1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

More Asian Wonders Please

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by bioelectricclam, May 30, 2007.

1. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

I nominate the Trans-Siberian Railroad.

2. juggerxnaut

juggerxnaut Chieftain

to make a historical accuracy,i think the “Li Jiao” originated from confusionism could be a religion.

3. brianshapiro

brianshapiro King

As much as it might seem silly for Hollywood and Broadway to add to American based wonders, I think they wanted to look for big things which represented big developments in a civilizations. Three Gorges Damn at least represents the growth of China into a potential superpower. What do you want to put on the list for modern wonders thats meaningful, the Sydney Opera House? Who cares about that . :)

Ogedei , its a problem for classification because some people will say Taoism and Confucianism are more philosophy than religion, but 'philosophy' is a western word also, and there are many people who have problems with eastern thought being treated as philosophy in the Western sense.

Its really something that can be considered either in Western eyes...

While obviously the practice didn't have all the connotations of being a religion in Asia, since there was no similar word for religion, there are similar structures as religion.

I think some people are assuming there is a conscribed definition for the Western concept of religion, that its defined by things like "belief in a theos". These are definitions made after the word existed. Western religions also have metaphysics and philosophy behind them. One pertinent definition of religion is living ritual as philosophy, where in Christianity, going to Church and reading from the book is part of the life ritual, whereas eastern thought usually focuses more on different things, in some cases meditation (something also present in western culture, but different).

4. Ogedei_the_Mad

Ogedei_the_Mad Caffeinated Khagan

How about that big mega skyscraper, the Burj Al-Arab, they're building in Dubai as a wonder?

5. chaz1356

chaz1356 Warlord

"Maybe not in themselves, but taken in the context of The Pentagon, Mt. Rushmore, Wall Street and West Point it does reek a little of cultural arrogance."

You were talking about modern wonders and how so many are in america and in the west.....tell me some that are from the rest of the world that were built in the last 50 years..excluding the three gorges (it isn't completed yet)

6. brianshapiro

brianshapiro King

Which one? Dubai is the Las Vegas of skyscrapers. Its an interesting phenomenon, but , like Las Vegas, it sort of loses all meaning

ediT: ok now youve specified it :)

7. Ogedei_the_Mad

Ogedei_the_Mad Caffeinated Khagan

The Burj Al-Arab. I think that's what it's called.

EDIT: OK, you noticed my edit. :)

Well, what of it?

8. brianshapiro

brianshapiro King

I don't think it would be a bad idea.

9. mice

mice Moose

Ogedei_the_Mad and Dida, thanks for the debate. I enjoyed it. Very interesting.

I went to Taipei this year and was surprised to see a Buddhist temple with a Confusian temple in the back, of the same building/complex. People were praying
    and offering at both, one after the other.

BTW, Taipei 101 as a wonder. Highest building in the world.

10. brianshapiro

brianshapiro King

People are competing to build taller and taller buildings all the time. I don't think thats worthy as a wonder. If anything it was only important when skyscrapers started to exist.

11. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

I care about opera and architechture... Causes increases in income due to tourism and provides one winning Olympic bid....

Of course there's probably a larger constituency for the Foster's Brewery Wonder..

12. brianshapiro

brianshapiro King

I care about opera and architecture.. its just the opera house doesn't really represent any milestone in history so i think thats why it seems strange to include it as a wonder, not that Australia is considered a civilization in the game anyway

13. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

A desert continent with no other civs is always a tough start.

14. Saim

Saim King

Australia isnt a civ, but the Opera House is still pretty significant.

@ The OP: Zheng He's travels... I don't know how that's a 'wonder' even in the broadest sense. I agree on Shi Huang's Tomb/Teracotta Warriors and the Silk Road though.

15. bioelectricclam

bioelectricclam Warlord

Well it could be a Wonder like how the Apollo Program is a wonder of sorts...and earlier Civ titles had wonders of the world like "Sun Tzu's Art of War" and "Magellan's Expedition", so it doesn't seem too far fetched for this old timer...Civ II was good times.

16. brianshapiro

brianshapiro King

and Darwin's Voyage, and Universal Suffrage

17. bioelectricclam

bioelectricclam Warlord

Awh yeah! Heh...I remember Universal Suffrage being ridiculously good to combo with something else, but not what or why. Then there was also "Cure to Cancer" and Theory of Gravity. Lot's of wierd stuff back then, haha. Now its all American tourist traps =/.

18. sniprpenguin

sniprpenguin Chieftain

I agree with the Mausoleum of the First Emperor, but not with anything else...

I mean, consider the designer's point of view.

Too many wonders means that they lose that "Ha-HA, I have a Wonder and you don't!" feeling and it becomes too hard to make them all unique without ruining the image in people's minds of those wonders.

Edit: Also, I second the Trans-Siberian Railroad. "All your units have +2 movement on railroads"...

19. jeejeep

jeejeep qwertyuiop

I believe the Mausoleum of the First Emperor has infinitely more value as a wonder than something like Mt. Rushmore or even the Pentagon, which were only included because they are recognizable to Americans.

20. sniprpenguin

sniprpenguin Chieftain

Duh.

Mausoleum of the First Emperor
    Requires Pottery and Hereditary Rule
    +1 :culture: per unit garrisoned in city
    -OR-
    Great Generals provide +4 EXP when attached to a unit