1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

More historical and dynamic Civ 6

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Requests & Ideas' started by Cagarustus, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Cagarustus

Cagarustus Chieftain

I had an idea the other day about Civilization. I felt that the game, as it currently is, is not 'realistic' enough, in the sense that it doesn't accurately reflect the development of different societies throughout history. Each civilization is treated exactly the same, each with a unique ability that is skewed toward certain victory conditions, and that's it.

What I would like to see is a more dynamic Civilization game. For e.g. industrialization was a significant event in the development of societies, which was achieved through certain social and environmental conditions; but in the current game, all you need to do to become 'industrialized' is to research certain technologies/civics.

I think this would be a good idea for a Mod, but it would be like an overhaul Mod that changed the game quite significantly, but not so much that it alters the fundamentals of the game.

My idea is this: that in order to progress to the Industrial Era and beyond, players must meet certain 'conditions'. This would be achieved the following way:

1) the 'Industrialization' tech would be the prerequisite technology to enter the Era. The technology is prohibitively expensive and can only be 'researched' through the granting of Eurekas obtained by meeting certain conditions; for e.g. players must:
    • be in the Renaissance Era;
    • have at least 50 population in their empire;
    • have at least 8 cities;
    • have conquered at least 3 cities;
    • have a total science, production and cultural output of 100;
    • have at least 30 combat units (or a certain military ranking);
    • etc.
    Each of the above would be 'eureka' boosts that would contribute to the technology 'Industrialization'.

Once you have researched Industrialization, and have become 'Industrialized', you gain the following benefits:
    • all Renaissance + units have +7 combat strength against units from previous eras;
    • all districts and civilians costs reduce progressively, until they reach a certain bottom-floor cost;
    • science output is increased by +10;
    • growth is increased;
    • etc.
    Another idea is to implement the same methodology but apply it early in the game; i.e. the Agricultural Revolution. The Agricultural revolution led to the development of complex societies, which paved the way for civilization. All Civs start off in a Pre-Civilization phase, and must again meet certain conditions in order to become a Civilization. For e.g. players must:
    • work certain resources such as wheat, (and additional resources to be modded in); players must harvest a certain number of such resources; such resources are located in 'grassland' - i.e. land must be fertile
    • introduce 'beasts of burden' as a resource, such as: cows, (also including sheep); civilizations which have these resources can then build farms, and increase their food production;
    • civs must conquer at least 2 city-states;
    • must establish at least 3 trade routes between their own cities;
    • must have research 'Pottery';
    • must have at least 4 cities in your empire.
    • etc.
    Obviously, these ideas would be contrary to the idea of civilization. I recognize the importance of allowing all civs to progress equally; but I think Civ 6 can be more realistic and dynamic if it reflected the conditions necessary to be a successful civilization.

2. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy Civ is brain candy.

I love this idea but having multiple Eurekas for a tech is impossible with the current coding.
    Another problem is the tech costs. Tech costs can have an impact on where the tech is in the tech tree. The costs actually determine which column the tech will be in... sort of. Sometimes the tech will stay put if the before and after techs are placed properly. It can be tricky.

3. Cagarustus

Cagarustus Chieftain

Ah ok. Cheers. Appreciate the reply.