1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

MOO2 questions on tech tree

Discussion in 'Other Civ-Related Games' started by kwahraps, Jan 29, 2018.

1. kwahraps

kwahraps Chieftain

First, I want to say thank you to the MOD developers for their work and efforts on this board to keep this game alive. I was originally on the Steam discussion board where Frey helped me run the Launcher on a MacBook. While the game still has amazing replayability, I just had some thoughts on questions on perhaps the 'aesthetics' of the game.

As for the tech tree, I really like the revamped layout.
    My first question is about the computer AI.
    Do they have a set algorithm for the techs they choose?
    When you move tech around, does it impact the way the computer players play?

Second, there are still quite a few gaps in the tech tree.
    Would it make sense to have techs available after they have already been seen?
    For instance, I would imagine that non-creative types always choose AutoFac over Missle Bases.
    Is there any need to have PMB show up later in the tree again or perhaps show up in Physics at 400?
    I'm just wondering if the tech tree can be further revised to give us more options on how we want to play. This could impact miniaturization, but I'm not suggesting filling in every blanks spots, just some spots that might allow for more strategic planning. I wouldn't want to hurt the original mechanics of gameplay, but perhaps provide another way to play the game...

Also, how easy is it to create new tech?
    Under Sociology, you have Military Tactics to build a Space Academy for 150.
    Would it be possible to add Sharpshooting (+25 to beam offense) or Evasive Maneuvers (+25 to Beam Defense) as possible techs in that group? Would that make for an interesting decision under military tactics? Or have them later in the tree?

Again, thanks to everyone for their time and efforts in making these mods and being active on the forums.

2. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

There is/was a large mod that was done and was at 1.40 last I knew. They would be able to give you some answers. I do not have the link any longer, but a google search should get some. CFC had a thread about the ICE mod and it was very deep into the workings.

3. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 Chieftain

Adding new tech apps and tech fields is hard coz such changes have impact in very many places in the code.