expand your empire in the immediate vicinity of your starting system. Nearly every subsequent space 4x has neglected this, using either unlimited distances or arbitrary 'space lanes' which give an EVE-like feel of moving between 'rooms' or Civ-style cities rather than actually exploring space. Only Distant Worlds, which has the best-designed exploration system I know of in 4x games, matches the MOO system, but for all it's generally a great game, Distant Worlds is the spiritual successor to MOO3, not MOO2, and its empire-control (rather than godsim) design and real time play puts it in a different subgenre, so it's never going to be the long-awaited successor to MOO2.

MOO itself is graphically dated, but MOO2 isn't too far from being comparable with Distant Worlds (with a more attractive interface) and it may have been the first 4x game to use animated leaderheads.

15. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

I picked up Shadows (the appeal of playing pre-warp - where the game should have started all along - was too great). I'm seeing no difference in resource distributions in my home system (only just developed hyperdrive). I've had some resource limitation issues, but it's difficult to understand exactly what's happening in some cases - if I'm short of Caslon because pirate saboteurs blew up my gas mining station, fair enough, but I've been able to churn out frigates that have a required component list including numerous resources that don't even exist in the system (EDIT: Well, okay, not numerous - mostly Nekros Stone), only to be told at one point that I can't build a mining station because my lead's run out (again as a result of a destroyed station). It's also not clear whether - like fuel shortages in earlier releases - this is an early-game limitation that's apparent only because of the earlier game stage (and so more limited resource access) rather than a result of any change to the economy.

Have characters been rebalanced as well? Every one of mine has at least one negative trait, and my leader's hilariously bad - a corrupt, disorganised bean counter with another negative ability I can't recall who has a bonus to colony income and a negative effect on everything from ship production to trade income and happiness. My only good character - a strong scientist - was killed when pirates blew up my research station (along with another who was a foreign spy - a nice touch thematically). It's a whole lot of fun, where in my brief experience of Legends characters seemed a bit too powerful, and to level up and lose the effects of disadvantageous traits too quickly.

Only things I have issues with at this point are minor niggles (beside the ever-present general awkwardness of the interface):

There's no adjustment for the pre-warp scale, so you can't set exploration at a finer resolution than "explore this system" unless you're clicking on a specific planetary object, just as in the later game.

I'm quite liking the new pirates as AI opponents, but not a fan of the fact that they take up "civilisation slots" - I've generated a galaxy with 11 starting civs, and all three that I've so far encountered are pirate factions. I'm still not sure thematically about pirates dominating the galaxy before anyone else has interstellar travel - how did they get it? I'd rather pirate factions emerged as civs in the same way that independent colonies do - so that they start off much as they did previously as random game elements that don't affect the civ counts, but can develop into fully-fledged factions.

On a thematic note, the planet names become awkward at a pre-warp scale, being "Starname 3" etc. - when you have only one system, surely your race would have named the neighbouring planets? There should be something in the code that generates unique random names for planets in a home system (as it does for moons). This makes sense for games at any starting tech stage, but when you play pre-warp you really get to 'know' the planets in your vicinity, and colonising the ringed marshy swamp world is a task akin to colonising Mars. Yet somehow colonising Deesanu 1 isn't as evocative...

EDIT: Another niggle, there's no Quick Start option to start as a pre-warp faction.

Also, I just experienced the DW version of the old Civ V scrolling bug, and starting new games or reloading the old one didn't resolve it - is this a known issue? It didn't affect the tutorial I loaded up (when reminded of it) to see whether it said anything about pre-warp starts I hadn't already determined (it didn't), but everything I loaded or started subsequently was affected.

16. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Can't wait for EU4. It's the game I'm looking forward to the most after BNW.