More Civs

Less is more.

not really. quality and quantity are never mutually exclusive. while i'd rather read something short and to the point than something long-winded that doesn't really say anything, i also wouldn't mind reading something that's both well done and goes into detail, provided those details are also well done.

Why does Canada always get passed over as a Civ? Since there's now an Australian Civ can't Canada get some love? Especially considering in real life Canada is larger, more populous and richer than Australia and is much more active in space.

Maybe just Canada on its own would be too weak but I could see a Northern Council of Canada, Greenland (Denmark?), Iceland and Norway being formed to protect resources exposed in the arctic. The alliance would be weak in military and culture but strong in economy and diplomacy.

I like the idea of a Canadian faction (in contrary to my opposition to a Canadian civ). A nice idea to pose a future Canadian faction is to adapt the idea of alternate future presented in the Kaiserreich mod of Hearts of Iron II.

In this mod, Germany won the First World War and Britain is engulfed by revolution, forcing the Royal Family, the nobility and the rich industrialists to flee the island and take refugee in Canada (in a parody of what happened to the Portuguese Royal Family during the Napoleon Invasion of Portugal). The Canadian government is then substituted by the King and his ministers, and the country turn itself into a divided pathernalistic society where the fears of Syndicalism pushes the nation into a more militaristic and undemocratic path.

Adapting the idea to the context of the Great Mistake, Great Britain is engulfed by the ocean, forcing the Royal family and most of the British population to take refugee in Canada, transfering all Royal institutions to the contry. Considering that Global Warming mostly benefits Canada, giving it more arable land, the country enter in a great era of prosperity and population boom (reaching the number of habitants of present US).

The faction leader should be a British-Canadian prince that is now proclaimed King in the newly discovered planet. What about an Edward X? :p

Speaking of new civs...

So in a perfect world, what factions and leaders would you want in an expansion, mod, or added at the last second to the base game? ;)

Here's mine:

Faction: The Eighth Fire
Leader: Devon Crow

short description: A union of rebels, revolutionaries, and misplaced minorities that have taken over parts of North America following the chaos of the Great Mistake. Led by a young native american actor-turned-terrorist. Stole their spaceship from the ARC.

long version: Devon Crow is insane. At least, that's what every other faction leader will tell you, and Crow helps the image along whenever he can. "The biggest problem I've ever faced," he said on his sole international TV interview, "was the day I had to decide whether to be Alexander, Hitler, or Jesus. I chose all I three." Crow's like a Robin Hood, if Robin Hood had tanks. An outlaw, a conquer, and a revolutionary. To to the people he leads, he's nothing short of a messiah. He's the ultimate wildcard of leaders.

In his younger years Crow was an actor, a movie star, world famous and filthy rich at the age of 18. The next year he turned terrorist, using his fortune to build his own rebel army out of the world's dissatisfied minorities: native americans, migrant workers, muslim americans, christian arabs; people everywhere who didn't fit into the new world flocked to the charismatic ex-actor, and to his promise of a world built just for them. Through guerrilla wars and terrorism Crow and his followers have built their own little nation--and now have pulled off the ultimate heist, a spaceship. It seems they might get their own world after all...

Their name, the Eighth Fire, refers to a prophecy of the Anishinabwe (a group of native american tribes): according to the prophecy, there are 8 eras of the world (the fires), with the final one being (after a couple ages of hate and evil) an age of joy, peace, and paradise. Crow's followers are people who have been denied their paradise, but are prepared to make their own.

For more from that thread...

Hmm. perhaps the sollution for all theese factions, could be that you could create your own.

All they have to do is give each country one or multiple: strengths and weaknesess. After that player can choose maybbe 3 countries and name that faction for your playtrough.

For example:

Choosing: Sweden, Switzerland, Finland

Sweden having: +1 diplo -1 military
Switzerland having: +1 diplo -1 spying
Finland having: + 1 military -1 health.

Giving you +2 diplo, -1 health, -1 spying..

And you could name to what ever you want.

Why does Canada always get passed over as a Civ? Since there's now an Australian Civ can't Canada get some love? Especially considering in real life Canada is larger, more populous and richer than Australia and is much more active in space.

Both those countries have less population than California, just to put that in perspective.

California space nation PLEASE. :crazyeye:

From what we've seen so far, faction leaders don't seem to have any negative attributes and since we've already seen some of them that affect food, production and energy, I think it is safe to assume there will be one more that focuses on science (future dlc).

Personally, a thousand potential starting combinations are enough to keep me entertained for a little while (just a little while) so I feel no rush to add additional factions to the mix. ;)

Top Bottom