More Civ, Less Fanatic

Do you really think that this will work? It amazes me that people will start stupid threads like this thinking that this will have some affect other than people telling you where you can go.

I expect it to work on those that have a modicum of respect for other human beings and some semblance of civility, yes. The rest will behave as immaturely as they always do.

On the bright side, they'll be much easier to pick out in a crowd.

Seriously, as an overall whole, people really need to chill out a bit here. Everyone wants a better Civ5 game.

Some people have differing and often completely opposite opinions on the current stage of the game. Great, I get that. But the flaming, baiting, and trolling has become excessive and really needs to stop. Every single one of us has the ability to demand more while displaying tact and patience with each other.

And believe me, I've got caught up in it a few times myself. For that, I apologize.

Let's try to tone down the personal attacks and emotional responses and practice some civility and maturity.

I didn't read the rest of what I don't doubt was a stellar thread, but I want to second this big time. This is a perfectly fine place to criticize Civ5. It is not a perfectly fine place to deliberately assault the good will of others in an attempt to exaggerate your own dissatisfaction with Civ5 and make it appear more ubiquitous than it, in fact, is. The complaint threads, when taken past a certain threshold, do far more to irritate your fellow fanatics than they do to inform Firaxis of 'anything.'

I still maintain that many posters know this as well as I do and seek to defame and bludgeon anyone that isn't sufficiently enraged about 'Shafer 5' or whatever cute name is in this week. I think some of the posts where various members have discussed how Civ5 sales could 'vindicate' the direction they've taken the series illuminate the real agenda here. Create Internet Stink>>Lower Sales>>Force Civ6 to regress to older game design. Fortunately, this plan really does not and can not work.

This is so irrelevant to the general discussion of civ 5, op. Thank you for wasting all our time.

Actually it is relevant to the way the general discussion of civ 5 has been going.

This is so irrelevant to the general discussion of civ 5, op. Thank you for wasting all our time.

'Wasting time' is actually the most relevant thing to the Civilization series. If you have time to play Civilization, much less post about it on a forum, there's no way you're so frugal with your time that reading a single thread is a big deal.

I didn't read the rest of what I don't doubt was a stellar thread, but I want to second this big time. This is a perfectly fine place to criticize Civ5. It is not a perfectly fine place to deliberately assault the good will of others in an attempt to exaggerate your own dissatisfaction with Civ5 and make it appear more ubiquitous than it, in fact, is.

While I agree with everything you're saying, I'd present it as more than just an indictment of some vague collective of people who dislike Civ 5. This kind of behavior is present on both "sides" of that debate.

There seem to be a small handful of us who either have nuanced opinions on the game and can see both sides, and/or are just plain tired of such hyperbolic ranting from both supporters and detractors. Hopefully more people will grow weary with it and join our ranks of CIVILization fans, AND THEN WE TAKE OVER THE WORLD. :mad: ;)

(BTW: Did I actually see... *gasp* humor in this thread??)

(BTW: Did I actually see... *gasp* humor in this thread??)

I hope not. As some of my eight infractions have taught me, humor is against the rules. Please try to remain unflinchingly serious while discussing your video game, thank you.

I hope not. As some of my eight infractions have taught me, humor is against the rules. Please try to remain unflinchingly serious while discussing your video game, thank you.

Wow, you are ahead of me by seven! I'd better work on my trolling. :)

My apologies. I appear to have momentarily taken a lighthearted tone. I will endeavor to avoid such lapses in the future. :scan:

I did read his post. The whole thing was him talking down to everyone dissatisfied with the game.

I love the game and perfer it over Civ4 but it sure could use some improvements.
And I agree with you that the OP's fanboism Moderator Action: Such derogative labels are not allowed. was showing through on his rant to stop anyone post issues they have with the game.
His is the worst form of whining.

I've gotten quite a few infractions lately too. It's just the state of things I suppose.

I love the game and perfer it over Civ4 but it sure could use some improvements.
And I agree with you that the OP's fanboism was showing through on his rant to stop anyone post issues they have with the game.
His is the worst form of whining.

The OP of this thread? Or the OP of that post? The two are not the same. OP is typically reserved for the thread's creator, so clarification would be nice.

I know. Amazing what can happen when everyone just takes a deep breath and things not so serious...

Lucinia excluded, of course. *puts on serious face*

:D

Whatever. Stop whining, fanboy. You can't oppress our viewpoints with your rage-filled appeals to civility!! ;) :lol:

I got 3 in one week or something crazy like that.

To get back on point, the cute names are the worse. And @SuperJay in all fairness, equivalency on both sides is not going to cut it.

Yes, people who get annoyed with the complaining something retaliate with hyperbolic claims, but the vast majority of the posts, and the cute names like V0.5 or Shafer's X etc. are coming from a specific group of people. Then there's the condescension and the claims of being a true fan, vs. those who like it, being not real fans.

It's mostly coming from one side, and certainly, it muddies it by saying we're all collectively guilty. In a sense we are, but the volume of posts generated, and annoying things done have been disproportionatley been from the crowd who 'hates' it and just has to tell people of it.

Jharii:

Our opinions are too close to each other. Do not settle your opinions near ours in the future.

I couldn't help but notice how pathetic you were, and when I did, I couldn't help but share.

An opportunity like this only comes once in a lifetime. It's now or never!

Moderator Action: I'm sorry for the OP to say this, but this thread is really going on bad, and will probably lead to nowhere.
I fully agree with him, but obviously this thread will not lead to its goal and will only degenerate more. Because of this i'll close the thread, before i have to hand out more infractions, which will to 100% happen.

Additional note: Discussion infractions in public is not allowed in this forum. Deal with it via PM.

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Moderator Action: I've been convinced by 2 people to open this thread again.
But attention: If it goes downwards, then the lock will come quickly again.

Thanks for re-opening this, The_J. Appreciate your consideration.

And @SuperJay in all fairness, equivalency on both sides is not going to cut it.

Yes, people who get annoyed with the complaining something retaliate with hyperbolic claims, but the vast majority of the posts, and the cute names like V0.5 or Shafer's X etc. are coming from a specific group of people. Then there's the condescension and the claims of being a true fan, vs. those who like it, being not real fans.

It's mostly coming from one side, and certainly, it muddies it by saying we're all collectively guilty. In a sense we are, but the volume of posts generated, and annoying things done have been disproportionatley been from the crowd who 'hates' it and just has to tell people of it.

I agree the cute names have gotten juvenile and old. (Though I admit thinking "Shafer Rating" was a humorous way to describe global happiness.)

And you're right that a lot of inflammatory posts come from "the detractors," but I didn't say 'everyone involved has an equal number of hostile posts.' I just said the behavior happens on both sides, which is true. Basically, I don't think attributing all the "problems" to one vague, nebulous group of shadowy characters is very constructive or helps move us towards improving the tone of our dialogue in the General forum.

But I do know where you're coming from, and I know I'm one of the people that's contributed to that frustration, and I apologize. I'm making a much stronger effort to avoid sarcasm and flame-bait and focus more on just helping people enjoy Civ5, even if I don't personally find it very engaging right now.

I still want others to enjoy it, especially brand-new players coming to the franchise for the first time. That's really important to me; more important than my own enjoyment of the game in its current state. Plus, it's a way I can contribute constructively around here, since I'm not a modder and can't actually fix some of the issues I have with the game; at the very least I can help others enjoy it. :p

Top Bottom