1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

More evidence published that Neanderthals were little different from "modern humans"

Discussion in 'World History' started by innonimatu, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

I read the related article on the BBC. It's a shame that none of our cousins survived to inherit the world with us.

Phrossack likes this.
  2. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Some of their DNA survives in us. This means it's not exactly the case that they all just up and died.

3. Olleus

Olleus Deity

4. Imaus

Imaus King

I wonder how this ties into H. Idatu and the Denisovans as well.

5. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

And remains of a 210000 Homo Sapiens may have been found inside a cave in Greece. This one got moving out of Africa rather early...

Some day the view that our species has a longer, richer history with diverse variants mixing together will take over. But scientific consensus being what it is, the generation of academics who built their careers on the previous theory will have to be naturally extinguished before that happens.

Kyriakos likes this.
  6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Yes, apparently the Africa theory is not sustainable by evidence. Ideally politics should not get in the way of its dismissal when it becomes possible, but as you said individual careers also will present resistance to change. I do hope, though, that if/when it becomes tenable to overule that theory, there won't be false notes of politics and it will be treated scientifically.

7. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

Which "Africa theory" is that?

Clearly our lineage originated in Africa, clearly our ancestors migrated out of there into the far corners of the world. The open questions are in the details; as in, how many waves of early-human and pre-human migration were there (and what about back-migration into Africa?), which species got to where at what times, which variants (like Neandertals and Denisovans) existed where and to what extent do traces of their DNA survive in modern humans, and so on.

yung.carl.jung and Lexicus like this.
  8. Kyriakos

This discussion took place so long ago that maybe Neanderthals still walked among us at the time :p

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  9. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

I harbour suspicions about some of my neighbours.

yung.carl.jung and Kyriakos like this.
  10. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

This being kind of a pet interest to me, I found some new speculative news about neanderthal tool-making worth posting.

I'm not sure they identified a real piece of string, but it looks like one. It also shows how perishable early material culture of humans was, and that so much must be irretrievably lost. Leading us to underestimate the depth of out development history.

11. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Would be interesting if our archeologists could find out whether Neandertaler had discovered the Tech of rope-twisting

The essence of a rope made of several smaller ropes or strings is that when at one point a string is damaged or cut, by the sticking resistance between the strings, several of such discontinuities (damage or end of string) can happen in a rope without affecting the strenght of the rope as a whole too much.

Example:
    I have a rope made of two strings and string A is damaged at 30 cm and string B is damaged at 70 cm.
    If those two strings would just be paralel the "rope" is broken... bit in a twisted rope of say 100 cm, the rope will still have a strenght of 1 string.

See this vid

Because this allows for using short strings to make much longer rope, materials like wool and grass are suddenly useful

Here traditional grass rope making

And yes
    With strong reliable ropes you can build lots of stuff from housing to boats and more in the realm of neandertalers
    A circular coracle also possible
    https://www.theguardian.com/culture...an-tablet-noah-ark-constructed-british-museum

https://www.contextualdictionary.co...-Ark-Before-Noah-A-Great-Adventure-vd-1234542

EnglishEdward and innonimatu like this.
  12. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Pet interest remains pet interest :D

"Modern humans were present in Europe at least 46,000 years ago, according to new research on objects found in Bulgaria, meaning they overlapped with Neanderthals for far longer than previously thought."

yung.carl.jung and Truthy like this.
  13. Modder_Mode

Modder_Mode Prince

It appears your initial prediction more than 2 years ago was correct. With the Y chromosome now sequenced, the results were very surprising to the researchers and changes everything that we thought about the Neanderthals.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/09/200924141449.htm

My personal prediction is that further research in years to come will conclude that the Neanderthals essentially were modern humans.

innonimatu and Kyriakos like this.
  14. Kyriakos

Didn't the N-thals have a bigger brain?
    It could mean that - given time - they would have been on average far more intelligent a sub-species.

15. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Homo Sapiens brain cells are very special

"A team of researchers has managed to introduce a number of human brain cells into mouse brains, making them partly human. The new mice have grown to be more intelligent than their ordinary mice counterparts and have demonstrated improved performance in cognitive ability tests".

https://www.intelligentliving.co/mi...rs has,performance in cognitive ability tests.

16. Kyriakos

I guess they didn't try to inject the mice with Neanderthal brain-cells :)

Hrothbern likes this.
  17. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

My theory is that Neanderthals lacked the abstract thinking capacity to comprehend the concept of "war", leading to their slow extermination :(