1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

More Cities, Road Network

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of Democracy II' started by GaryNemo, Oct 13, 2002.

1. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

Looking at How to Expand? , the people favor Safe Filler Cities. We have two possible Forest Cities. F3 could be founded next turn, Forest S of Hills. That will boost the growth rate of Civvium.

And, LN just built a Settler. It will build the final connecting road to RC. Then it could build one or two other roads (See MonkE's post in Strategy of Productivity) and go found F4, Filler on Forest 3NW of Regia Civitas.

Both Forest Cities could then begin building Caravans, certainly F4. Stay Size=1, Food box climb up to 10 or so, no guard, then choke onto Forest and crank Production.

But, maybe F3 needs a guard. I would prefer to Found Now, goose Civvium, and deal with irrigating its Central City Spot later. Some analysis from a South Eastern Baron in Aonia RC Poll 650BC . Maybe the next LN Settler...

Shall we ask Queen Jayne to found both these Cities on Forest?

I found this on Riot Factor: Deity level unrest which mentions something about Rules.txt and "14 ; Riot factor based on # cities (higher factor lessens the effect)". That's in there, all right, but I'm not sure what it means for us.

Domestic Road Network

We could build a Settler, that irrigates and keeps on working, not build a city. The Road from RC to LN to GG to Elysium is nearly complete. Serutan points out that the next MD Settler could build several needed Roads. How about CJ to Gabba Gabba & Elysium. Ideas?

2. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

I think that we should now have
    a couple of settlers dedicated to getting all of our cities
    connected by road. One of these would be the
    settler currently under construction at Marl Downs.
    Perhaps we could hold off founding one of the filler
    cities, and push for the road network instead.

3. Leowind

Leowind Emperor

I think we're at a point where we need to be thinking about connecting cities. We have a Viking horse, and who knows what else, roaming our continent, and other civs/barbs may not be far behind. a good road network will allow faster travel of units for defensive purposes, and speed caravan deliver and increase payoff.

What of roading on the way to new city sites? I know this delays founding of the city, but makes it instantly connected to the rest of the empire. What are other's thoughts on this?

4. MonkE

MonkE Primate Philosopher

I also would like to see completion of a road network, with first priority given to anticipated caravan routes. Iron city should be connected to CJ, and Boreum Road from G2NE to Elysium or CJ will be needed.

Roading to a new city site works well with a team of 2 or 3 settlers.

5. GaryNemo

We have been building roads. But I feel all at once is wasteful.

We have a delicate situation with the Vikings. It is merely a pause we can use to build roads. Once the area is clear, we must resume building cities, and take the time to pave out to them later. Productivity.

Another thing. If we're going to tie up a Settler building Roads (remember the old Settler from None, now Marl Downs?), perhaps that Settler should first irrigate it's spawning city so the people can feel well fed as they carry the bricks...

6. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Having too many roads than workers to use them can be 'wasteful' as far as production, but a road network connecting the cities can save us tons of turns for moving units around.

We need to balance city building and road building. Maybe have each settler build thing of road for the city it leaves, then buld one just before founding a new city. Then something like every third or fourth settler (preferrably from a city with higher food) can stay on constant road building. When it reaches the end of the line it can then start to irrigate squares or found a new city.

7. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

At the point where F3 and F4 are founded I feel that the TF, RC, Civvium, Elysium region is completely filled up and I think that region should not be building settlers anymore. I think that region should start to be developed, meaning: building temples, marketplaces and libraries in the major cities but also building cravans in the fillers to support wonder-construction in RC and Elysium.
    Part of this developing the region is also building roads for trade and irrigation for growth. I'd like one or two settlers to be put to this task.

The Reneaux, Dellham, CJ and Iron city region are still under construction and should focus on building settlers and units to colonize the northern peninsula and after that the hill/desert area. Another important task for this region is building an army to get those Vikings back for all they have done to us! :D ;)
    This region needs no terrain improvements yet, the rivers give us trade and high movement. Later irrigation of the river tiles would be nice to generate more food.

The Marl Downs, Mordhiemia area is still under construction too, with the lack of rivers we need roads here too but no irrigation yet, we need to get some more settlers out of these cities to let our empire grow.

8. MonkE

MonkE Primate Philosopher

The outlying provinces will appreciate any help (settlers or units) that Aonia can spare! It's quite a burden on the few cities to take care of expansion and military buildup.

9. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

That's true, maybe we could build some units in between, building a unit indeed is not such a great task for a big city. When it is brought to the outlying cities it can be rehomed there if necessary.

10. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

I think it'd be a mistake to say that the Aonia cities are to be let off building settlers now. I'd prefer to have a settler from each city early to improve the terrain, ensure we've got a big road network and be able to hop onto boats south and westwards while the cities are still small rather than building them from larger cities. When you've got a library in a size 6 city then you'll lose quite a few arrows if you build a settler but if you've built it first then you will be able to work out how better to deal with the shortfall.
    No settlers from Elysium!!! One each from all the others though please! :D

11. Leowind

Leowind Emperor

We need continued balance between improvements and founding cities. We need road networks completed. We need roads before irrigation! We need to find a way to continue to build settlers (this is where I always run into trouble in my games :( ). I wouldn't worry about every filler city at this point as much as pushing North with cities. It will do little good to chase off the Vikings if we don't claim the land; they'll be back. We need a wave of settlers with guards right behind our Northern Expeditionary force to build roads and found cities.

12. mordhiem

mordhiem Quantum Physicist

Yes, settlers, settlers, settlers! We need more settlers! If you keep the population of a city to 3 max. it doesn't need a temple to quell unhappiness. I am a keen believer that until 0AD, you only need to build Settlers, Military units and Wonders, with the SSC being the only place where city imps are built. You shouldn't need to build anything else until around then, if we run out of land to settle, build ships and find more!

13. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

I agree we need to do something to stop the Vikings from settling our continent so I made a little attempt on city placement in the northern part. I placed 4 cities there (yellow dots). Now that we've run into the Viking-problem we might also start thinking about the Indians at the eastern front. Once they have mapmaking too they might settle at our eastern coast (east of Iron city) so I placed 2 cities there too. Discuss.
    (I know this really is not my job as foreign advisor but I couldn't resist doing this...)

Attached Files:

14. GaryNemo

It's a very nice job, Civ1. And it looks like it was planned by our foreign advisor. I mean, what about River City? Coal City?

Generally, I like the packing I see here. Wondering about the Blue Dot 4 NW of Iron City -- with the Mtns, the Plains S of the Dot is an alternative. And the Banana city, N NW of Fruit - is that Rout's pick?

Rout, what do your Row Boats discern to improve this plan?
    MonkE, what about River City? Coal City?
    Elsaak? Advisors? We need Archers and Settlers both, right?

Aonia can provide a stream of Settlers for this plan.

Picking sites is one thing, when to found them is secondary.
    Civ1, thanks again for this effort. It appears excellent!

15. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

The southern blue dot could have a trireme parked outside to act as a bridge to the next island and those lovely Indians!!

16. duke o' york

It would also act as a magnet for any invasion forces the Indians may care to send our way so it will require a decent defence to say the least. We are on the way to HBR and then to poly- and monotheism so we can definitely start to amass an enormous army. Crusaders and elephants could easily sweep through the civs that don't have the Great Wall but I notice that one of our enemies has already started it so we'll have to be quick with any invasion. Blitzkrieg!

17. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

Two of our enemies have started the Great Wall. Persians and Indians.

18. duke o' york

Sorry, didn't make that clear enough. I meant that only one of our projected enemies to the north has started it, but since it is the Indians then I put forward that we should attack them first before they can finish it. They'll be a very tough nut to crack indeed once it is done and we can kiss goodbye to the chance of grabbing the Pyramids from them until we have some decent attack troops. Unless we could rush to metallurgy before they get feudalism but would anyone like to bet on that?

19. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

To clarify why I posted this:
    I've seen many posts here to quickly settle the northern countries to avoid any new Viking settlements so these sites looked pretty good to me to do this. The blue sites are meant as city sites to avoid any Indian settlements at our eastern shores.
    In no way I tried to take anybody else's job. So I hope nobody is feels I'm trying to do so.

I know somebody else posted a city plan like this too a while ago (also with yellow dots) but I couldn't find it anymore...

The main objective really is to found the four yellow cities first to avoid any new Viking settlements and then the two blue ones to avoid any Indian settlement plans in the future (once they have mapmaking)

20. GaryNemo

duke, you are a visionary, a dreamer. Btw, I think Metallurgy is excellent - the Great Wall is no more, and the Cannons have 2 hit points, quite a blast.

Assume for the moment we have limited resources (Lol). Shall we settle the Blue dots first? the Yellow dots? the River and Coal Fillers? We'll send out an Archer and Settler, right? Then soon later a Settler to pave out to the new site. right? Comments?