1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Monty 18 Civs, Controls entire N.Amer. 1290 BC strategy

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by King Younk, May 28, 2020.

1. Harv

Harv Emperor Supporter

Another interesting thing about Marathon is there will be more random events. Interestingly enough, I still have a page on my phone showing what these random events are and how to set up gambits.

dankok8 likes this.
  2. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

Well jeez. I followed your advice and this looks like it's going to be a fun game! I actually was given Masonry at a goody hut, so I really flew through everything! It's 1930 BC and I have all three wonders, and will soon Jaguar rush Roosie.

3. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

Anyway, here I am now. I'm wondering how I can turn the Inca into a vassal/conquer all of the western hemisphere before the rest of the world arrives, or what I should set my sights on now.

upload_2020-6-2_23-46-2.png

Attached Files:

4. dankok8

dankok8 Elected World Leader

Well you can either go the peaceful route or the not so peaceful route. REX all of North America maybe even parts of South America and launch the spaceship. Or just maybe get the Altars up, whip like mad, and conquer the world. Either way, I'd probably beeline Astro here since the longer the old world is trading and you're not, they are getting ahead and you're falling behind.

5. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

I'm going for Optics now. Or once Currency is done anyway.

I am building wonders like mad in Tenochtitlan though. Apparently the rest of the world is a bit behind. I will plan on building HE and NE there too - is that a wise move?

I think I'll continue to settle all the good land of North America, get Optics, get Feudalism and vassalize the Inca, then colonize SA (I have GW so I don't need to worry about barbarians much), and grant independence to that colony once it is in a good position.

upload_2020-6-3_0-52-33.png

Attached Files:

6. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

Put NE and Oxford in the capital. HE can be anywhere (Minneapolis is a good choice). Don't forget to put the National Park in Calgary. Just for funsies.

7. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

HE should not go in your capital. The HE city should be pumping out units. Your capital is busy wonder-spamming. Even if it's not wonder-spamming, you'll want your capital to be producing other things. HE should go in a high-production non-capital city. If you're wonder-spamming in your capital, then the NE is a good fit to your capital.

8. dankok8

Don't beeline Feudalism. It's a pretty useless tech. Get Astronomy and contact the old world and just wipe out the Inca. He's stuck in the mountains and will be very weak and very backwards.

EDIT: You can contact them with Optics but Astro gives you lucrative intercontinental trade routes.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  9. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

Well, I've contacted the old world, and conquered all of NA and SA except for maybe 5-10% of land (all tundra or desert), and vassalized the Inca. I already built HE in the capital, but am building units at a nice pace, so I can hold off the rest of the world for most of the game. Houston has Ironworks, and I am gunning for Three Gorges and Internet - UN is out of the question, really, since everyone is cautious or below towards me except the Inca.

Forgot to take a screenshot before exiting out of the game, but here's the save. Going to go for a Space Race victory.

One question - should I relinquish control of SA (about 13 cities) to the Inca? All I'm doing there is building military - primarily navy so that it's more versatile.

dankok8 likes this.
  10. dankok8

You should have cottaged most of SA because it's nice green land. Probably should run State Property because your maintenance costs must be through the roof.

11. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

Glad to know you're continuing your tradition of asking for advice and then ignoring it.

12. Abegweit

@Lennier Well it really doesn't make much difference because this start is just so powerful.

@dankok8 South America should get workshops, watermills, mines and other such. It's too late for cottages and we're not financial anyway. But yes, it's right to go commie.

@King Younk. Please please PLEASE build the NP in Calgary. That site is just so awesome.

13. dankok8

Well it really depends what his limiting factor is. If he has enough production already putting down Cottages isn't bad because they'll grow super fast with Emacipation. I played a game with Liz a few months ago on Emperor, colonized SA and cottaged it all up and was raking in insane commerce.

14. sylvanllewelyn

sylvanllewelyn Perma-newb

I am not sure why the OP is so eager to control North America quickly asap. I would at least wait until alphabet and trade techs before wiping them out. But, since that's what the OP wants to do, why does it take until BC-1290 to do so?

So I loaded the same settings:

Spoiler :
    Events on can get pretty crazy.
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

15. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Monte Earth18 on Marathon is a fun romp.

Spoiler :
    Following Abegweit settled capital 2N, settled second on stone, SH 2420, Gwall 2250, Pyramids 1890. Meanwhile researched IW, switched to Police State and jag rushed America.

Attached Files:

16. Abegweit

The limiting factor is time. Playing Monty, you'll be colonizing SA around 1 AD. Playing Liz, it would be maybe 1000 AD. In both cases that is far too late for cottages to be optimal. However, you can get insane anything from Brazil.

Let's you and me play a trial game at Emperor. I will I play the Incas. You play Liz. My start is horrible. Yours is great. I will wipe you out. The difference is that I get access to Brazil thousands of years before you.

17. FlyinJohnnyL

FlyinJohnnyL You need more workers....

I've never had the patience to deal with all of that jungle.

18. sylvanllewelyn

sylvanllewelyn Perma-newb

I've never had the patience to play on marathon speed.

lymond likes this.
  19. dankok8

Oh no doubt. But don't forget that in the hypothetical Inca vs. Liz matchup, I can get Paris, Madrid and Rome in the BC's and have unbelievable land without needing to deal with barbs and being in the old world, I'll probably be significantly ahead in tech in the mid game. Playing as Liz it would be more optimal in terms of early victory to just capture a few Euro capitals then snowball into domination. Or hell even going for culture I can get a far earlier win than relying on SA cottages and then winning space. But playing on the Earth map, it's sometimes kind of fun to run a role playing game. With the English, early Astro then colonization of Americas just seems right!

20. Abegweit

This being Emperor, you can win from any start. Obviously the best is Monty because of that amazing capital. The Stone is just gravy on top. I think second best is any European (except the English). Just push out a bunch of warriors and profit!

Then there's the Chinese. The start is good and there are so many good locations to expand into. OTOH, the Mongols have to be better. Warrior cheese like the Europeans so you get the China start after the AI has developed it.

Well yah, I have to agree that the English are better than the Inca because you can beat the crap out of the AI whereas I have to expand peacefully. You talked about role-playing. I like playing from a bad position with lots of potential.